Shorty Trem arms?

I'd like to check out a Jake Blade though they are kind of ugly and a bit expensive, they seems to work well. They are very "short" lol.
Umphrey's McGee uses them. I think I saw someone on this forum had one on their PRS.
The Jake Blade

UYAM42.JPG

I'd like to check out a Jake Blade though they are kind of ugly and a bit expensive, they seems to work well. They are very "short" lol.
Umphrey's McGee uses them. I think I saw someone on this forum had one on their PRS.
The Jake Blade

UYAM42.JPG

$100 and they can't even show how it attaches and works on their website?

Yeah that is kind of lame but there's a Youtube video with Jake Cinninger showing how it works.
That looks like it would be awkward to use. The guys he mentioned in the video that he can duplicate their trem sounds all did it with a standard trem with a bar. I do like the idea of the short arm that this thread is about. I may have to pick one of those up just to play around with it. The bulk of my PRS guitars that I grab for first are hard tails so it wouldn't get a ton of use but looks fun.

That looks like it would be awkward to use. The guys he mentioned in the video that he can duplicate their trem sounds all did it with a standard trem with a bar. I do like the idea of the short arm that this thread is about. I may have to pick one of those up just to play around with it. The bulk of my PRS guitars that I grab for first are hard tails so it wouldn't get a ton of use but looks fun.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I may get one of those shorty arms too, much cheaper. Hey but Jake is an incredible guitarist, love Umphrey's McGee.

I saw several people also discussing Fender trem arms. Orange County Guitar Works (also known as Overdrive Guitar) has a great selection of trem arms for a variety of F-type guitars.

When I did my Gilmour Tribute Black Strat, I did all the pickguard and electronics through them, and they have the best selection of proper components to do this type of build. These components would be great in any Strat.

Everything I’ve purchased from them has been top shelf stuff. Not intending to get the thread diverted, just a PSA for those looking.

I have the shorty "Gilmour" arms on all my Fenders, but haven't switched out any of my PRS' with trems...not sure why...:rolleyes:
To me they make a trem more like a Bigsby; so better for a bit of 'wiggle' rather than full on pitch changes, which is what I use them for.

The guitar player in my old fusion band was a master of using the trem for accurate pitch changes while playing; it gave him a very distinctive lead style. He was hugely influenced by Greg Howe (no, not Steve Howe), who does the same thing.

It occurs to me that the old SG trem arms were closer to what I'd like if I had my 'druthers. The arm is relatively short, and the tip is shaped more like a paddle, so a little more ergonomic if you like to use the palm of the hand. But it's also narrow enough to grab easily if you pull up. Here's an example of one made for an SG:

The Jake Blade is a bit too...let's just say, 'unusual-looking'...for my taste, and pulling up using the method in that video wouldn't work for me, bu I'll give it props for being an interesting concept!

The opinions expressed in this post are solely those of the author, and no obligation on the part of any reader is expressed or implied. The author possesses no scientifically verifiable data to support or discredit these opinions. Any errors contained in the author's opinion are solely those of the author. Author's advice may cause unwanted side effects. Do not use the author's suggested volume settings without hearing protection, as hearing damage may occur. Do not taunt the author. Do not operate machinery while reading author’s post. Opinion void where prohibited by law. Opinion offered is the base model and may require caveats. Author reserves the right to change the stated opinion at any time without notice. No warranty of fitness, merchantability, or any other warranty is expressed or implied. The author is not responsible for damage to reader's brain or wallet if author’s advice is taken. Do not open the author’s opinion for repair, there are no user-serviceable parts inside. In the event of failure, please discard the author's opinion in the nearest available trash receptacle or recycling facility. For service call the author's service department at 1-800-BULSH!T.

Last edited:
I'd like to shorten my arms, but that would require a very, very short guitar strap.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, it's the only reason I haven't done it. I think it'd be fun to have very short arms, like maybe 6 inches."

"Fun to shock people for like, one second, but then what would you do?"

"Oh wait, arm-shortening surgery isn't temporary?" :eek:

"You're out of your freaking mind, you know."

"Somehow it strikes me as odd that you haven't previously figured that out."

Sounds like you're just trying to make push-ups easier.

Back