Should I refinish?

Refinish?

• Yes

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 74.4%

• Total voters
To be clear, the guitar isn’t going anywhere. I’m not worried about resale. ...

That's what they all say. Then there is a post about how the owner is pissed about all the low-ball offers due to the refin and why is it only worth half what it would otherwise have been and they really need the money to get another guitar they desire, or pay for braces or the rent, or whatever.

I've seen a thread about a guy that rattle canned an early 60s Tele or Strat they got as a teen because it was pink, played it for years, and are sad it's worth only a little bit of the fantastic price his model goes for in original pink.

People are eventually worried about resale.

Buy a beat up specimen for cheap that you repair and refinish. I have a PRS that was gigged for years until the neck was cracked at the body from a mishap. I bought the guitar cheap and had to steam off the neck to repair and re-glue plus all the gigging finish repairs, but it's a good player now.

That's what they all say. Then there is a post about how the owner is pissed about all the low-ball offers due to the refin and why is it only worth half what it would otherwise have been and they really need the money to get another guitar they desire, or pay for braces or the rent, or whatever.

I've seen a thread about a guy that rattle canned an early 60s Tele or Strat they got as a teen because it was pink, played it for years, and are sad it's worth only a little bit of the fantastic price his model goes for in original pink.

People are eventually worried about resale.

Buy a beat up specimen for cheap that you repair and refinish. I have a PRS that was gigged for years until the neck was cracked at the body from a mishap. I bought the guitar cheap and had to steam off the neck to repair and re-glue plus all the gigging finish repairs, but it's a good player now.

Yeah, you don’t know me either. The only way I sell the guitar is if I’m buying a PS or someone is dying and I need the money. Also, a refin by PRS isn’t going to kill the value. It’s not in some collector condition right now either. I gigged the sh!t out of it for a few years. I’d never get my money’s worth back out of it whether I leave it have PRS refinish.

Edit: I should’ve mentioned this is my #2 gigging guitar. I realize I would never recoup the cost of the refin itself. None of the guitar is really even stock anymore besides the pots, knobs, control covers. It looks and sounds the way I want it to in terms of parts- considered lampshade knobs but feel like the speed knobs actually look right on the guitar as it stands. It came decked out with gold hardware but that’s not my thing. Still have the original parts...why? Not really sure. I guess in case I wanted to return it to stock. I’ve been in that position with my first CU22 a few times.

Last edited:
I'd say do an internal review first just to make sure you're not fixing something that isn't broke out of boredom. I think that guitar looks awesome, there's a kind of mystery going on that invites one to look deeper. Seriously cool... really.

Don't forget that one of the possible outcomes is that you throw all that money into a refinish and end up liking the old one better :)

To each their own, but I really like the finish on this guitar. However, I think it would also look good with a lighter tone of gray. There is no wrong in this. I wouldn't trust anyone with refinishing a guitar, but I'd easily trust PTC. From what you a writing it feels that you want to pull the trigger. If that's the case you need to do it.

I would keep it the way it is. It´s not about Money, reselling and that stuff. It´s more like You would take something away from the primal Originality of this nice Guitar when you change the Finish...

Th
I would keep it the way it is. It´s not about Money, reselling and that stuff. It´s more like You would take something away from the primal Originality of this nice Guitar when you change the Finish...
There’s always a little fear of that, but I’m confident that if PRS refinished something, there’s very little risk of a negative tonal impact.

Back