Should I replace my phase 1 tuners for phase 2 or 3

Jabot13

I don't know if new tuners will bring new life to your instrument. But I bet if you sent it to the PTC, they not only have a reputation for breathing new life into older guitars, they can retrfit your phase 1 tuners with phase 2 guts and get rid of the wings. By the way, love that black Mira. Sexy!

I'm thinking the Pauls guitar on the right might make the others sound dare I say normal ;)
IMHO tuners have little or no effect on tone just how a guitar tunes and stay in tune on the other hand a great setup can do wonders
Great looking guitars BTW

the '98 almost certainly has the low mass wingy tuners that are directly replaceable with phase IIs with no new screwholes. I don't think theres much of any functional reason other than Phase IIs are easier on stage to me, YMMV. I have a hard time getting the wings on the low mass wing tuners to line up in that pleasing christmas tree shape.
Are you having any tuning issues?

I think I'm just fishing for some reason to send a guitar to the PTC. Guitar stays in tune but the wings are a pain compared to the phase 2 & 3s. My Paul's guitar makes my others very normal like Rider1260 said.

I think I'm just fishing for some reason to send a guitar to the PTC. Guitar stays in tune but the wings are a pain compared to the phase 2 & 3s. My Paul's guitar makes my others very normal like Rider1260 said.

The PTC does absolutely amazing setups, so if you're even thinking about it, just do it. The setup on my Artist V that they worked on is to die for. Made me feel like a rock star.

I love winged tuners the most, so I say no.

Replace 'em at best, modify never.
That's because you're crazy! :laugh:

1998 shouldn't have the shared screw between the D & G strings. That makes your life much easier. It's less expensive to buy a set of Phase II than do rebuild on phase I's. I'd decide which you'd rather have between II and III and let her rip!

Back