Setting tremolo to float on a Silver Sky SE

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
This is basically how I did it. I didn't do it exactly the way this guy describes but it was fast and easy. I guess it's a lot more comp0licated on a USA Silver Sky, but to float the tremolo on a SE Silver Sky is a breeze.

Sorry for the double post. I thought the Electric Instruments would be a more appropriate place to post this and couldn't delete the other post on this subject.

This is basically how I did it. I didn't do it exactly the way this guy describes but it was fast and easy. I guess it's a lot more comp0licated on a USA Silver Sky, but to float the tremolo on a SE Silver Sky is a breeze.

I don't know if I'd say it's a lot more complicated, but apparently it does require more consideration than it sounds like the SE needs. My guess is it has something to do w/the radius and how the core radius seems to depend more on a well-dialed setup. That's part of the reason I've never floated mine.

Sorry for the double post. I thought the Electric Instruments would be a more appropriate place to post this and couldn't delete the other post on this subject.

Since you started the thread, I think you can delete it or lock it. If you delete, it might not be bad to quote the messages in here so they're not lost.

I don't know if I'd say it's a lot more complicated, but apparently it does require more consideration than it sounds like the SE needs. My guess is it has something to do w/the radius and how the core radius seems to depend more on a well-dialed setup. That's part of the reason I've never floated mine.

Since you started the thread, I think you can delete it or lock it. If you delete, it might not be bad to quote the messages in here so they're not lost.

Well, I'll leave both for now. The more people who see it the more helpful it might be.

When I bought my SE I was able to spend a lot of time comparing it to the Core Silver Sky and I preferred the two post tremolo of the SE right from the get go.

I've had lots of Strats with that six screw vibrato and they were always a pain to set up and always went out of tune.

Just listen to live Hendrix. Live, he's out of tune after every dive bomb.

Well, I'll leave both for now. The more people who see it the more helpful it might be.

When I bought my SE I was able to spend a lot of time comparing it to the Core Silver Sky and I preferred the two post tremolo of the SE right from the get go.

I've had lots of Strats with that six screw vibrato and they were always a pain to set up and always went out of tune.

Just listen to live Hendrix. Live, he's out of tune after every dive bomb.

I was thinking more in terms of not losing the stuff in the other thread that's not here.

I will say the trem on my core Silver Sky has been very good. I don't really dive on that guitar, but the stability has been excellent. But diversity in tastes is what makes all of this stuff so great.

I was thinking more in terms of not losing the stuff in the other thread that's not here.

I will say the trem on my core Silver Sky has been very good. I don't really dive on that guitar, but the stability has been excellent. But diversity in tastes is what makes all of this stuff so great.
Locking tuners on the Core model Silver Sky are probably a big help.

I slightly prefer the pickups on the Core model, although I felt they were slightly weaker than those on the SE.

I have Duncan Antiquity Surfer pickups in one of my Strats, and when I compare them to my SE they sound slightly weaker too.

I felt that the pickups in the Core model sounded more like the Antiquitys.

However, the Core model pickups sounded fuller, warmer and deeper than the SE's...just a little.

Could just be my hearing though!

Locking tuners on the Core model Silver Sky are probably a big help.

I slightly prefer the pickups on the Core model, although I felt they were slightly weaker than those on the SE.

I have Duncan Antiquity Surfer pickups in one of my Strats, and when I compare them to my SE they sound slightly weaker too.

I felt that the pickups in the Core model sounded more like the Antiquitys.

However, the Core model pickups sounded fuller, warmer and deeper than the SE's...just a little.

Could just be my hearing though!

I keep forgetting about the SE tuners. Definitely can play a huge part in that.

I've never taken the time to play an SE, but it's something I want to do. In fact, I've come closer to buying one than playing one. My local store did an auction thing, and they had an SE in there for a stupid good price. When they said what it was, my trigger finger got really itchy. The primary reason I didn't buy it was because I'd just told them I'd buy a Paul's guitar that I'd passed on and was now on sale for $900 less.

I keep forgetting about the SE tuners. Definitely can play a huge part in that.

I've never taken the time to play an SE, but it's something I want to do. In fact, I've come closer to buying one than playing one. My local store did an auction thing, and they had an SE in there for a stupid good price. When they said what it was, my trigger finger got really itchy. The primary reason I didn't buy it was because I'd just told them I'd buy a Paul's guitar that I'd passed on and was now on sale for $900 less.

The SE looks similar but also quite different. It'd be nice to own both.

The tuners on the SE are really good but they don't lock the strings down like the Core model.

The pickups are different for sure. To me, the Core pickups seem closer in sound to an early 60's Fender, while the SE pickups are similar but slightly louder, brighter and more aggressive. Just slightly. Both sound excellent!

The vibrato's are different: two point in the SE and six screws in the Core.

The wood is different: poplar in the SE and alder in the Core.

The neck shape is different. The SE feels a little smaller.

And the fretboard is flatter in the SE.

There's a lot I like better about the SE.

Really, almost everything except the pickups and the tuners.

Setting the Core Silver Sky to float is very easy depending on how much wiggle you need or want , if you just want or need a smaller wiggle then just loosen the trem springs until the trem comes off the body , this is a great way to try it out and see if you like the change ( as I did )
If you want the full 1/16" off the body then a small shim and raising the trem screws along with loosening the springs is what you want.
Hopefully I will be seeing an SE later this week for a full comparison :)

Setting the Core Silver Sky to float is very easy depending on how much wiggle you need or want , if you just want or need a smaller wiggle then just loosen the trem springs until the trem comes off the body , this is a great way to try it out and see if you like the change ( as I did )
If you want the full 1/16" off the body then a small shim and raising the trem screws along with loosening the springs is what you want.
Hopefully I will be seeing an SE later this week for a full comparison :)
This PRS video makes it look a lot more complicated. Removing the neck and installing shims, etc. I didn't have to do any of that with my SE.

This PRS video makes it look a lot more complicated. Removing the neck and installing shims, etc. I didn't have to do any of that with my SE.

Like I said depends on how much wiggle you are looking to have , similar to the SE the core trem is tightened down to rest on the body at the back of the trem, If you loosen the springs the trem will float ( some ) but yes if you want to get the full 1/16th inch off the body you need to raise the bridge a bit and likely add a shim because it changes the bridge to neck angle when you raise the bridge. I did shim both of mine, used a Stew Mac shim on one made the shim for the second, I like shims that fill the whole neck pocket.

Like I said depends on how much wiggle you are looking to have , similar to the SE the core trem is tightened down to rest on the body at the back of the trem, If you loosen the springs the trem will float ( some ) but yes if you want to get the full 1/16th inch off the body you need to raise the bridge a bit and likely add a shim because it changes the bridge to neck angle when you raise the bridge. I did shim both of mine, used a Stew Mac shim on one made the shim for the second, I like shims that fill the whole neck pocket.
I was looking for a little more Jeff Beck from my SE Silver Sky.

Didn't have to do much to get it floating. Just loosened the two claw screws and the springs around the back until I could pull up on the vibrato and raise the pitch a little better than a 1/2 step. Then I backed the two screws pn the front that hold the trem to the body out a 1/2 turn or so.
Then I reset the intonation and string height a bit.

Played a bit and did some fine adjustments.

Took about 20 minutes. Maybe a little more with the tweaking and fine tuning. But no neck removal or shimming needed.

Last edited:
?????????????
Just kidding around. I didn't feel I needed to shim my SE or increase the neck angle to lower the action or any of that. It plays perfectly, stays in tune and the action is fine without a shim. But I don't own a USA Silver Sky. Maybe it is needed with that guitar? I'd love to own one and probably will someday. Until then my SE's will have to do.

Last edited:
Just kidding around. I didn't feel I needed to shim my SE or increase the neck angle and it plays perfectly, stays in tune without a shim. But I don't own a USA Silver Sky. Maybe it is needed with that guitar? I'd love to own one and probably will someday. Until then my SE's will have to do.
Cool. I'm interested in this conversation because I may have interest in an SE if they come out with a maple neck version. My SS bridge is resting on the body in the back, and the front is up just a bit (as is spec'd). If I just relieve sprint tension, there'd be almost no wiggle room before you'd be banging it on the body. You would need to raise the front of the bridge to allow any actual upward pull on the arm, which would mean A) the need to shim as they indicated, or B) a rising action as you go up the fretboard (as you know).

So maybe the SE has more space at the front to start? Or "enough"... thoughts? Pics?

Cool. I'm interested in this conversation because I may have interest in an SE if they come out with a maple neck version. My SS bridge is resting on the body in the back, and the front is up just a bit (as is spec'd). If I just relieve sprint tension, there'd be almost no wiggle room before you'd be banging it on the body. You would need to raise the front of the bridge to allow any actual upward pull on the arm, which would mean A) the need to shim as they indicated, or B) a rising action as you go up the fretboard (as you know).

So maybe the SE has more space at the front to start? Or "enough"... thoughts? Pics?
Sure. The SE is a different bridge/vibrato than the USA version. Two screws studs hold it to the top instead of six screws. Here's some photos. Some with the bar neutral, some with it plulled back to raise the pitch and one with it depressed. There is a slight space under it. maybe 1/32".

I chose the SE based on price, but also because I preferred the feel of the neck and fingerboard and vibrato. I owned a real '63 Strat for almost 40 years and never liked the vibrato. Couldn't keep it in tune. My SE stays in tune beautifully.

I'll post some photos.

Back