Seventy Fifth BDay.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bob Hundemer, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Bob Hundemer

Bob Hundemer New Member

In a few weeks I'll be 75 years old. So I was thinking I should get something special for tha land mark day. I have two really nice amps and a 1977 Martin D18, 1997 MaCarty, a prs 594 with +pups. A Gibson 137 hollow body and a 1990s Texas special strat.
    I was thinking maybe I need a HX Stomp or something like that.
    Looking for suggestions. TIA
    Bobh

ScottR, dogrocketp, WA Paul and 9 others like this.
  2. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Happy birthday!

I like Eventide"s H9 for two things: It sounds great, and controlling all the presets with an app beats getting down on hands and knees or bending to tweak a pedal. The drawback is that while several effects are incorporated lots of the algorithms, you're limited to one effect at a time. As a result, I have two on my pedalboard. But it's based on the H3000 d/se I had in my studio rack for years, a very high end effects piece in its day, and I think it sounds pretty much the same. My son uses his to track and produce major label records.

I generally use one for modulation or delay effects, and the other for delay or reverb.

There are tons of excellent effects of all kinds in the pedal. A worthy present to yourself!

The Helix stuff is great if you need/prefer multiple digital effects that can be chained, in one box. Also very nice to gift yourself with!

ScottR, Boogie, WA Paul and 7 others like this.
  3. Tucson Thump

Tucson Thump Mint Heavy Relic

Congratulations. Get something loud and aggressive then stick your amp on the windowsill; you deserve some attention!

4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Happy birthday!

ScottR, Moondog Wily, RickP and 2 others like this.
  5. Black-Viper75

Black-Viper75 New Member

Wishing you a happy birthday !!!

6. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

Happy Birthday Bob! Two nice amps and several cool guitars, a UA Ox Amp Top Box might be a way to really enjoy what you already have at any volume… even just headphones! I really enjoy the one I have for exactly that purpose. Whatever you get, enjoy the day and year!

7. Moondog Wily

Moondog Wily Howlin' At The Moon!

Great job on hitting 3/4 of a century! Maybe get yourself a rhinestone encrusted romper!! Just kidding, whatever you choose will be perfect!!! Congrats on the 75 and cheers to your hundredth!!!!

BTW, when you make it to ~81, you will have lived 1000 moons! Calculate your moonage here if you like - https://MoondogWily.com/lunaclock . I have had this calculator online for over 25 years and just revamped it this year with a new user interface. And it was all David Bowie's fault because his song "Moonage Daydream" made me think "What is my moon age?"!

dogrocketp and LSchefman like this.
  8. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

What a great internet site this is that people appreciate how important a big birthday can be to the person celebrating it!

I like the OX amp top box, too, even though I haven't needed one -- yet. They are a great device for lots of applications, and Rick certainly knows what he's talking about.

9. Bob Hundemer

Bob Hundemer New Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and well wishes. It's really special!

LSchefman and Moondog Wily like this.
  10. Alan Jurgens

Alan Jurgens New Member

Happy Birthday Bob! I don’t have a suggestion for your birthday gift other than it should match the significance of the day that you are celebrating.and this is a big milestone!

11. aphantomvaper

aphantomvaper New Member

Happy Birthday! No suggestions except get what you want, its time! :)

12. Tom Bradovich

Tom Bradovich New Member

Hey Bob - Happy Birthday. And I agree with Alan above. 75 years old (three-fourths of a century as MDW pointed out) is a HUGE milestone. Celebrate accordingly: Get the stomp box of course, but add a beautiful PRS Core. You deserve it.

13. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

@Bob Hundemer, happy birthday! I just had my celebration of 73rd trip around the sun a couple months ago. I bought myself a couple nice Martins. But you have a nice Dread and other nice guitars. So I'm going to leave suggestions to others more intelligent. Again, happy bd.

14. Bob Hundemer

Bob Hundemer New Member

So let me posit this. I play all kinds of music but i do enjoy the jazz tone a lot.
    If I were to buy a guitar for this would it be a Hollowbody II or a Limited special edition
    TIA everyone :)

15. Tom Bradovich

Tom Bradovich New Member

Well there you go, then. You could pick one or the other. :D

16. Moondog Wily

Although I have not tried one, it seems the consensus here on the forum is that the Spruce topped HB's are "the one" you want! Here is a link to one for sale - https://reverb.com/item/43993404-2004-prs-mccarty-hollowbody-spruce-vintage-natural . It may take some tweaking to get the exact tones you are looking for, but you would be starting with a holy grail template!!! Best of luck!!

dogrocketp and LSchefman like this.
  17. Bob Hundemer

Bob Hundemer New Member

Is it only the 2004 that has the Spruce top or are there other years I should look at too?

18. Moondog Wily

There are other years and hollowbody models with Spruce tops. Hopefully others with a greater breadth of knowledge on the topic will chime in (@maplebaby , @RickP , @11top , @]-[@n$0Ma☩!© )! I will see what else I can find on the topic!!

LSchefman likes this.
  19. Bob Hundemer

Bob Hundemer New Member

Thank you Sir :)

LSchefman likes this.
  20. Moondog Wily

Here is a video from @maplebaby with his latest archtop acquisition! It is a really beautiful sounding guitar and a well done video with quality playing and review, so check this one out Bob - https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/archtop-demo.49741/ This would be another hollowbody type, and I don't know what years they were made, but I am sure he can clue you in on those bits!

Cheers~
    MW

LSchefman likes this.