Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Noooookko

Votes: 14 60.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

22Top

perfectly cromulent
I'm facing a real dilemma here.

I've got an 08 CU24 with AP appointments that I got a good deal on, NOS in 09. It got me hooked on PRSi, and now spends most of it's time cased.

I put it up for sale, and now I'm feeling a little nervous about it leaving the stable.

I've got a DGT, a HBii, and all of the usual suspects from other brands are covered. I'm gigging almost exclusively with the HBii these days.

This guitar plays really well, but I could also use the cash for stuff around our new house.

I'm lucky to have such problems, especially at my age. With a toddler though, I'm thinking it might be time to thin out my herd to just the essential pieces.

Thoughts?

Likely an A/C unit, some landscaping & gardening. Maybe a play structure.

He is indeed quite happy to dance and play music with me. Or walk in the woods. His material wants are few.

No.

First off, it's a buyer's market right now. What're you gonna get for that kick-@ss guitar, $1700? Pffft.

Second, you and your wife will find a way to divert funds for the A/C unit, the same will probably never be said for another guitar, or at least not for the next 18 years and then it'll be all about college savings and sh!t. And by that time you'll have come around to wanting a CU24 again, like the one you sold back when your kid was a toddler.. "the one that got away" and all that, and then it'll be expensive to replace.

Third, landscaping, gardening, and play structures suck. Throw some grass seed down, get some free bulbs from whatever arboretum/conservatory y'all got around you, and use this opportunity to take your kid on walks to the local park. You'll get exercise and then you won't have to mow around some f@cking dilapidated playhouse for the rest of your life... not to mention the dumpster you'll have to rent to throw that ecological-disaster-of-a-mixture-of-plastic-and-chemically-treated-wood away that your kid probably only used for make-out and bong-ripping sessions with the neighbors kid down the street. Let that neighbor have it in his back yard, then you can be all high and mighty when sh!t inevitably goes down in the future.

Fourth,... C'mon, man! Unless it's for health related expenses.. Never sell a PRS! As a father you're gonna be wearing random jacked up clothes that you got for your B-day or free drug company polo shirts 'cause your wife and kids will soak up the clothing funds for the rest of your life. There's gonna be crazy-expensive parties for your kid and all of his friends that you'll have to be buying sh!t for, after-school programs, ballet, hockey, horse riding lessons, at least five different sized bicycles, then you wife will want a kitchen remodel, then you'll need vacations so your baby can see the Grand Canyon and not remember it at age 3, then the hot water heater will burst while you're away on said vacation... I mean, dude.. you're most likely lookin' at not getting another anything that matters to you for like, the next 20 years.

If you're gonna do something right now that has anything to do with an electric guitar: Buy yourself a new one today!!! :D:p

If you have to, you have. But if you don't have to...you can always sell later. You can't always get the guitar back.

Oh...and you can always use it in a few years to play sad blues licks when the kids ask for something and you tell them no, we can't afford that.

PSA: Do not play sad blues licks to your wife's reaction if you have to say no to her. The kids will throw tantrums and storm off in tears. You wife will say "Okay" in a tone of voice that really means "You have to sleep some time..."

Sergio's spot on! Dude, don't sell it!

What you need to do is leave it in it's case, tucked away under the bed, and hand it proudly over to your son in 10 or 12 years. That's got the making of a family heirloom!

So many good points on here.

And thanks for the tips about the play structure @sergiodeblanc I really hadn't thought about it.

We've got woods on our acreage. We can build a sketchy fort like I did 20 years ago lol

I'll echo what everyone else said. I've sold dozens of guitars at a loss, then missed and replaced 'em a year or two later with the same damned thing at higher cost.

Took me a LONG time to learn my lesson and get off that merry-go-round.

If you're not ready to let it go emotionally, don't let it go physically.

I also had a CU24 that started me down the PRS path. I also moved on to other guitars and it became a case queen, and case queens are not my thing. Ultimately what sealed it for me was I lived overseas for two years, leaving most of my guitars in storage. The Custom was the only one I didn't miss. I kept it a little longer, but the magic was gone. I don't regret selling it at all, but I do get a bit of nostalgia when I see an older Emerald Green CU24!

One thing to consider is keeping it as a specialty guitar for E flat or any other non-standard tuning you come across in your playing. I narrowed down my collection a couple years ago. Now I'm getting back into learning songs and realized I didn't have a plan for dealing with that.

If it winds up sitting unloved in the case in a corner somewhere for a year or more, then you'll know it's time to say goodbye.

I would never sell my first PRSi willingly, because it was the reason I bought into the brand. I may not play it as much as I could/should, but I think I would sell almost every other guitar before selling that one. Of course, I have no intention of selling any of my guitars, but never say never...

And yeah, think of it as something to bequeath to your young-one when he gets old enough. Or give it to any other offspring that may arise... Hmm, in fact, you should build up a collection for all the possible kids you could have. It would be a shame to not have a guitar at the ready for that last-born!

I wouldn't. I created small side business out of buying, fixing up and selling, used guitars and amps a number of years ago. I needed to wipe out a rather large debt that unexpectedly came my way, and I used that activity as a 2nd source of income. It was misery. It was painful to find a smoking deal on an amp I wanted, only to fix a noisy pot and have to turn around and sell it again. Once I paid the debt, I could then find and keep said guitars and amps. So, unless I come across another hardship, the toys are staying. There are only 2 reasons for you to sell IMO. 1.) you know you will never have any interest in using the guitar again. 2.) you really need the money.

...give it to any other offspring that may arise... Hmm, in fact, you should build up a collection for all the possible kids you could have. It would be a shame to not have a guitar at the ready for that last-born!
I have the kids names written down along side some of mine on paper for their later identification. The blond one for my blonde daughter. A second daughter's favorite color is red. You get the idea...

Totally agree with bodia. Keep it to give to your son when he's ready (course you'll have to play it now and again so the pot's don't crap outt). I think the best thing I've done for my kids other than a good private school education (nothing against public schools, my wife teaches in a excellent local one) is to have given them the opportunity to learn an instrument of MY choice. Though my youngest, the lil traitor has turned to drumming ? Actually he's a talented natural, just started teaching himself about 6 months ago and is already playing like a veteran and has picked up a gig with his rather large local youth groups worship team. So on the plus side I don't need batteries for my metronome anymore.....

Last edited:
No.

First off, it's a buyer's market right now. What're you gonna get for that kick-@ss guitar, $1700? Pffft.

Second, you and your wife will find a way to divert funds for the A/C unit, the same will probably never be said for another guitar, or at least not for the next 18 years and then it'll be all about college savings and sh!t. And by that time you'll have come around to wanting a CU24 again, like the one you sold back when your kid was a toddler.. "the one that got away" and all that, and then it'll be expensive to replace.

Third, landscaping, gardening, and play structures suck. Throw some grass seed down, get some free bulbs from whatever arboretum/conservatory y'all got around you, and use this opportunity to take your kid on walks to the local park. You'll get exercise and then you won't have to mow around some f@cking dilapidated playhouse for the rest of your life... not to mention the dumpster you'll have to rent to throw that ecological-disaster-of-a-mixture-of-plastic-and-chemically-treated-wood away that your kid probably only used for make-out and bong-ripping sessions with the neighbors kid down the street. Let that neighbor have it in his back yard, then you can be all high and mighty when sh!t inevitably goes down in the future.

Fourth,... C'mon, man! Unless it's for health related expenses.. Never sell a PRS! As a father you're gonna be wearing random jacked up clothes that you got for your B-day or free drug company polo shirts 'cause your wife and kids will soak up the clothing funds for the rest of your life. There's gonna be crazy-expensive parties for your kid and all of his friends that you'll have to be buying sh!t for, after-school programs, ballet, hockey, horse riding lessons, at least five different sized bicycles, then you wife will want a kitchen remodel, then you'll need vacations so your baby can see the Grand Canyon and not remember it at age 3, then the hot water heater will burst while you're away on said vacation... I mean, dude.. you're most likely lookin' at not getting another anything that matters to you for like, the next 20 years.

If you're gonna do something right now that has anything to do with an electric guitar: Buy yourself a new one today!!! :D:p

Dude's been a Dad for what...3 months? NAILED IT! :)

Serge speaks, people listen. Can I get an A-MEN!

So the more guitars you get the less each one gets played ( unless you can just play more ) that one that you are not playing right now will be the sound you NEED a few months , years from now
Family is first but that is food , cloths and a roof if you don't have to sell don't if you want something different try trading better value and you get to meet some cool folks.
If its bought and paid for keep it IHMO

Back