Seventy Fifth BDay.

Bob Hundemer

In a few weeks I'll be 75 years old. So I was thinking I should get something special for tha land mark day. I have two really nice amps and a 1977 Martin D18, 1997 MaCarty, a prs 594 with +pups. A Gibson 137 hollow body and a 1990s Texas special strat.
I was thinking maybe I need a HX Stomp or something like that.
Looking for suggestions. TIA
Bobh

In a few weeks I'll be 75 years old. So I was thinking I should get something special for tha land mark day. I have two really nice amps and a 1977 Martin D18, 1997 MaCarty, a prs 594 with +pups. A Gibson 137 hollow body and a 1990s Texas special strat.
I was thinking maybe I need a HX Stomp or something like that.
Looking for suggestions. TIA
Bobh

Happy birthday!

I like Eventide"s H9 for two things: It sounds great, and controlling all the presets with an app beats getting down on hands and knees or bending to tweak a pedal. The drawback is that while several effects are incorporated lots of the algorithms, you're limited to one effect at a time. As a result, I have two on my pedalboard. But it's based on the H3000 d/se I had in my studio rack for years, a very high end effects piece in its day, and I think it sounds pretty much the same. My son uses his to track and produce major label records.

I generally use one for modulation or delay effects, and the other for delay or reverb.

There are tons of excellent effects of all kinds in the pedal. A worthy present to yourself!

The Helix stuff is great if you need/prefer multiple digital effects that can be chained, in one box. Also very nice to gift yourself with!

Great job on hitting 3/4 of a century! Maybe get yourself a rhinestone encrusted romper!! Just kidding, whatever you choose will be perfect!!! Congrats on the 75 and cheers to your hundredth!!!!

BTW, when you make it to ~81, you will have lived 1000 moons! Calculate your moonage here if you like - https://MoondogWily.com/lunaclock . I have had this calculator online for over 25 years and just revamped it this year with a new user interface. And it was all David Bowie's fault because his song "Moonage Daydream" made me think "What is my moon age?"!

What a great internet site this is that people appreciate how important a big birthday can be to the person celebrating it!

I like the OX amp top box, too, even though I haven't needed one -- yet. They are a great device for lots of applications, and Rick certainly knows what he's talking about.

Happy Birthday Bob! I don’t have a suggestion for your birthday gift other than it should match the significance of the day that you are celebrating.and this is a big milestone!
Hey Bob - Happy Birthday. And I agree with Alan above. 75 years old (three-fourths of a century as MDW pointed out) is a HUGE milestone. Celebrate accordingly: Get the stomp box of course, but add a beautiful PRS Core. You deserve it.

So let me posit this. I play all kinds of music but i do enjoy the jazz tone a lot.
If I were to buy a guitar for this would it be a Hollowbody II or a Limited special edition
TIA everyone :)
Although I have not tried one, it seems the consensus here on the forum is that the Spruce topped HB's are "the one" you want! Here is a link to one for sale - https://reverb.com/item/43993404-2004-prs-mccarty-hollowbody-spruce-vintage-natural . It may take some tweaking to get the exact tones you are looking for, but you would be starting with a holy grail template!!! Best of luck!!

Is it only the 2004 that has the Spruce top or are there other years I should look at too?
There are other years and hollowbody models with Spruce tops. Hopefully others with a greater breadth of knowledge on the topic will chime in (@maplebaby , @RickP , @11top , @]-[@n$0Ma☩!© )! I will see what else I can find on the topic!!

Here is a video from @maplebaby with his latest archtop acquisition! It is a really beautiful sounding guitar and a well done video with quality playing and review, so check this one out Bob - https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/archtop-demo.49741/ This would be another hollowbody type, and I don't know what years they were made, but I am sure he can clue you in on those bits!

Cheers~
MW

Back