Semi-Hollow Vela: Yea or Nay

Blake Rice

Hey all! I currently own a solid S2 Vela that I absolutely love. It has been my favorite guitar since day one, and I have put a lot of time and money into modding it and making it my own (including installing a trem. More on that later...). Anyway, I also currently own a McCarty 594 Semi-Hollow Limited that I am thinking of getting rid of. It is just too much guitar for me I think. I love it but I don't need it. I would love to keep a semi-hollow in the arsenal, and I love the Vela shape and sound. Do you believe it is worth it to sell my 594 SH and pick up the Vela SH? I will likely get the Vela anyway...but I'm thinking I don't need two semi hollows even though they are very different guitars. What do you think?

First thing first - we NEED pics of the Vela with the trem.

Other than that, you’ve sort of answered your own question.

I would be loathe to sell a SH 594 since it is a limited edition, but if the Vela works well for you, then another may be the answer. I will say though, I really like the Bernie Marsden SEs - so much that I got a second, but even with different pickups in them, I still hankered for something else and that Bernie got sold. Of course a Vela WITH A TREM, would probably sound and play different enough for you to keep both,

Lastly, in case it was not that obvious before, we really, really, really NEED to see some pictures of the Vela with the trem.

Is a semi Vela different enough to from the solid body? The 594 is a very different guitar with a very different sound. It makes sense to have some variation of it both are getting use.

Otherwise, sell the 594 and buy another Vela. They're cool as hell!

Hey all! I currently own a solid S2 Vela that I absolutely love. It has been my favorite guitar since day one, and I have put a lot of time and money into modding it and making it my own (including installing a trem. More on that later...). Anyway, I also currently own a McCarty 594 Semi-Hollow Limited that I am thinking of getting rid of. It is just too much guitar for me I think. I love it but I don't need it. I would love to keep a semi-hollow in the arsenal, and I love the Vela shape and sound. Do you believe it is worth it to sell my 594 SH and pick up the Vela SH? I will likely get the Vela anyway...but I'm thinking I don't need two semi hollows even though they are very different guitars. What do you think?
What does “too much guitar for me” even mean?

Yes, a S/H Vela will sound and react differently than a solid body. It will also be noticeably lighter than the already nice & light solid body Vela.

[QUOTE="Blake Rice, post: 487690, member: 30819"Anyway, I also currently own a McCarty 594 Semi-Hollow Limited that I am thinking of getting rid of. It is just too much guitar for me I think. [/QUOTE]

That’s just crazy talk!

After spending another afternoon with my RL SH Vela, I agree with your need for one. NEED is the right word. You need one now.

What...are you still here??!! Shouldn’t you be pressing the BUY NOW button right about now?

(The SH design works great in a Vela. The Type D pickup sounds stunning with the added warmth and the Starla bites boldly with gain. Works well with a vintage PAF, too.)

First thing first - we NEED pics of the Vela with the trem.

Other than that, you’ve sort of answered your own question.

I would be loathe to sell a SH 594 since it is a limited edition, but if the Vela works well for you, then another may be the answer. I will say though, I really like the Bernie Marsden SEs - so much that I got a second, but even with different pickups in them, I still hankered for something else and that Bernie got sold. Of course a Vela WITH A TREM, would probably sound and play different enough for you to keep both,

Lastly, in case it was not that obvious before, we really, really, really NEED to see some pictures of the Vela with the trem.
I'll get some pics up as soon as my post count is high enough! I'm a newbie here :)

Is a semi Vela different enough to from the solid body? The 594 is a very different guitar with a very different sound. It makes sense to have some variation of it both are getting use.

Otherwise, sell the 594 and buy another Vela. They're cool as hell!
My solidbody Vela is anything BUT stock (specs listed in post above) so I feel that a stock SH Vela will be quite different from what I have now

After spending another afternoon with my RL SH Vela, I agree with your need for one. NEED is the right word. You need one now.

What...are you still here??!! Shouldn’t you be pressing the BUY NOW button right about now?

(The SH design works great in a Vela. The Type D pickup sounds stunning with the added warmth and the Starla bites boldly with gain. Works well with a vintage PAF, too.)
I appreciate the enthusiasm! I'm definitely inching closer to that button...

Cool, so you have a Vela with a Floyd (is it fully locking?) and regular sized humbuckers? Considering that, there will be no overlap between a SH Vela and yours. I would go for it. You will lose some coin on the sale of the 594, but if you don’t play it, then it is lost money in any case.

Over here, perched on your right shoulder is the little red guy and perched on your left shoulder is the little red guy.

Cool, so you have a Vela with a Floyd (is it fully locking?) and regular sized humbuckers? Considering that, there will be no overlap between a SH Vela and yours. I would go for it. You will lose some coin on the sale of the 594, but if you don’t play it, then it is lost money in any case.
Exactly! The Floyd is single locking, so it only locks on the bridge end. Being that it doesn’t have fine tuners, I didn’t want to deal with unlocking the nut just to retune every time. It stays in tune so freaking well though

Back