Should i buy spare parts?

Cris_mas

Amateur Extraordinaire
The reason to ask this is, considering my guitar has 27 years old and of course, some parts have wear on that time (specially the mechanical ones) like the rotary switch for example. That one has me intrigued because i've read that the one that has a pcb is different working than the "waffer" one. Also, considering i live far from any original spare parts source, should I invest in it? The switch is my main concern for now (i was looking the one from Stew Mac that seems to be cheaper) but also was thinking in importing a new nut and maybe some condensers for the tone/bleed. All of this was in my head,while also considering i have some tunning stability issues.

I read you guys!

My oldest PRS is only 25. I’ve never felt the need for spare parts and don’t expect to start stashing any away.

I do have a spare guitar though, so I'd still be in business if I ever had to wait for a replacement part to get here.

I started picking up 5 way rotary switches just because I saw them on CL and thought I'd like to have a couple spares. I also bought a couple nuts from the PRS store. That's about all I'd need. I did have to replace the switch on my 88 CE but if you look around you can find a direct replacement.

I am still kicking myself for not trying to source 513 white scalloped nuts that were put on the early Brazilian 513s....

The PRS Accessory Store has drop-in replacement electronics, including the "rotary switch" electronics for CU22/24 guitars. Although, I don't see any "sweet switch" options--so if that's part of it, I'm afraid those are long-gone from ready-to-install status. (Though I'm sure there's sources who have figured out the components and could tell you how to rebuild those, too.)

Back