Should Looks Matter or just tone?

88prs

OCD for PRS
So I put Tonerider Rebel P90's (humbucker size) in my all Black S2 Standard 24 (Yes, I did it, non-PRS pups in a PRS and I feel terrible)

The tone is amazing and even got comments from band mates. But it looks like a Fender Twin now! with the All Black guitar and Chrome covered Pickups... Yikes! Maybe I just need time to let it sink in? Anyone else do this mod?

https://oi996.photobucket.com/albums/af88/88prs/S2/S2P90.jpg?t=1570739894

Last edited:
I think there is a certain consideration about looks that can with some people determine whether or not the player will want to play the instrument despite its tone. If you are not attracted to the instrument visually, will you feel like picking it up, want to be seen playing it etc regardless of whether the tone is the 'best' ever.

I don't think there is a one answer for all here and I would expect there to be some people that couldn't care less about the look and its all about the tone. I don't know if there is anyone that is all about the look and couldn't care less about the tone though - but I am sure there are some - those that buy fakes just to have the right look and name on the headstock or those that buy a guitar and the first thing they want to do is swap the Pick-ups. To me that says the way a guitar looks is more important than the tone because they bought the guitar and are now seeking to change its tone. If Tone mattered most, then surely they would buy the guitar that had the tone they wanted regardless of looks rather than buy a guitar and then try to change its tone?

As I said, there isn't a right answer and I am sure that the look and tone will have different importance to everyone. I can't deny that look plays a big part in my decision as PRS guitars are known for their stunning look - however they also have an excellent tone too so its possible to get instruments that both look and sound stunning without having to compromise on either...

Well it sounded awesome before I changed the pickups, but all my PRS guitars, CU24, 22, Mc are humbuckers so wanted something different... I'll just put it back. Gives me a reason to get a Mcsoapy!

I live in the world of beautiful guitars vicariously thru my friends. Mine aren’t ugly, but they’re all function. Even among a couple hundred Private Stocks, my selection would be purely the best playing and sounding. It might even end up being Santana shaped.

IMO there are two questions here.
1. What is the answer to a question in general. Should looks matter or just tone.
Answer: Of course looks matter. If that were not true nobody would pay for private stock tops. They would put regular maple tops on them.
2. Does the fact that P90's look odd in your guitar matter?
Answer: Only if it matters to you. There are some who would want them to look odd so that folks would wonder what you have under the hood. It's all in the perspective.

I downsized my collection to the 8 best sounding ( with me playing ) ones but I must admit I am a bit sad looking at my wall from time to time.
I let some pretty ones go ;(
IMG_5112 by

I got one of them there double neck Ovations. I call it Rosey because she's a whole lotta guitar. Pretty sure she is the reason I have pinched nerve issues in my left shoulder/neck area.

Looks? Sound? How about feel?

I'll take an ugly guitar that feels great over a great looking one that doesn't feel as good.

For me, amps/speakers factor much more towards great sound than guitars/pickups. That said, I think a change of pickups can change the feel of a guitar once it's plugged into an amp.

For me, guitars are all about feel. Everything else is secondary. YMMV

looks ABSOLUTELY matter from an artistic standpoint. The aesthetics of the instrument will directly affect the emotions of the player and will translate into the music being played. It will also make you want to pick up the instrument more frequently which translates into productivity and practice. I have always found that I feel more at peace when i'm playing a blue guitar, and more aggressive when i'm playing a red guitar.

Kinda sorta, i have black on cherry mira, which looks good but i have had chrome on cherry and black on black too.

I liked them all so no help here ;)

But you can get new covers if it bugs you

Back