Should I?

stratman247

I have a 93 CE 24 which I like, but never warmed up to the rotary switch. A friend of mine has a 2020 CE24 and wants to trade. Not crazy about the grey/blk but really like the 85/15 pickups and the switching. Any thoughts on a trade

The trade sounds good, or you could pull out the rotary switch and replace it with a toggle switch.

I would say if you are not crazy about the colour of his then keep yours as you can get it setup to what you want.

I really like the rotary. A lot of people have problems with the rotary because they've never really been taught how to control it properly. With the rotary switch you are always never more than 2 clicks away from the tone you want.

Say you are on the neck...and you want to get to the bridge pickup. It's not 4 clicks away as some might think. What you do is flick the rotary switch all the way to the end position quickly in one fell swoop. So it's basically one click away (or one movement) to move the full set of clicks on the switch. If you want say position 4 and you are in position 1, instead of going click click click to 4 .. you do the full swoop click to position 5, then one click back to position 4 (2 clicks away). If you want position 3 and you are on position 1, it's 2 clicks to the middle setting. And of course the opposite is true back from bridge to neck.

If you've tried it this way and still can't get on with it, then pull the rotary and replace it with a toggle, and you can also change the pickups if you want. Otherwise if you really can't be bothered with changing up yours to how you would like it, then by all means trade it. It's what will make you happy in the end that really matters.

If the 93 has Dragon 1 pups, my answer would be no. If it has the HFS/Vintage set, the 2020 is probably worth a little more on paper, but it mostly comes down to whether you like the switching enough to live with the color. Me personally, I'd keep the 93.

Nothin says you can't trade for a month just to see how the other plays and evaluate again later.

Y
I have been guilty too many times of trading away something I loved for fresh meat, the thrill of new gets me in trouble. Make sure your not chasing another notch instead of choosing what’s best for you even if it is status quo.
You’re so right, I spent a few hours with the 93 this morning, it’s not going anywhere. Better trem, small heel, full contour body. Thanks for the encouragement

I had the rotary on my CE pulled and went with the 3 way. My tech didn't tell me he was going to do that when he put 57/08's in it.

Back