Shawn's 15 Year Employee Guitar, Start To Finish

Randy cleaning up the fretboard and leveling the frets.

It was totally irrational, but it freaked me out watching him go after it with the sandpaper and razor blade. It looked done, so how could that not be messing it up..?! Like I said, irrational.

It was totally irrational, but it freaked me out watching him go after it with the sandpaper and razor blade. It looked done, so how could that not be messing it up..?! Like I said, irrational.

Maybe irrational, but not unique. Years ago, we went on the Martin factory tour, and as we got to the end, they pointed out the benches were the strap pins were attached (right at the end of the tour). Just before we walked out, one of the guys started up a drill to drill the pilot hole. I started getting a queasy feeling in my stomach and had to look away. It wasn't my guitar, and there wasn't a chance I was buying that one, but I couldn't stand to look.

The razor blade is most likely to remove small amounts of lacquer that creeps under the masking tape on the fret board, in the spray booth. The sandpaper is most likely to polish the frets. It’s the high finishing standards that a true luthier made instrument goes through.

"Good Enough" for some maybe, but it wasn't complete by PRS standards. These guys are pros and they know what their doing. I have total faith in them.

"Good Enough" for some maybe, but it wasn't complete by PRS standards. These guys are pros and they know what their doing. I have total faith in them.

Oh definitely, there's absolutely no arguing with the results!

Rest assured I've been doing a meticulous QA survey on your employer's product for, um, a lot of years now. One new Core guitar bought each year for... statistical sampling... and research purposes... yeah, that's it! Because science! :D

IMG_6761.jpg

Back