Setting up PRS Mira 24 fret for slide

ScaryLarry

Hi
I am new to PRS and the group. Just purchased a used Mira 24 fret and can't believe how easy it plays and how it sounds! I can see a new PRS in my future.

I purchased this guitar for slide playing, and would like to put .011s on it and raise the action for slide and fretting. I have never had a guitar with this type of fixed bridge, so an advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Larry

Hello and welcome. Don't put the .11s on just yet. Measure and make a note of the distance between the top of the twelfth fret and the underside of the first and sixth strings as they are now, unfretted. If you do not have a measuring tool use a coin and see which fret/gap it will slide into comfortably without raising the strings.

Slacken the strings. Take a screwdriver with a nice wide fat blade. There are two mounting bolts on the bridge. Raise the bridge another three to four millimeters by screwing them anti-clockwise. Tune up and try that. Too high or too low? Slacken the strings and adjust. Repeat as needed. It will likely be necessary to adjust the intonation but for now we are trying to determine if you wish to stay with the idea. Want to return the guitar to its original action? Refer to your notes.

Moving up to .11 gauge might dictate that you need to widen the nut slots a little.

It is common to replace the nut with anew that has higher cut slots or shim the existing one but this can create problems when trying to fret the thin end of the neck. It all comes down to what works for you so try this for now.

All is reversible. Have fun.

Hi Charlie - Thanks for the reply. Good advice. I understand raising the bridge and noting the current settings. I was thinking of replacing the two bridge screws as the previous owner used too small of a screwdriver and marred them up pretty badly, but might wait on that. I realize that are two set screws for intonation adjustment. Once I put on .011s, I will check the intonation and adjust the screws as needed. I have never adjusted intonation using just two screws, so I hope it works. Theoretically it should. And yes, I may have to widen the nut slots if needed. I really hope it works as I like the simple, elegant one piece bride.
Regards,
Larry

Also, keep the strings slack when adjusting the intonation. Basically, always slacken the strings when adjusting stuff which would normally be under pressure/tension :)

Just something to consider. As you can see there is only adjustment for the two E strings on this compensated bridge. The accuracy of the intonation with the four strings between them becomes a hit and miss affair. String gauge, string type, string brands and tuning all have a part to play here. Measure the intonation of the two Es with all six strings tuned to pitch. These bridges have a tendency to lean forward towards the peg end under full tension over time so it is important to measure the intonation in this state, not with the more relaxed state of just the two E's at pitch and the others slack. And of course slacken the strings before making any adjustments like good friend Michael_DK pointed out.

Will you measure the intonation fully fretted or will you use whatever material you use to slide with?

Yeah, a higher string height would make intonation a compromise between proper intonation with fretted notes and proper intonation when playing with the slide.

Many slide guitars are without means to intonate the bridge. Just a straight bar. However, I would not worry about intonation because I could never play slide and make it sound in tune whatever the set up :)

Back