Should I trade?

matt3310

I have a Al D PRS prism. I have a guy offer my a trade for his PRS Hollowbody 2. Both guitars are like new. I cant decide on if I should trade or not. I never play the Al D. What guitar do you think would hold its value better in the long run?

My Al D

The Hollowbody

I'm sort of with Sergio... but it also depends on whether you think you would actually play the HBII more than the Al D.

If you would play the HB II more, and enjoy it, I'd have a hard time justifying keeping the Al D. As Shawn has said before, its not always the best idea to think of guitars as investments because its more likely that they will not hold their value over time.

Ah Sergio you always surprise me !!!

Value wise it looks like an OK deal on your part ( as of today ) long term I think Sergio is correct
but if you don't play it the AL D - HBIIs are sweet from the ones I have played
I would do that trade and look for a different 22 fret PRS solidbody down the road ( DGT, CU22 etc )

Here's the thing... The AL D. might seem like it's the same value as some HBII's right now, but think about it: One one hand there's a ltd. guitar with a wacky stain job that most folk's are afraid of rockin'. On the other hand there's a rad guitar in a color that most people could live with that is still being produced, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. Which one of those has the potential to be the next Metal, or the next Tri-Color Custom 24, the next Crackle, Multi-foil, or dear god, the next Happy-Foil?

Historically speaking, the wacky/unique/snapshot-of-a-moment-in-time production guitars will always stand a better chance of being more valuable, and certainly more collectable than most of the other guitars (in which I'd include most customer commissioned PS).I assume the guy that wants to trade is using the same logic.

Here's the other thing: Right now is the time to buy. Not sell, not trade, buy. If I could buy an Al D. model for what either I or bodia, or some other people have paid for their HB I/II's I would in an instant. There are definitely deals to be had right now.

Buying/keeping for investment has never been the mantra here...whichever one of the two guitars you will get the most out of is the one you should get/keep.;)

(I do concur...the chances of the Al D having more value later is legit)

Here's the thing... The AL D. might seem like it's the same value as some HBII's right now, but think about it: One one hand there's a ltd. guitar with a wacky stain job that most folk's are afraid of rockin'. On the other hand there's a rad guitar in a color that most people could live with that is still being produced, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. Which one of those has the potential to be the next Metal, or the next Tri-Color Custom 24, the next Crackle, Multi-foil, or dear god, the next Happy-Foil?

Historically speaking, the wacky/unique/snapshot-of-a-moment-in-time production guitars will always stand a better chance of being more valuable, and certainly more collectable than most of the other guitars (in which I'd include most customer commissioned PS).I assume the guy that wants to trade is using the same logic.

Here's the other thing: Right now is the time to buy. Not sell, not trade, buy. If I could buy an Al D. model for what either I or bodia, or some other people have paid for their HB I/II's I would in an instant. There are definitely deals to be had right now.

Totally this!

Guitars are great investments, but I mean that in a way that has nothing to do with money.

Most of us will either be on the way to checking out, or aren’t going to be around in 50 years to find out about the money part of the investment. And that’s if we don’t get hit by a bus while walking the dog. So the idea of a big financial return on current production instruments is wishful thinking.

But we can get priceless joy by playing every day on instruments we love. That’s a very good return on dollars. And you don’t need a crystal ball or an investment calculator to figure it out.

If you’re not playing a guitar, and you can parlay that guitar into one you’ll play, get the one you’ll play. Or start playing the one you have.

Enjoy yourself. It’s later than you think.

I have to agree with Les. If you are a collector, keep the Al D. However, if you are a player, get the guitar that you are going to joyfully play. I do not think that the Al D will bring you a life-changing sum of money during your existence. And, in concert with Les...play now and enjoy those real moments!

If I had whatever amount of cash was need to buy either guitar, and they were the same price, I would buy the HB II, because it would be the guitar I would play more.

While I agree the Al D Prism is more of a collector's item, the only one to enjoy the value of anything I have from an investment point of view is my wife, since she will likely out-live me, and she would say "buy the guitar you will play". Actually, in this case, she might say "buy both!"

Guitars are great investments, but I mean that in a way that has nothing to do with money.

Most of us will either be on the way to checking out, or aren’t going to be around in 50 years to find out about the money part of the investment. And that’s if we don’t get hit by a bus while walking the dog. So the idea of a big financial return on current production instruments is wishful thinking.

But we can get priceless joy by playing every day on instruments we love. That’s a very good return on dollars. And you don’t need a crystal ball or an investment calculator to figure it out.

If you’re not playing a guitar, and you can parlay that guitar into one you’ll play, get the one you’ll play. Or start playing the one you have.

Enjoy yourself. It’s later than you think.

Boom! Les drops michrophone walks out...

You’re a lucky man. You must be doing something right!
We are a very happy couple - happiest either of us have been in our entire lives. We make music together, playing out and writing, and we run sound for festivals and other bands together, and we work together - we are together about 99% of the time. And no stress between us. So we both know as long as it isn't going to affect our ability to pay the regular bills, we are allowed to buy stuff like guitars, percussion instruments, whatever.

I feel very lucky to be with her, and I think she feels the same way.

Sorry for getting all mushy. :oops:

Like many others have said, if you are not playing your Al D, then I would trade for the HB II. Have you had a chance to play this particular HB II ?
I am all about playing guitars & have never worried about their value as investments, so you would be wise to consider the advice of the others here before deciding.

Back