Should I take my PRS with me ?

• Yes

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Black-Viper75

Just Passing Through
Since the hotel bar I work at is still closed due to covid19 and isn’t opening anytime soon I’m going to be visiting my fiancée for a couple of weeks who works in the summer on a Greek island where she’s originally from. I’m thinking of taking take my 35th Anniversary SE CU with me but I’m kind of hesitant, to be honest. The temperature inside her house can reach 30C / 85F and I’m worried how guitar friendly those temperatures are. If I leave the guitar at home it will be in a room temperature of around 27C/81F while I'm away, maybe even higher depending on end of August heatwaves. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Those aren’t ideal temperatures for a guitar. Personally, I wouldn’t have an issue with a few degrees warmer for a couple of weeks. As long as you keep it in the case when not in use, it should be fine.

I voted yes. But, I have also purchased inexpensive guitars at travel destinations to keep my fingers busy.... Then, I either sell them there before I leave or deal with bringing them back home and selling them there.

But, if it all possible, I either borrow or rent as BrianC mentions. If I'm getting paid for play while traveling, I rent. If it's just a pleasure trip and I know anyone in the area, I rely on their graciousness... LOL

I also vote yes. There are a lot of people in warmer climates that have no issues. I'd be more concerned about excessive humidity than the temperature. Plus, it's not that much higher than the 81 it is used. The real issue is; will you pay more attention to your PRS than your fiance! :p

Yes, take it with you. It will be fine. Enjoy your trip!
Thanks. Will do.

As long as you keep it in the case when not in use, it should be fine.
Thanks. I've only got the gigbag it came with so I'll definitely be putting it there when not playing

I usually rent a travel guitar and bring it with me or rent one at my destination.
I either borrow or rent as BrianC mentions.
No way to rent an instrument on the island.

I also vote yes. There are a lot of people in warmer climates that have no issues. I'd be more concerned about excessive humidity than the temperature. Plus, it's not that much higher than the 81 it is used. The real issue is; will you pay more attention to your PRS than your fiance! :p
Thanks. It's not that humid there this time of year that's why I didn't mention the humidity. As for the real issue, a gentleman knows his priorities :D. She works about 10 hours a day that's why I want to bring the guitar with me to fill up those hours when she's at work at I'm not hanging out at a beach somewhere.

In that case, don't forget the amp!
Lol, even though my fiancée said bring the amp, too, that's staying home. I got a little fly rig that fits in my gigbag. No extra baggage. A Boss GT-1 which I connect to a JBL speaker. It'll get me by while away from home.

I voted no because I've been to the Greek islands and would rather see if I could rent or borrow a bouzouki. Yes, really.

I've been living in Greece since '88 and I've never had the bouzouki itch, hahaha. I did on a few occasions while visiting small taverns ask for a bouzouki that usually hung on the wall and played Sabbath, Purple ect on it for laughs with my friends. A bouzouki is tuned like the 4 highest strings on a guitar DGBE. Which islands did you visit, if I may ask?

Paros, Naxos, and Mikonos.
1972 I was dating a girl that was 1/2 Greek, 1/4 Cherokee, and 1/4 Irish. I happened to be working on a farm in Norway for the summer and when I was finished she wanted to meet up in Athens as she wanted to experience some of her heritage. We met a family who had relatives on Paros who owned a hotel on the other side so we spent a week there exploring. Nothing like having your calamari caught and cooked up while you have another bottle of retsina. Along with dolmades then followed with karidopita and finally ouzo.

I considered staying.

Bring it, and a small practice amp like a Boss Katana Mini. They are super light, run on AA batteries and have a nice selection of Clean, Crunch and Brown amp tones, plus a reverb that edges into echo. I've taken my SE245 on a road trip with the little amp. I would recommend a hard case over the gig bag if you are flying though.

Bring it, and a small practice amp like a Boss Katana Mini. They are super light, run on AA batteries and have a nice selection of Clean, Crunch and Brown amp tones, plus a reverb that edges into echo. I've taken my SE245 on a road trip with the little amp. I would recommend a hard case over the gig bag if you are flying though.
When I won my SE ONE in NY, they let me hang the gig bag in the closet up front on the plane.
No idea if that is still a possibility.
Couldn't pay me to get on a plane these days though. Stay safe mate!

Back