Selling Stuff on Ebay

Kine

Large Member
Need to punt some items. Never sold on Ebay before. Anyone have any tips?

Need to punt some items. Never sold on Ebay before. Anyone have any tips?

Avoid it if possible. I much prefer selling gear on trusted forums to avoid eBay's outrageous fees as well as inability to protect the seller.

My rule of thumb is that I always request Paypal or Chase Quickpay (free as long as one person is a Chase member). Don't ship until payment is received. If it's a high ticket item, I always request that users have at least 50 feedback on Ebay or they must contact me first. Pack , track and insure the item - reflect those in the shipping cost and don't cut yourself short in charging for it. Document everything via messages and emails and just be smart - you should have no issues.

Nice photos and well organized descriptions will get you more views and buzz.

Thanks so much themike! You mentioned several things that will help that I wasn't considering. I appreciate the advice.:beer:

Last edited:
Ebay fees and Paypal fees - the combination will kill you... and if you are new to ebay (no feedback), you actually have less rights than you do after you have 100+ feedback... sell on VR/BAM or TGP.

I've bought and sold a ton of guitars at TGP and a couple at VR/BAM. Generally much better experience than E-bay as of late.
The fees have gotten out of hand and as I understand it your money is held sometimes until the buyer leaves positive feedback.
I occasionally buy things on E-bay but I'm done selling there.

Reverb.com has worked well for me, fees are much lower than eBay, and they don't nickel and dime you. It was started (and I think is still owned by) Chicago Music Exchange.

They are less than a year old, so relatively small # of items, but I have sold 5 items on there to date without issue.

Got a set of 57/08's on TGP and it was great. The guys there are serious about buying and selling, vs eBay which has become a fantasy land for people because they can back out of a deal with no consequences. eBay if you can't sell anywhere else. Don't be tempted by ebay's shipping discount, you can't insure your big ticket items through them (at least that I know of), and if something happens during shipping, eBay holds the seller responsible. Also heard that UPS often won't pay an insurance claim if they didn't pack the item themselves (UPS store, etc). Fedex may be similar, not sure. You definitely want to take the proper steps to cover your @$$ if you're selling on eBay and/or shipping guitars or amps. Went through all these questions myself a few months ago, sold my item, but it was a pain, and between shipping and ebay fees... ouch.

Wow, ok yeah I now understand all the flack I see written around about selling on Ebay. I certainly appreciate the heads up.

I'll check out some of the other spots. I guess I haven't had the need to sell anything in awhile and when I did was able to sell locally on CL. I'm aware of GS, TGP, RT and some smaller niche others. VR/BAM is vintagerocker I take it?

Last edited:
Indeed. A bit niche for gear commerce, mostly PRS and other high end stuff, but it's free to post your items so might as well give it a shot.

Back