set up tips SE A50E angelus

sunshinewelly

I managed to pick up a new A50E from a guitar dealer in the UK at a great price. Its been through the PRS standard check over ie the tag has been ticked to show that its been checked out. It looks lovely and sounds lovely and is surprisingly similar in feel (neck wise) to my custom 24 ie very comfy.

when ever i get a guitar i always do a set up myself as far as action and truss rod relief is concerned but only have owned electric guitars etc

what action is standard on these type of acoustic - its relatively low at the top frets as expected but quite high from 12th position down. not uncomfortable but higher than i would like. I am aware that lowering action is not straight forward on an acoustic but wondering whether changing the relief will cure this

i do like as straight a relief as possible on my electrics - is a similar relief achievable on an acoustic and if so is it measured in a similar way to an electric

You should be able to dial out some of the relief w/the truss rod. Do it just like you would on an electric - slowly and patiently. With luck, that will lower the action to your satisfaction w/o creating buzz at the lower frets. The biggest difference (IMO) w/an acoustic is it's more difficult to adjust height at the bridge.

cheers - i assume the principle of checking relief is the same ie eliminate the nut and press down at first fret and at point neck meets body of guitar.

Last edited:
cheers - i assume the principle of checking relief is the same ie eliminate the nut and press down at first fret and at point neck meets body of guitar.

That's one way. I usually just wing it. I'll be doing that w/my new parlor - action is a tad high, so I'll give the truss rod a quick turn or two.

That's one way. I usually just wing it. I'll be doing that w/my new parlor - action is a tad high, so I'll give the truss rod a quick turn or two.

Other that thre high action, how do you like the parlor?

Other that thre high action, how do you like the parlor?

I haven't had as much time with it as I'd like, but I'm digging it. It's a different tone - by far - in the acoustic toolbox.

And to be clear, when I said 'high' action, we're talking a bit higher than I normally prefer, not like a mid-1970s cheap import. My old Hondo II LP copy had higher action than this. I'm thinking a quarter-turn, maybe a hair more, of the truss rod and it'll be buttery.

I haven't had as much time with it as I'd like, but I'm digging it. It's a different tone - by far - in the acoustic toolbox.

And to be clear, when I said 'high' action, we're talking a bit higher than I normally prefer, not like a mid-1970s cheap import. My old Hondo II LP copy had higher action than this. I'm thinking a quarter-turn, maybe a hair more, of the truss rod and it'll be buttery.

Cool. I'll check them out as soon as I can. My parlor (not PRS) is BY FAR my most played guitar. I love the size, and like the reports on the PRS parlor, it's surprisingly loud.

Cool. I'll check them out as soon as I can. My parlor (not PRS) is BY FAR my most played guitar. I love the size, and like the reports on the PRS parlor, it's surprisingly loud.

Interesting to hear - I was surprised at how loud this seemed as well. I thought maybe I was tricking myself a bit because the voicing is a little different, but it is really loud.

Back