She's Here!

Tom Bradovich

Picked up my S2 McCarty 594 Thinline yesterday and I'm completely amazed by the tones available at my fingertips - it's almost like having a new amp. When I decided to buy a PRS, I was drawn to the Custom 24 in the S2 line (can't afford the Core, but willing to step up from SE). They are gorgeous instruments even if they don't have a 10 top.

But, the more I compared specs, the more I leaned to the McCarty lineup because of the separate tone and volume controls for each pickup. I only had about a half hour with her yesterday and mostly experimented with the electronics and resulting variety of tones. All the combinations of a 3-way toggle and two push/pull knobs combined with the ability to fine tune volume & tone on each pu yields a huge amount of territory. I'm blown away. No, I can't coax quack-like-a-duck Strat sounds out of her, but I don't care - this thing makes up for losing one tone and gaining about a hundred others.

And then there are the PRS aesthetics of the guitar. She's a gorgeous vintage cherry, and nicely translucent so the mahogany grain pops though. The the gold & silver color contrast of the hardware is absolutely beautiful next to the red mahogany. The complete shape of the guitar with the bevels and the unique curves of the treble side horn and the headstock set PRS guitars above the standard curves on other guitars. And what's not to love about the birds? Damn, they're nice. And they make a statement about a man's commitment to exceeding players' expectations not only in build quality and innovation, but the little touches like the birds.

I know, someone will ask for pics, but I'd need a pretty big Round Tuit to join a photo hosting site right now. Mine looks exactly the pics on the PRS website.

I was concerned about buying a guitar without first playing it, but my fears were unfounded - she plays just fine. As a matter of fact, I need far less string pressure to fret notes, and so far I don't mind the finished neck. My Carvin has the satin maple, and it's super smooth for thumb or palm to glide anywhere up or down. Here's to hoping the nitro finish on my new McCarty equals that over time.

Bottom line, if you've been looking for your first or tenth nice guitar, don't overlook a McCarty. Bye, I'm going downstairs to play.

Thanks, people for all the encouragement. I spent about 3 hours downstairs with her and again - I'm blown away by the tones in this guitar. The pickups, although not as hot as those on the Carvin are so much more musical - more harmonic content with a slightly thick mid. So, I had to make some gain, volume and tone adjustments at the amp head, but now I am at (or real close) to being able to hear with the ears what I hear in my head. Man, am I glad I didn't buy an amp to try to cure my tone. I came close, but stayed with the concept that signal flow starts at the guitar. LSchefman, you are so right about how great it is when you get something that makes you happy. When I'm downstairs playing, it's like my form of meditation.

Congratulations. All the 594 and its variants are good. You have made an excellent choice sir.

Congratulations on your new 594. I can feel your excitement from your post. The emotion that you feel is what we all live for. Thank you for sharing it. What a great way to start the day. It’s going to be a good one today!

Back