Should I?

New pick guard?

• Leave it as is!

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Put a humbucker in that bridge position!

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
Get a custom pick guard made for my NF3 that has a humbucker opening for the bridge pickup? I find I rarely use the NF bridge pickup. I do sometimes use the in between bridge and neck position on the switch though.

I’d prefer to just be able to buy the sweet swamp ash narrowfield PRS I’m eyeing but can’t afford to do that. This might be a cheaper option that I can actually do now. Then again, I'm a humbucker guy most of the time, so should I just leave the NF3 as is to give me a different palette to paint from? That’s why I got the guitar to begin with.

Bucker! I don’t know how many times I got a guitar thinking oh change is good and didn’t use it because it was different. At least the bucker will allow it to be versatile but with a position one you’ll actually use.

Bucker! I don’t know how many times I got a guitar thinking oh change is good and didn’t use it because it was different. At least the bucker will allow it to be versatile but with a position one you’ll actually use.
It’s kinda weird because when I play it at home, I use all 4 other positions quite a bit. Occasionally I switch it down to the bridge pickup and say, oh that sounds really good! Then I don’t really ever go back to it and use it. Been playing this guitar in the band recently on some stuff that Tim plays acoustic on and I find myself doing the same thing, primarily using the other 4 positions. Occasionally wishing I could drop it into a full humbucker in the bridge position.

I've never owned NF pickups so I can't give an opinion on the tone, but speaking on the principle of personal preference, it's your guitar. You want to mod it, MOD IT! You can always go back later.

Is a custom pickguard enough, or will you have to use a router on the wood underneath?
If a pickguard will do it, I wouldn’t hesitate.

I believe you would have to router. I remember when we tried to put 3 F style single coils in my fiends that we had to use a dremel.

Is a custom pickguard enough, or will you have to use a router on the wood underneath?
If a pickguard will do it, I wouldn’t hesitate.
Hmmm, not sure. Now that you say it, I feel like someone else did this and had to bust out the router? I’m not completely opposed to that, as I really like the guitar and have had it long enough to know I don’t want to get rid of it but yeah, that’d make me at least pause and think about it more.
I say leave it the way it is and start/join a second band where it’d be a more appropriate instrument.
Sh!t, I barely have the time and patience for the one I’m in now!

tenor.gif

I’m going to answer this question the only way I can......with mini-toggles.

2wwY3N2.jpg

ndywLbO.jpg

7yj1i3F.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmm...mini-toggles.
Is there anything they CAN’T do????
Ah-ha! So...I need a router and a pickgaurd and a 5909? How do the NF’s sound tapped? I figured a mini toggle for the 5909 for sure. Where did you get the pick guard?

Back