Semi Hollow vs Hollowbody, CE vs Core

rb1

Cork Sniffer Extraordinaire
Howdy folks. I'm looking for my first PRS and I have a few questions. I'm looking to move on from an old Gibson semi hollow and I'm looking for a lighter guitar than some of the heavier guitars I've got at the moment.

I initially started looking at the S2 Vela but made the mistake of walking into a place with a couple McCarty 594 HBIIs on hand. Then I tried an SE HB Standard. Then I tracked down a CE 24 Semi Hollow. I also tried a few solid 594s. I think I've now been able to get a few minutes in on about 7 guitars.

The McCarty 594 HB ruined me. I've spent the rest of my time since I played it trying to find something that I like as much but doesn't require me to refinance my house to buy it.

As cool as the Vela seems to be, and as nice as the SE HB is for the money, neither one of them really hit me like the 594 HB. Maybe it's the fit and finish. Maybe it's the wood. Maybe it's the scale length (I've come to understand I'm more of a Gibson neck than a Fender neck kind of guy). I really like that 594 scale.

The CE 24 Semi seems like a good guitar in the range of what I'm looking for, but it's built more like a Fender with that bolt-on neck. I'm also not totally clear on the quality level relative to the Core series. I get that the consensus is the CE models are similar quality to the Core models, but the one I played seemed a little more plain (not necessarily a bad thing, but still.)

Does the CE 24 SH have a solid/carved maple top or is it laminate? Is the wood quality on a guitar like this at the same quality level as a Core? Besides the neck and the pickups is the CE really much different than the Core Special Semi Hollow?

Another question I have related to PRS guitars generally: with respect to a wrap finish where the back and/or neck are painted (can't see the wood/grain) is the quality of the wood on a PRS painted back or painted neck going to be as good? Can somebody cure me of the thought that the reason a back or a neck is painted is because it's covering up a problem with the wood?

Final question, should I just bite the bullet and get the 594 Hollowbody or will I eventually forget about it if I let it go?

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

"The McCarty 594 HB ruined me. I've spent the rest of my time since I played it trying to find something that I like as much but doesn't require me to refinance my house to buy it."

You've answered your question. Get the 594 HB. Excellent instrument that speaks to you

As an owner of two SE Hollowbodys, as well as a Core one I can honestly say I still really like my SE's. Obviously the Core is fancier, and the construction is different, as are some of the materials (and their quality level). It's an incredible instrument - but the SE's are really pretty sweet too!

You mentioned you tried an SE HB Standard. I'd recommend getting your hands on an SE Hollowbody Piezo. They're about $400-$500 more, but in addition to the Piezo pickup, the finishing is really nice, with flame maple binding all over the body, neck, headstock and even inside the edges of the f-holes. You just might find it hits all the right notes for you (pun intended), but at a much lower price point than going for a core 594 would be. And if after you try it, you find you're still really wanting the 594, then you'll *know* you exhausted all the options, and it'll really be worth it.

One other point first-time PRS buyers don't always know: With almost all dealers, the prices are negotiable. Obviously, dealers want to sell for as much as they can get, but I've gotten discounts on every one of my seven PRS's (each one bought from a different dealer), ranging from 9%-15% off. Don't be afraid to ask for a deal!

Howdy folks. I'm looking for my first PRS and I have a few questions. I'm looking to move on from an old Gibson semi hollow and I'm looking for a lighter guitar than some of the heavier guitars I've got at the moment.

I initially started looking at the S2 Vela but made the mistake of walking into a place with a couple McCarty 594 HBIIs on hand. Then I tried an SE HB Standard. Then I tracked down a CE 24 Semi Hollow. I also tried a few solid 594s. I think I've now been able to get a few minutes in on about 7 guitars.

The McCarty 594 HB ruined me. I've spent the rest of my time since I played it trying to find something that I like as much but doesn't require me to refinance my house to buy it.

As cool as the Vela seems to be, and as nice as the SE HB is for the money, neither one of them really hit me like the 594 HB. Maybe it's the fit and finish. Maybe it's the wood. Maybe it's the scale length (I've come to understand I'm more of a Gibson neck than a Fender neck kind of guy). I really like that 594 scale.

The CE 24 Semi seems like a good guitar in the range of what I'm looking for, but it's built more like a Fender with that bolt-on neck. I'm also not totally clear on the quality level relative to the Core series. I get that the consensus is the CE models are similar quality to the Core models, but the one I played seemed a little more plain (not necessarily a bad thing, but still.)

Does the CE 24 SH have a solid/carved maple top or is it laminate? Is the wood quality on a guitar like this at the same quality level as a Core? Besides the neck and the pickups is the CE really much different than the Core Special Semi Hollow?

Another question I have related to PRS guitars generally: with respect to a wrap finish where the back and/or neck are painted (can't see the wood/grain) is the quality of the wood on a PRS painted back or painted neck going to be as good? Can somebody cure me of the thought that the reason a back or a neck is painted is because it's covering up a problem with the wood?

Final question, should I just bite the bullet and get the 594 Hollowbody or will I eventually forget about it if I let it go?

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.
Nothing wrong with a CE, newer or older!

Mine feels and plays and sounds as good as my core and Private Stock guitars

The CE has a maple cap, not a veneer. As for the backs, that’s just how PRS is. Certain colors get a certain color back. Has nothing to do with the quality of the wood. That’s one thing you never have to worry about with PRS, the quality of their wood. The drying process they do to all of their wood leads to incredible consistency.

Now, as the owner of a HB594, I’d say it is going to be hard to get it out of your mind. I’ve had 3 other PRS HB versions, and the 594 is by far my favorite.

Happy hunting

These things always end up the same way, in my experience. You’ll end up buying the expensive guitar that you really love and are happy with - but only after a few years of ultimately wasting thousands of dollars on cheaper guitars on the way there. So my advice is: nothing is ultimately going to scratch that itch than getting the real deal. Save up and find a good deal, because otherwise you’ll end up wasting money on stuff before finally getting what you wanted all long. It’s happened to my a bunch of times (and I’m certainly not alone here).

These things always end up the same way, in my experience. You’ll end up buying the expensive guitar that you really love and are happy with - but only after a few years of ultimately wasting thousands of dollars on cheaper guitars on the way there. So my advice is: nothing is ultimately going to scratch that itch than getting the real deal. Save up and find a good deal, because otherwise you’ll end up wasting money on stuff before finally getting what you wanted all long. It’s happened to my a bunch of times (and I’m certainly not alone here).

This is the fundamental problem. I just found a 2021 Indonesia built SE Custom Semi Hollow with the 85/15 "S" pickups (and a coil split, which I very much want) and played it and I actually really like it a lot. It played smoothly and sounded very good. Honestly, it seemed just as nice as the CE 24 SH I played. And even though it has a veneer on the top, it looks really good. Now I'm really on the fence. It checks a lot of boxes for me.

I mean, I can get the SE for like $850 brand new or a used Core McCarty for like 4 grand. We're headed into a recession. I paid $40 for 2 beers at a concert the other day (seriously, like what's the world coming to?) The stock market is tanking. I have a G&L ASAT Deluxe made in Indonesia which is a really good, well-built guitar. Half of me understands exactly what you are saying Bird, and the other half is telling me why drop 4 grand when I can get something pretty nice for 25% of the cost and not feel like I have to baby it (or hide the receipt from my wife)? Why can't this be easier? If money was no object, it's a no-brainer, but...

This is the fundamental problem. I just found a 2021 Indonesia built SE Custom Semi Hollow with the 85/15 "S" pickups (and a coil split, which I very much want) and played it and I actually really like it a lot. It played smoothly and sounded very good. Honestly, it seemed just as nice as the CE 24 SH I played. And even though it has a veneer on the top, it looks really good. Now I'm really on the fence. It checks a lot of boxes for me.

I mean, I can get the SE for like $850 brand new or a used Core McCarty for like 4 grand. We're headed into a recession. I paid $40 for 2 beers at a concert the other day (seriously, like what's the world coming to?) The stock market is tanking. I have a G&L ASAT Deluxe made in Indonesia which is a really good, well-built guitar. Half of me understands exactly what you are saying Bird, and the other half is telling me why drop 4 grand when I can get something pretty nice for 25% of the cost and not feel like I have to baby it (or hide the receipt from my wife)? Why can't this be easier? If money was no object, it's a no-brainer, but...
Given that you have tried the SE and like it, go for it.
Yes, you might buy the core down the road, but when the economy is more stable you might not care as much about the cost. In the meantime, you get to enjoy a guitar at a comfortable price point.

I second the recommendation to try out the SE HBii Piezo (as opposed to the Standard) first.

It's got the longer scale length, so I suspect you might end up preferring the 594HB (I'm pretty sure I would if I had the money for one. I've avoided playing one for just that reason). But it's probably as close as you're going to get.

The difference between the SE HB Standard and the SE HBii Piezo is substantial.

As someone with a PRS Semi-Hollow guitar and 2 PRS Hollowbody guitars (inc a 594 HBii), you aren't going to get the same 'vibe' from any PRS Semi because a PRS Semi-Hollow is much closer to a 'weight relieved' Solid body and the Hollowbody is more like a 'Gibson Semi-hollow' (335).

This maybe because a Semi-hollow is made like weight relieving. Its removing 'some' wood, but as the Mahogany also forms the back and side, its not that deep or big. A Hollowbody is 'Hollow' with a block under the bridge for mounting. The Mahogany is only used for sides and the back/top is 'carved' maple. Maybe the fact that these are made from 'solid' wood and 'thicker' than using 3-ply laminates means that they sound more like a the '335' Semi-Hollow despite being 'Hollow'.

If you want a 'lighter' weight version of a particular model, Id recommend you go the semi-hollow route as it really doesn't make a 'significant' difference to the tone in my opinion. Its just about reducing the weight. If you are looking for an alternative to the Gibson 335, then I'd say you NEED a PRS Hollowbody. The 594 HB is the closest as you get individual tone/volume controls like a 335 although the HBii also has the same Pups these days but has a Piezo adjustable stop tail bridge and no coil splitting.

This is my 594 Hollowbody...

vTZuoJh.jpg

Let me be the third party to tell you to play an SE Hollowbody piezo. It was so good that I sold my Guild X170 that I swore I’d never sell (well, it wasn’t blue). If you still like the 594 HBll better, go for it. You only live once and it won’t get cheaper unless you buy used. Most of mine are used, including my greatest guitar of all time.

As someone with a PRS Semi-Hollow guitar and 2 PRS Hollowbody guitars (inc a 594 HBii), you aren't going to get the same 'vibe' from any PRS Semi because a PRS Semi-Hollow is much closer to a 'weight relieved' Solid body and the Hollowbody is more like a 'Gibson Semi-hollow' (335).

This is good information. My 2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe has a mahogany back, maple top, maple neck, rosewood fretboard and 2 humbuckers with split coils. Similar controls to the SE, and built in a similar factory (maybe even the same folks in Indonesia). In a lot of ways, the guitar is extremely similar to the PRS SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow, especially if the SE is more like a "weight relieved" solid than a hollowbody. It occurred to me yesterday that the SE I'm looking at maybe doesn't sound a whole lot different even if it looks different. I can pull very similar tones out of it. The SE has a slightly shorter scale and obviously looks completely different. But it's funny how two ostensibly totally different guitars can be so similar.

I got the ASAT Deluxe because I wanted more of a Tele sound and that particular guitar isn't really a Tele other than in looks. If I'm chasing a 335 sound, I'm not getting the vibe that the SE Semi-Hollow is really the one. It does play very nicely though. It's making me think I shouldn't have bought the G&L (which is really a great guitar).

Let me be the third party to tell you to play an SE Hollowbody piezo. It was so good that I sold my Guild X170 that I swore I’d never sell (well, it wasn’t blue). If you still like the 594 HBll better, go for it. You only live once and it won’t get cheaper unless you buy used. Most of mine are used, including my greatest guitar of all time.

I hear what you all are saying about the SE HB piezo. My main issue is I really want the split coils and am less interested in having a piezo pickup (I have acoustics and microphones) although it does seem very cool and would probably be a lot of fun.

Reading through all this and knowing I am looking for a 335 sound as well as really digging that 594 scale, I'm starting to understand I'm on the edge of pulling the trigger on the McCarty HB. It only hurts when the bill comes due, right?

I hear what you all are saying about the SE HB piezo. My main issue is I really want the split coils and am less interested in having a piezo pickup (I have acoustics and microphones) although it does seem very cool and would probably be a lot of fun.

Reading through all this and knowing I am looking for a 335 sound as well as really digging that 594 scale, I'm starting to understand I'm on the edge of pulling the trigger on the McCarty HB. It only hurts when the bill comes due, right?
That's a good point about the coil-splitting. Although, devil's advocate says you could get an SE Piezo and have a good luthier replace the pots with push-pull ones and rewire the pickups to be splitable, and still be *way* cheaper than buying a Core.
But on the other hand, the heart wants what the heart wants. If you're really into the Core, it'll make you happy every time you play. If you force yourself to settle for something else, even if you're happy with it, you'll still probably spend a lot of time thinking about the one that got away (so to speak...)

Reactions: rb1
Evidently on the SE HBii Piezo there's no room to do more than one push-pull pot for coil splitting: the piezo control unit is in the way. The consensus seems to be that you'd have to put in mini-toggles, and somebody here reached out to PRS and they said it shouldn't be an issue to put them in.

Or you could run them both through the same push-pull, but that'd be somewhat limiting.

But yeah, I mean, it's also the longer scale length.

Reactions: rb1
I played solid body guitars for decades. PRS hollow body guitars changed that. I have two McCarty HB Spruces and one McCarty 594 HB II, and they get 85% or better of my electric playing time. I sold my long-favored-for-335-vibe 1978 Yamaha SA2000 because I simply prefer the PRS HBs, hands down.

Personally, I’m a “get what you really want“ guy. Buy once, cry once.

Last edited:
Back