Should I make the 59/09 bridge pup splittable?

MichaelS

I'm here for the free kool-aid...
Putting a 59/09 into the bridge of a '16 CE24 Standard.

Debating whether to make the 59/09 splittable

Neck is an \m/ pup and wired splittable with the push/pull pot.

Which of the following two scenarios would you prefer?
Don't split bridge (essentially Position 2 of a 5-way blade) --> humbucking bridge w/split neck, when switch is in center position
Or
Make bridge splittable
--> 59/09 split bridge pup
--> 59/09 split with \m/ split when switch is in center position (like position 4 in a 5-way blade)

How is a split 59/09 bridge soundwise?
"Position" 2 or 4? If you could only have one?

Last edited:
I like the split bridge sound just fine, but I tend to split the neck more often. Not much help I guess!

Resistor between split and ground, as used in the DGT wiring. Good option for a vintage output bridge pickup.

Even thought the 59/09 is a bit beefier than low wind vintage types, I think for bridge position when split it could benefit from a little extra oomph.

5909 sounds good in HB or SC modes.

I have a recording of my 5909 split. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Additional option: Replace the 3-position toggle with a Freeway switch, so that you can access all 6 pickup combinations without having to use a cumbersome push-pull pot (https://www.freewayswitch.com/)
wow that thing is wicked!
I'd still have to choose among the single coil options though. If I get 3 single coil positions on the switch, but the combinations are:
- N SC
- N SC + B SC
- B SC
- B HB + N SC
- B SC + N HB

Unless I keep the push pull and add combinations with that.

Boils down to which Position on your Custom 24 do you prefer?
Position 2 or Position 4 of the typical PRS 5-way?
If you had to choose one. Except Position 4 will also provide a Bridge single coil.

Resistor between split and ground, as used in the DGT wiring. Good option for a vintage output bridge pickup.

Even thought the 59/09 is a bit beefier than low wind vintage types, I think for bridge position when split it could benefit from a little extra oomph.
was going to ask what values, but I see the wiring in the CE already has resistors on the push/pull :D

wow that thing is wicked!
I'd still have to choose among the single coil options though. If I get 3 single coil positions on the switch, but the combinations are:
- N SC
- N SC + B SC
- B SC
- B HB + N SC
- B SC + N HB

Unless I keep the push pull and add combinations with that.

Boils down to which Position on your Custom 24 do you prefer?
Position 2 or Position 4 of the typical PRS 5-way?
If you had to choose one. Except Position 4 will also provide a Bridge single coil.

Don't the recent CE24s have 3-way toggles? If yes, and if you replaced the PRS 3-way toggle with a 6-way Freeway toggle, I believe the positions would be:

Position 1: Neck HB
Position 2: Neck HB + Bridge HB
Position 3: Bridge HB
Position 4: Neck SC
Position 5: Neck SC + Bridge SC
Position 6: Bridge SC

You have a coil tap just on the neck now, which means, in the middle position, you can have the neck SC + bridge HB. If you left the coil tap, you could get the same combination in position 2 with the push-pull pot pulled up.

Let me know if I'm missing something.

Don't the recent CE24s have 3-way toggles? If yes, and if you replaced the PRS 3-way toggle with a 6-way Freeway toggle, I believe the positions would be:

You have a coil tap just on the neck now, which means, in the middle position, you can have the neck SC + bridge HB. If you left the coil tap, you could get the same combination in position 2 with the push-pull pot pulled up.

I guess I could. Question is, do I need all these sounds or should I just choose between my options in original post.
I think I'll hook it up both ways and compare. Easy enough to do.

These 6 way positions would be the same as a 3 way with split on tone pot for both PUs.

Push pulls on both Vol and tone would allow combinations of one SC with one HB for a total of 8 positions.

These 6 way positions would be the same as a 3 way with split on tone pot for both PUs.

Push pulls on both Vol and tone would allow combinations of one SC with one HB for a total of 8 positions.
I think you could connect the bridge coil split to the push/pull instead of the freeway and then you can toggle between HB or SC combination with neck.
second push/pull sounds easier.

Agreed. I find the push-pull pots difficult to access while playing--particularly without turning the knob--but that would give him all possible combinations. However, he could both install both the Freeway toggle and a push-pull pot on the volume knob, then he'd be able to access six combinations relatively easily while still being able to access the other two via the push-pull pots.

I will agree that pulling the dam things up is a clumsy act of weirdness.

Somebody on here posted a pic of an Ibanez knob that had a band of rubber looking stuff to help pull it up.

I've been contemplating putting one of these on a dowel and putting it in my drill. While it's spinning, cut a groove on the knob deep enough to put an o ring around it.

Cool idea, gush. Even without the push-pull pot, I don't see how anything that helps you grip the knob could be bad.

Back