Set-Up / Intonation Question

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Hey, folks,

Earlier this year, I acquired a PRS S2 SC Std A/W from Reverb. The guitar required a slight adjustment in pickup height for the guitar to sound its best.

More recently, a PRS S2 SC Satin Std was also acquired, and that guitar received a set-up and intonation.

Comparing the 2, the Satin Std IMHO sounds better than the gloss Std A/W.

My question is, the Std. A/W never received a proper set-up/intonation straight from the shipping carton. Other than the notes from the PRS website, are there any YT videos that teach how to set-up and intonate an adjustable bridge S2 SC? (My tool collection includes a machinist's rule as well as several Phillip's head screwdrivers in various sizes)

(Have viewed John Ingram's PRS videos Parts 1 & 2. Not a lot of mention what to do with adjustable bridges like those of S2 SCs)

The main reason I'd prefer to try this myself is because my amp crapped out yesterday, and my work schedule has me off from work next week, so no money flow incoming then. Will need to replace my tubes. Would like to conserve some funds and perform the set-up/intonation myself rather than allow a tech to do the work, which is $80 I'd prefer to save.

Last edited:
Well,

My gut feeling was to follow the PRS website set-up and intonation instructions, and thankfully, the results were awesome. It took only about the better part of an hour to perform the set-up and intonation without buying any more tools or requiring anything.

The instructions are relatively well-ordered (and must be followed in the correct order, otherwise, the job doesn't get done correctly)

The guitar tone is spot-on factory spec, in good order, has the correct neck relief, bridge adjustments, action, and pickup height.

Thanks go out to the PTC crew for making the job a lot easier than sending the guitar off to a tech and costing money (that is now allocated for amp tube replacements)

That's great you got it done! I have a bachelor's degree in guitar and you'd be surprised how many peers I had who could not intonate their guitar, let alone adjust neck relief. Not only do you save yourself the setup costs, but with your machinists rule, you can measure what you like and adjust everything to those specs within minutes and be fairly confident it'll be just where you like it.

Yes but can you restring the winged tuners and end up with the Christmas tree? :p

Seriously though, good job. You now have a skill that will serve you for the rest of your playing days!

That's great you got it done! I have a bachelor's degree in guitar and you'd be surprised how many peers I had who could not intonate their guitar, let alone adjust neck relief. Not only do you save yourself the setup costs, but with your machinists rule, you can measure what you like and adjust everything to those specs within minutes and be fairly confident it'll be just where you like it.

Yep, the tricky part was eyeballing the measurements in indirect light. Yet, yes, got it into the same 'zip code' as factory spec. The action is also improved.

Yes but can you restring the winged tuners and end up with the Christmas tree? :p

Seriously though, good job. You now have a skill that will serve you for the rest of your playing days!

Only owned several core models with winged tuners back in the day. The Phase II's and S2's are much easier to work with. Can't say I could do this on the fly at a gig, but easily with time and effort and hardcopied instructions offline.

T.R.A.I.N. :cool:

All that and a bag o' chips. The PRS website support page has it there for everyone to read. "Marked As Read." And, NO blisters!

Back