I wanted to take feedback or thoughts on buying a 408 if I already have a 513,

Following has interested me in 408:

1. 25" Scale Length
2. Switching Options between Single Coil & Humbuckers
3. Narrower Neck pickup

Let me know on the differences or similarities between these two models

Thanks,
V

Well...I don't have a 408, but love my 513's...(Maple-topped and Swampie).
I'd guess you might be able to get close to a couple of your 513 tones with the 408, but they are totally different monsters...
The woods are similar with those two models , but it about stops there. (IMHO)
The vastly different PU's will make a big difference in tones, so I'd say go for it. (Of course, what'd you expect!!!;))

513s are great, no question there. I’ve never played a 408, but think the sound would be different. As long as you’re not selling the 513 to get the 408, I’d think you’d be getting something worth checking into. You can always sell and try something else if it isn’t your thing.

The 513 seems like a swiss army knife guitar that should be able to fit in almost everywhere. The 408 is a nice option to really cut through mixes.

Look at what I just stumbled upon!
https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/513_vs_408_how_are_they_different

As an owner (and big fan) of a 408, I would surmise that it's different enough from the 513 to be noticeable (although, warning: I don't own a 513). Whereas I'm guessing the 513 has that Fender-y spank & feel due to the longer scale length, the 408 definitely feels just like my (standard) McCarty and even my Custom 22, aside from body thickness. I really like both pickups on the 408, too--just different enough from other humbuckers that I feel it has its own rightful spot vs. the others I own.

This opinion, though, is regarding the pickup format itself (narrower & wider neck & bridge, respectively), but I'd still like the 408 if it didn't have all 8 switching options. In all honesty, the 5 positions offered by my Custom 22's 5-way blade switch are exactly the 5 that I would use most often on the 408, but easier/faster to switch to, if that makes sense.

Just bought a 408 last week. I don't have a 513 but I like it so much it has become my favorite. I do have some 305's and if I am not mistaken 305 pickups are similar to the 513s and when in single coil mode there is a difference. Even in humbucker mode the 408 has a distinct sound. Great guitar to add to the arsenal

Instead of 408 I would look into newer Paul’s guitar with TCI pups. Just a thought.

This is a very good point... (even though this is my weapon of choice, along with my Swamp Ash 509)

94123566_10217090597881113_6722512038951649280_o.jpg

That sounds good, thanks! :)

Yeah, they're different enough beasts that you could rationalize having both. Having owned both, I'd say the 513 is a little more "aggressive" and the 408 is a little more "refined".

Thank you for the insight,

I reckon that Custom 22 are equally special, but since I have Custom 24,
I wanted to try something in 22 frets, 25" Scale Length and thicker body.

Some fella's are steering into Special 22 Semi Hollow,
Wondering about that as well!

Look at what I just stumbled upon!
https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/513_vs_408_how_are_they_different

As an owner (and big fan) of a 408, I would surmise that it's different enough from the 513 to be noticeable (although, warning: I don't own a 513). Whereas I'm guessing the 513 has that Fender-y spank & feel due to the longer scale length, the 408 definitely feels just like my (standard) McCarty and even my Custom 22, aside from body thickness. I really like both pickups on the 408, too--just different enough from other humbuckers that I feel it has its own rightful spot vs. the others I own.

This opinion, though, is regarding the pickup format itself (narrower & wider neck & bridge, respectively), but I'd still like the 408 if it didn't have all 8 switching options. In all honesty, the 5 positions offered by my Custom 22's 5-way blade switch are exactly the 5 that I would use most often on the 408, but easier/faster to switch to, if that makes sense.

Back