Should Looks Matter or just tone?

I don't know if I got lucky, spoiled, or what...but all of mine (to me) have the trifecta of play-ability, sound, and looks.

It's very possible somebody else, whether they're guitar enthusiasts or just somebody in a crowd I'm playing for, may not like the look or sound of a particular guitar of mine. But for me, they all tick every box.

In response to the OP's inquiry, though....I have to admit, I'm very drawn to gorgeous tops and vibrant colors. It's the first thing that'll draw my eye to a guitar. I may even go as far as to say the pretty ones are the first I will want to try. On the other hand, though, being I have a couple plain, solid color PRS guitars that sound and play fantastic....well, lets just say I wouldn't kick 'em outta bed for not being as "fancy" as the others. I will also say, P90's (to me) are tricky. I LOVE the sound of P90's, but find them the hardest to visually place in a guitar. Cream in a Goldtop look fantastic. Black in a Black Gold look good, too. But I've seen some that just turn me off, so I don't know if I'd buy a guitar with P90's that I didn't care for the look of. I'd set out to find something that more fit my taste visually, if possible.

Play-ability and sound is a must, though. That's why I play only PRS guitars anymore. I've tried and played some beautiful guitars from other manufacturers in the past, but none ticked all three boxes like PRS has for me.

Last edited:
Don’t worry about changing prs pickups for other brands. Make it your own! (I’m currently waiting on a set of pickups to arrive to swap out some well loved oem’s. can’t wait :))

Looks have never mattered to me, whether guitars, cars, or women.

I’m not that shallow.

I don’t blame you.

I’ll bet all the nice girls with great personalities who were also very good dancers were very happy that you took them out and treated them so well.

That’s exactly how I felt, too.

5wQhgR2.png

I’m all about the looks. Tone doesn’t matter at all. The guitar can sound like an accordion for all I care as long as it’s got a killer figured top and beautiful stain. Really, who cares about tone?

Just kidding. I’ll have BOTH please.

I have some ugly guitars.

One of them has remained consistently ugly since I got it. But its essential to me & far too useful to get rid of (SE CU24).
One of them is growing on me. After 3 years I now don't mind its looks (early handmade Fingerbone).
One of them is kept under the bed. I have nightmares about it. Somebody please take it away (Jackson Soloist).

Back