Semi hollow special 22

Wendell DSouza

Does anyone have a video of their special semi hollow 22 played through an envelope filter or wah pedal ? Want to listen how well it funks :)

Been figuring out whether this guitar or the 509 be good for me. More clinging towards the semi hollow coz of weight

I have a 509 and it has a great funk voice, in the right positions of course (in between positions on single coil of course). If I remember correctly from the couple SSH i played the weight was not that different. Both guitars are very well balanced of course. The 509 is definitely more single coil focused than the semi hollow. I would think of the the 509 as single coils that can do humbucker, while the SSH is humbuckers that can do single coils.

I have a 509 and it has a great funk voice, in the right positions of course (in between positions on single coil of course). If I remember correctly from the couple SSH i played the weight was not that different. Both guitars are very well balanced of course. The 509 is definitely more single coil focused than the semi hollow. I would think of the the 509 as single coils that can do humbucker, while the SSH is humbuckers that can do single coils.

I would agree 100% with that last statement!

I have a few local guitarists that have played my Brian's Run 509 Swamp Ash that really want me to accidentally lose it in their vehicles....

I use a Q-Tron with my Special regularly. All of those sweet Jerry tones on songs like Shakedown and Sugaree sound awesome. I've used it for other, non-Dead related tracks too, and again, sounds awesome.

I only have three pedals, and the Q-Tron of is always, ALWAYS in there.

Despite owning both a 509 and a Special Semi-Hollow, the reason I didn't respond initially was because I don't have the means to record and transfer a file here and even if I could, there is absolutely zero point in me doing so because the gear and settings I have could be different from the OP and the settings I like could also be different and that could put the OP off from buying or maybe worse, make them spend a LOT of money on something that may not be the 'best' buy.

The Special Semi-Hollow is a Custom 22 - albeit with quite a few additional tonal choices to offer more variations and slightly more classic sounding pick-ups compared to the 85/15's. The Narrowfield cannot be used on its own - not unless you mod the guitar and is a thicker sounding pick-up than a Single coil so even if you do use positions 2 or 4, you still get some of that thickness coming through with the split HB's. The split coils themselves, whilst very usable, are not the same as having a Single coil guitar. They work well in a mix when you want to thin your sound to stop muddying/competing with other guitars or bass. Essentially, this is a 'double' humbucker guitar like a Custom 24-08, 594 or 408. The 5 way select switch will only ever have up to '2' HB's active - even if the 57/08 NF is different to the 57/08 (HB) in tone. Position 2 and 4 is a bit like moving one HB to reduce the separation. If the Bridge with the neck is a bit bright, you can't roll the tone off that HB individually, but you can switch the bridge pick up for the 57/08 in the middle. The way I see it, you have 3 of the 12 options that offer 'split' only sounds - the neck, the bridge and the neck/bridge combined - the other options are all a split with a HB or all HB. Essentially, the Special Semi-Hollow is one of the most versatile 'double humbucker' guitars.

The 509 on the other hand is more like a Super-Strat and the 5-way works like many other 3 pick-up guitars - B-BM-M-MN-N - and it does sound more Single Coil than Split Humbucker. It can be set up like a SSS guitar or HSS as well. If you go for a Wood Library Ah body/maple neck - it does get a bit more stratty than the all mahogany build of the core. You can use the middle Single Coil on its own but cannot use both humbuckers together (without modding) and you can get that position 4 option - the neck and middle SC's - like a strat too. Its scale length is closer to a super-strat too at 25.25" - the SSH is closer to a LP and the same as a Custom 22 at 25". I find the bridge SC to be a bit more Tele like myself so you get a 'bit' of a Tele, a Strat and a LP in one - like a Super-strat. My 509 is quite a bit heavier than my SSH too - still not LP heavy (although some LP's - especially chambered are lighter) at over 9lb compared to my SSH's 7.5lb which was relatively heavy for this model.

The reason I am saying this isn't to put you off buying an SSH and/or convince you the 509 is the 'better' guitar for playing Funk at all but to try and inform you of what each guitar is, what it offers and maybe to help you decide which guitar you should possibly check out first. BOTH guitars could offer the sounds you want, work with the gear you want etc. One may well be 'slightly' better for you than the other - not just for that one scenario but for a lot of other musical styles, situations etc. Both are fantastic instruments and both are very different too so you may prefer one over the other but I recommend you try them out yourself where you can control the settings and tweak them to suit your own preference. You may like a lot more high end than I do and if were to take some treble out for my preference, you may think the SSH is too dark for you and be put off when the guitar could offer that high end you prefer. You can also get to feel the neck, the way it plays etc, the way the variety of sounds, feel where the controls are etc.

Personally, I tend to go for my 509 if/when I want something more stratty/tele like than I would my Special. Because all my other guitars are 'Humbucker' guitars, I tend to reach for them over the 509 but if I had my 509 in hand and want/need humbuckers, I would happily use it. I would use my SSH with split coils if I had it in hand but I would be more likely to switch guitars to my 509. Again, this is MY preference and you may feel differently.

I know its difficult to get out right now to try guitars in person but its still going to be the best option. I have no doubt the SSH can be very 'funky' but whether its the best option for you right now or not, I really do believe that you need to hear for yourself with the option to compare to other guitars and have the ability to tweak the settings to your preference.

W
I use a Q-Tron with my Special regularly. All of those sweet Jerry tones on songs like Shakedown and Sugaree sound awesome. I've used it for other, non-Dead related tracks too, and again, sounds awesome.

I only have three pedals, and the Q-Tron of is always, ALWAYS in there.
Would love to listen to some clips if you have :)

Despite owning both a 509 and a Special Semi-Hollow, the reason I didn't respond initially was because I don't have the means to record and transfer a file here and even if I could, there is absolutely zero point in me doing so because the gear and settings I have could be different from the OP and the settings I like could also be different and that could put the OP off from buying or maybe worse, make them spend a LOT of money on something that may not be the 'best' buy.

The Special Semi-Hollow is a Custom 22 - albeit with quite a few additional tonal choices to offer more variations and slightly more classic sounding pick-ups compared to the 85/15's. The Narrowfield cannot be used on its own - not unless you mod the guitar and is a thicker sounding pick-up than a Single coil so even if you do use positions 2 or 4, you still get some of that thickness coming through with the split HB's. The split coils themselves, whilst very usable, are not the same as having a Single coil guitar. They work well in a mix when you want to thin your sound to stop muddying/competing with other guitars or bass. Essentially, this is a 'double' humbucker guitar like a Custom 24-08, 594 or 408. The 5 way select switch will only ever have up to '2' HB's active - even if the 57/08 NF is different to the 57/08 (HB) in tone. Position 2 and 4 is a bit like moving one HB to reduce the separation. If the Bridge with the neck is a bit bright, you can't roll the tone off that HB individually, but you can switch the bridge pick up for the 57/08 in the middle. The way I see it, you have 3 of the 12 options that offer 'split' only sounds - the neck, the bridge and the neck/bridge combined - the other options are all a split with a HB or all HB. Essentially, the Special Semi-Hollow is one of the most versatile 'double humbucker' guitars.

The 509 on the other hand is more like a Super-Strat and the 5-way works like many other 3 pick-up guitars - B-BM-M-MN-N - and it does sound more Single Coil than Split Humbucker. It can be set up like a SSS guitar or HSS as well. If you go for a Wood Library Ah body/maple neck - it does get a bit more stratty than the all mahogany build of the core. You can use the middle Single Coil on its own but cannot use both humbuckers together (without modding) and you can get that position 4 option - the neck and middle SC's - like a strat too. Its scale length is closer to a super-strat too at 25.25" - the SSH is closer to a LP and the same as a Custom 22 at 25". I find the bridge SC to be a bit more Tele like myself so you get a 'bit' of a Tele, a Strat and a LP in one - like a Super-strat. My 509 is quite a bit heavier than my SSH too - still not LP heavy (although some LP's - especially chambered are lighter) at over 9lb compared to my SSH's 7.5lb which was relatively heavy for this model.

The reason I am saying this isn't to put you off buying an SSH and/or convince you the 509 is the 'better' guitar for playing Funk at all but to try and inform you of what each guitar is, what it offers and maybe to help you decide which guitar you should possibly check out first. BOTH guitars could offer the sounds you want, work with the gear you want etc. One may well be 'slightly' better for you than the other - not just for that one scenario but for a lot of other musical styles, situations etc. Both are fantastic instruments and both are very different too so you may prefer one over the other but I recommend you try them out yourself where you can control the settings and tweak them to suit your own preference. You may like a lot more high end than I do and if were to take some treble out for my preference, you may think the SSH is too dark for you and be put off when the guitar could offer that high end you prefer. You can also get to feel the neck, the way it plays etc, the way the variety of sounds, feel where the controls are etc.

Personally, I tend to go for my 509 if/when I want something more stratty/tele like than I would my Special. Because all my other guitars are 'Humbucker' guitars, I tend to reach for them over the 509 but if I had my 509 in hand and want/need humbuckers, I would happily use it. I would use my SSH with split coils if I had it in hand but I would be more likely to switch guitars to my 509. Again, this is MY preference and you may feel differently.

I know its difficult to get out right now to try guitars in person but its still going to be the best option. I have no doubt the SSH can be very 'funky' but whether its the best option for you right now or not, I really do believe that you need to hear for yourself with the option to compare to other guitars and have the ability to tweak the settings to your preference.
Thank you so much for your patience and perspective. The thing is I am in a place where there aren't such models for sale. My sis is coming down from Canada so she will be getting the guitar to me. I like the sound of HSS but also want a lightweight guitar coz of gigging much and I have a slight tennis elbow on my left hand from excessive bass playing this winter. If y'all interested to listen to what kind of music am playing - www.instagram.com/wanderwithwendell :)

Thank you so much for your patience and perspective. The thing is I am in a place where there aren't such models for sale. My sis is coming down from Canada so she will be getting the guitar to me. I like the sound of HSS but also want a lightweight guitar coz of gigging much and I have a slight tennis elbow on my left hand from excessive bass playing this winter. If y'all interested to listen to what kind of music am playing - www.instagram.com/wanderwithwendell :)

Bangin’!

Cool stuff!

If weight is an issue, then I would certainly consider the Special as its a lighter guitar. My 509 is over 9lbs - not 'heavy' as such but heavier than the 7.5lb Special. My Special was also one of the heavier ones I saw and most seemed to be around 7lb.

These 2 video's are quite good at demoing both the Special and 509. The 509 video shows how it can cover multiple genres often associated with Les Pauls, Tele/strats and the Special video is more looking at the variety of tones that the guitar can offer. Again though, these may well be different to your experience through your rig and can be EQ'd differently to suit your preferences but in the case of the Semi-Hollow video in particular, you can hear the differences between positions and the tapped coils so can get an idea of the versatility.

I know PRS have their own video's of both models and I would highly recommend checking them out but I think these two video's offer a different perspective of their versatility. It may also be better to get the Special Semi Hollow because those guitars were limited in number/availability and it may be easier to add a 509 at a later date.

I don't have a clue about the specific weight of the SSH. I CAN tell you that it's surprisingly light. I'm normally a heavy guitar kind of guy, so this was quite a pleasant discovery.

If weight is an issue, then I would certainly consider the Special as its a lighter guitar. My 509 is over 9lbs - not 'heavy' as such but heavier than the 7.5lb Special. My Special was also one of the heavier ones I saw and most seemed to be around 7lb.

These 2 video's are quite good at demoing both the Special and 509. The 509 video shows how it can cover multiple genres often associated with Les Pauls, Tele/strats and the Special video is more looking at the variety of tones that the guitar can offer. Again though, these may well be different to your experience through your rig and can be EQ'd differently to suit your preferences but in the case of the Semi-Hollow video in particular, you can hear the differences between positions and the tapped coils so can get an idea of the versatility.

I know PRS have their own video's of both models and I would highly recommend checking them out but I think these two video's offer a different perspective of their versatility. It may also be better to get the Special Semi Hollow because those guitars were limited in number/availability and it may be easier to add a 509 at a later date.
Just go ahead and take the full crack head move jump like me and get a Swamp Ash 509, Special 22 Semi Hollow, and a Swamp Ash Modern Eagle V and get it over with... LoL!!! 3 swiss army knife guitars all with their own flavors! I tend to build an 8 scene 6 stomp preset for each guitar and one generic one to take advantage of each guitars tone differences on that one preset on my Axe FX III MkII Turbo and FM9 Turbo.

I have a maple neck Special and use a Boss Auto Wah .. does the Jerry thing perfect ... neck pickup HB+NF

Back