Semi-Weird Question/Seeking Input: S2 594 vs Core CU22

Ape2000

Hey there!

So after having owned one twice, I've grown to realize that I really enjoy playing the S2 594. Between the Pattern Vintage neck and the forearm bezel of the S2 line, it's just a joy to play, and I feel like I've always played more "inspired" when I've had one. Of course, I wound up flipping in the search for the next thing, but it sticks out in my memory.

Now, a lot of artists I enjoy that play PRS play Custom 22's and Custom 24's. To name a few bands - Karnivool, Funeral for a Friend, The Ocean, Story of the Year, and plenty more. So I do have more of a modern bent in terms of what I like to listen to and play.

Part of me feels like an older CU22 with Dragon 1's would be a great fit for my tastes.

That said, would an S2 594 DC w/Dragons or comparable higher output/modern pickups get me close? I know the 594 is built with a more vintage tone in mind. Thicker body, shorter scale length, and bridge design all point more towards an LP style of sound. But it's just such a nice playing guitar. My problem with most LP's and similarly inspired guitars is the same thing I love about em - that chunky low end. Part of me thinks the extra snap and brightness of a Custom would fit me nicely.

Anyway, I appreciate any inputs from anyone who's possibly faced a similar sort of back and forth.

Hey there!

So after having owned one twice, I've grown to realize that I really enjoy playing the S2 594. Between the Pattern Vintage neck and the forearm bezel of the S2 line, it's just a joy to play, and I feel like I've always played more "inspired" when I've had one. Of course, I wound up flipping in the search for the next thing, but it sticks out in my memory.

Now, a lot of artists I enjoy that play PRS play Custom 22's and Custom 24's. To name a few bands - Karnivool, Funeral for a Friend, The Ocean, Story of the Year, and plenty more. So I do have more of a modern bent in terms of what I like to listen to and play.

Part of me feels like an older CU22 with Dragon 1's would be a great fit for my tastes.

That said, would an S2 594 DC w/Dragons or comparable higher output/modern pickups get me close? I know the 594 is built with a more vintage tone in mind. Thicker body, shorter scale length, and bridge design all point more towards an LP style of sound. But it's just such a nice playing guitar. My problem with most LP's and similarly inspired guitars is the same thing I love about em - that chunky low end. Part of me thinks the extra snap and brightness of a Custom would fit me nicely.

Anyway, I appreciate any inputs from anyone who's possibly faced a similar sort of back and forth.

If you're like me, then you're probably getting rid of the 594s you've already owned because you want to like them more than you do. Once I've ditched multiples of the same guitar, I start to think about what that model didn't do for me that kept me moving them on. So, I'd go with something other than another S2 594.

Just to throw in another option, since you like the bevel on the S2 594, how about a used S2 Custom 22? I just picked one up and I love it - the slightly longer scale length adds back some of that snap and brightness. I only suggest used since they're currently not making them. Swap pickups to taste and you may be extremely happy.

That's a valid point. In looking back, when I've gotten rid of them, once was to try a Knaggs I saw a good deal on, the second time was to get a guitar that I thought fit the cover band I play in better - landed on a super strat.

Now I have an original project again, and find myself wanting to get a PRS again. I wish the pattern vintage carve were on more models. What profile is on the S2 CU22? I think you propose a pretty reasonable suggestion here, and I appreciate it.

You can get what you're looking for in the S2 594 with some hotter pickups. I put a set of Suhr Doug Aldrich pick ups in a Core 594. Slayed!

Awesome. That's where I'm leaning. Part of me wants to try a Core just cause I haven't yet. And I'd like the additional snap from the trem bridge and extra scale length from a Custom, even if it's an S2. But I know I genuinely enjoy playing the S2 594, and that's gotta count for something.

I think one of the Guitar Centers nearby has a used Core CU22 and 594 in stock. I could/should sit down and play both.

Awesome. That's where I'm leaning. Part of me wants to try a Core just cause I haven't yet. And I'd like the additional snap from the trem bridge and extra scale length from a Custom, even if it's an S2. But I know I genuinely enjoy playing the S2 594, and that's gotta count for something.

I think one of the Guitar Centers nearby has a used Core CU22 and 594 in stock. I could/should sit down and play both.
Sounds like a plan

I find the hardware and wood depth on the Core 594 matters quite a bit. In any event, the 25" scale length Core PRS' I have tend to have a more focused lower midrange than the 594s I own and have owned. This alone justifies having both in my small set of guitars.

So they're going to be different no matter what. However, I tend to focus on small details in audio, so the scale length difference may, or may not, be all that important in the greater scheme of things.

I'd go play a few and see what makes you happy.

I find the hardware and wood depth on the Core 594 matters quite a bit. In any event, the 25" scale length Core PRS' I have tend to have a more focused lower midrange than the 594s I own and have owned. This alone justifies having both in my small set of guitars.

So they're going to be different no matter what. However, I tend to focus on small details in audio, so the scale length difference may, or may not, be all that important in the greater scheme of things.

I've been finding that with my amp (a Landry M100L), I've got all the low mids I could ask for. I love the chunk, but it's too much of a good thing with certain guitars. An EQ in the loop would help there for sure, but I think you've mentioned is worth keeping in mind.

For once, I do have the option to go play a few side by side somewhat locally, so that's definitely my plan.

I couldn’t agree with you more. .I Purchased a Core Wood Library DGT last month from David Mann (an old acquaintance and such a wealth of knowledge whose shop is close to where I live), because I was looking for a guitar that was voiced differently than my Corsa Manaleshi LP.. less bass, more low mids.. perfect description. It has better articulation, frequentcy response and mojo….And the build quality is simply amazing. I do think the scale length does make a difference as well as the Mann designed trem…

I couldn’t agree with you more. .I Purchased a Core Wood Library DGT last month from David Mann (an old acquaintance and such a wealth of knowledge whose shop is close to where I live), because I was looking for a guitar that was voiced differently than my Corsa Manaleshi LP.. less bass, more low mids.. perfect description. It has better articulation, frequentcy response and mojo….And the build quality is simply amazing. I do think the scale length does make a difference as well as the Mann designed trem…

David Mann? Different Mann?

Back