Refinish?

• Yes

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 74.4%

• Total voters

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
So I’ve had this guitar quite awhile. I followed and kind of hunted it for a few years til I could make her mine.

I like grey black, I’ve always thought it looked badass. But...the quilt is such a monster top that I feel it gets hidden because of how dark it is. I’ve inquired about a refin from PTC. If I do this, it will stay in the grey family. Maybe charcoal contour burst or a grey black fade or something.

Refinish? Yes or no?

22OhsyD.jpg

H8LkNWE.jpg
fA0bGr9.jpg

I think it looks bad ass as it is... but since you’re talking about something that’s purely aesthetic, the only opinion that really matters is yours. If you think the new look is worth the cash, do it!

Tough call. I agree with Steve in general and wouldn’t do it if it was mine. However, if you love the guitar and the color drives you nuts every time you pick it up, it might be worth the cost to you.

So I’m no help whatsoever :rolleyes:

Are the pics with flash?

I voted no.
1). It looks good now.
2). Refine is expensive
3). Put those funds towards another guitar
No flash. Natural light. Hard to get good pic without glare that shows the awesomeness of the top.

I wouldn't touch it.
What year is it, btw?

Looks awesome but with a different stain that would look like a private stock top. Can’t spend your money for you but I do think that would come out amazing with a lighter stain.
Yeah I’ve always thought it was close to a PS top.

I'd leave the finish stock. You'll take a hit on resale after putting all the money into refinishing it.

You should try different knobs, get some nickel or chrome pickup cover(s), different pickup trim rings. tuner knbo tips.
Put the changes into the bits that are easy to swap around. You'll look at it like a new guitar.

Like the split / slotted Filtertron-type covers, or gold(silver) foil, or whatever.

Tools_FEAT.jpg

5-PCS-of-1-pair-H-hole-Humbucker-Covers-for-Gretsch-Filtertron-style-pickup-Silver.jpg_640x640.jpg

Like a car grill
spec-d-mesh-grille-on-car.jpg

That quilt is every bit the equal of the quilt on my PS 30th Anniversary CU24. It’s awfully sweet.

Looks like a beautiful piece of marble in that finish - I had a black marble bar counter at my old house that wasn’t as pretty!

I think I’d leave it as-is.

I'm running away from the herd. Send that bada$$ in! It's a great, great top that would pop even more with what you have in mind. Who cares about resale value, you know you aren't going to sell it. Besides, I've npbeen down this road with the Royal Blue Cu22 that is now Purple Hazel wrap. That Royal Blue was so dark I couldn't see the mineral streaks unless I looked close. They totally pop now with the lighter finish.

Back