Should I go 57/08 --> 58/15 in my MC-58?

57/08's or 58/15's in my MC-58

• Total voters

Going Modal

I should be practicing right now.
The 57/08 really is a nice all-around PAF-style humbucker, I'll admit--and I'm sure there are many who would agree. However, in an ideal world if I could tailor everything, here's what I'd wish to change about the 57/08 pickups in my '11 McCarty 58:
  • a little firmer/more-solid in the (very) low frequencies
  • a little less round/dark in the low-mids (more scooped?)
  • richer harmonics up top
I have a sneaking suspicion (based on PRSh's explanation of them in a video) that the 58/15 pickups would get me in this direction; and I currently have an opportunity to acquire & install some. So, what do you think? [Please keep in mind I'm talking about the regular 58/15's here, not the "LT" version from the 594's.]

I really prefer 5708’s and 5909’s over 58/15’s of any variety. I’m sure I’m one of the few. In fact, lusting after a 594, I question whether I’d be better off going back to a 245 or 58 for that reason. I’d save a helluva lotta money.

I love the 58/15's and 3 of my guitars have them. Both my 594 and HBii have the 58/15 LT's which have a vintage sound where as my PRS Special 22 has the 58/15 MT's which I feel are more 'classic' sounding. I do not have the 57/08's but I will say that the 58/15's are a newer pick-up and the used in all new McCarty's

That being said, I am a firm believer in keeping the guitar as stock. Unless you are really disappointed with the 57/08's, why change? Are you changing because the newer McCarty comes with 58/15's? Which version are looking at too - the LT's? Will it suit you and your music better? Will the difference be a positive difference or just different? I can't answer and wouldn't be able to answer even if I had the same guitar and/or swapped the PU's because I am NOT you, I probably don't have the same preferences as to what I like to hear and whether or not you would prefer the change. Its something you either do your self to find out which you prefer or borrow anothers MC-58 who made the change o you know which you prefer to hear yourself.

As such, I won't vote in this poll but II will say try and find someone with the same guitar but with 58/15's in it to see if you prefer the sound enough to want to change your guitar first. You could save yourself money if you don't think the difference is better or better enough to warrant the cost....

I really prefer 5708’s and 5909’s over 58/15’s of any variety. I’m sure I’m one of the few. In fact, lusting after a 594, I question whether I’d be better off going back to a 245 or 58 for that reason. I’d save a helluva lotta money.

57/08 neck and 59/09 bridge in your eventual 594 would be killer!

I recently put a 57/08 (actually an ME2, but it's just a sticker) bridge pickup in my SC594, which is a guitar I find to be kinda bright for my tastes. My DC594 still sounds thicker with 58/15LTs in it. The SC594 has an ebony fretboard, vs. rosewood on my other 2 594s.

So y'know what? I didn't hear a heck of a lot of difference with that pickup swap. My opinion (which is worth every penny you just paid for it) is that if you're talking 57/08 or 58/15LTs, the wood makes more difference than the pickup. The SC58 is designed for the 57/08. I say leave them in there unless you're unhappy with them.

I voted got for it

You can always put the old ones back and, although PRS pickups that are only available in the aftermarket ie (not direct) are pricey, you can always sell them again for more of less what you paid for them

So its a no brainier for me, plus its good to try out new things. I would recommend keeping all of the original other PRS wiring / circuit and just drop in the news ones and adjust height and see if you still like them after the honeymoon period

Back