Selling SE parts?

I always replace the hardware on a Core with parts from an SE. Heck, I actually buy an SE whenever I buy a Core, just so that I can strip it for parts. Makes me feel like "one of the people" and not so elitist. :D

2 years ago, I had a musical theatre gig playing “The Addams Family.” There was a banjo part. I hate playing banjo. The solution? Cheap crap second hand banjitar with tuners so bad you wouldn’t believe it! I knew there was a reason I saved those SE tuners..........

Awesome, I always dug "Thing." Now you've got a reason to rebuild the banjitar (sounds like an Australian marmot or something) Best wishes. And if it doesn't work out for you, you could always sell/donate the banjitar to your local bluegrass society.

SE trem is not that bad, what sucks is the tuning machines. SE trem has shitty steel block (just like WILKINSON) but the saddles are good non-magnetic steel. Pivot screws are made by something very soft which becomes unusable just after mounting the bridge. But overall the bridge itself it's not so bad.

SE trem is not that bad, what sucks is the tuning machines. SE trem has shitty steel block (just like WILKINSON) but the saddles are good non-magnetic steel. Pivot screws are made by something very soft which becomes unusable just after mounting the bridge. But overall the bridge itself it's not so bad.
Just out of interest... how can you make these statements when you replaced the bridge and pivot screws so soon after getting your SE? The majority of long-time SE players have used their stock bridge setups for years, and they still work incredibly well. These are mechanical pieces - you have to give them time to "break in". And "sh!tty steel block" - did it really sound bad to you, or did the internet say it sounded "sh!tty"?

Last edited:
Awesome, I always dug "Thing." Now you've got a reason to rebuild the banjitar (sounds like an Australian marmot or something) Best wishes. And if it doesn't work out for you, you could always sell/donate the banjitar to your local bluegrass society.
Actually, the banjitar got rebuilt 2 years ago by my luthier. It worked great for the gig. It's probably the loudest acoustic stringed instrument I ever played. I hate the sound it makes when I play it, but LOVE Bela Fleck. Go figure, could talent have something to do with it?

Actually, the banjitar got rebuilt 2 years ago by my luthier. It worked great for the gig. It's probably the loudest acoustic stringed instrument I ever played. I hate the sound it makes when I play it, but LOVE Bela Fleck. Go figure, could talent have something to do with it?

Same here. Not a fan of the plinky-plinky tone. A bluegrass band can do quite well with an upright bass, couple acoustics, a fiddle, and a snare, bass, and hi-hat. A banjo just seems to be on par with things like accordions, ya know? (Not a fan of accordions, either, although there are some interesting videos on YT about them)

Bela Fleck is a phenom in his own right, though I've not heard much of his music locally. There's a growing trend of bluegrass contingents locally. If it weren't for Covid, they'd have held a bluegrass festival along with a blues festival about a month apart.

Kind of sad, our favored open-mic held its last outdoor gig tonight (couldn't attend) until the governor OK's indoor gatherings again. Seems like autumn is fast approaching (trees are turning color earlier this year) and winter soon to follow.

Talent is elusive. When you think you have it, you hear someone else better than yourself and you say you wish you could play like that. Some years ago, I realized that because my formative years didn't consist of practice on end, my level of self-discipline lacked focus. Even today, my main focus is on growing and learning with respect to important projects. There's just too many distractions in life that draw my attention away from guitar practice. That being said, my practice occurs when I'm not getting into the distractions that might be counterproductive. Bela plays well because he's devoted his life to it. Can you say the same thing about the important things regards your life?

Back