Sell Me on the Grainger 5 String

colinkanders

Compulsive Noodler
So I write & record music for fun and I play all the instruments (well, I program the drums). I have a cheap 4 string bass that I've always used and it has served me well so far - I'm not a bass player, just a guitarist who can play a bass well enough for my purposes. However, I often like to have a baritone guitar sit between the bass and (normal) guitar, but sometimes the lower voicings can clash. The easiest solution is to have an additional lower sting on the bass.

There's a store nearby that has an older Gary Grainger 5 String on clearance. Even at that price (in CAD), it's hard for me to justify the purchase because it's more bass than I really need. Acknowledging that the people on this forum have a PRS bias, what do you think? Should I buy it or go for a cheaper bass, and why?

Just be warned, if you buy it, you'll probably spoil yourself for cheap bases.

If you do not buy it, you will regret not knowing what you missed.

In any case, grabbing that seems like very low risk, you can always turn around and sell it at a slim loss.

They are awesome basses. I've spent more time on the 4 string GG, but have played the 5 string a bunch. I really like the range and core tone of the GG. To me, 5 strings still feel novel, so I'm not the best to push you to that specific bass. It IS gorgeous, and I'm sure it sounds killer. If you like 5 strings, or need 5 strings, you cannot go wrong.

And, I don't think you'll lose any money if you have to sell it. That price is good!

I've only played a Grainger 5 unplugged at the PRS Experience. I took one off the table and played it on my knee. It had an innately strong fundamental, excellent sustain, and a very comfortable neck shape. For that kind of money, you could do a HELL of a lot worse.

I don't have a Grainger, but I do have a Masterbuilt Warwick. I find high end basses WAY more justifiable in their price vs. guitars. I had a few different basses around for different tones/styles, but once I got the Warwick all other basses - including my previously preferred Musicmans - were sent packing. I have the one bass now - my very high-end Warwick.

Buy the Grainger, you won't regret it.

I love to play a little bass. Have an old Peavey. Had an old PRS 4 string once but found out it was stolen and gave it back to the rightful owner.

But you are asking the wrong question. Should you buy a Grainger? No! Not if you're broke, or unemployed or have a new baby at home and need to buy diapers.

In other words, if you are in a position to buy a new guitar, any guitar, and you want the Grainger, get it. If you are not in a position to buy one, you'll have to sit this one out. It's no more complicated than that.

I would love a GG4 or 5, but I know they are way out of my budget. I try to think realistically when it comes to instruments. So, if the price is beyond my means, I will stop looking for one. I still want one, I just know I can't have one. With that In mind, I say to myself, 'Well, what's the next best thing?' For me that would be a Kestrel or Kingfisher. Both are SE's, but they are well designed and built instruments. They are not custom designed like the GG's but they have a uniqueness to them that only a PRS can deliver. Honestly, if you have the budget for it, go for it, then play the finish right off of it. Don't buy it then let it hang on the wall as a trophy or because it is too pretty to play.

Can you say more about this?

I have found over the years that, for the most part, there is more inovation and foward thinking in the realm of bass over guitar. PRS would be the exception with pickup development/switching, which to me - especially with the 408, 513, and MT concepts - are very much like what's being done in the high-end bass realm.

Most high-ended guitars are interpretations of 60 year old designs. Bass companies, guitar and amp, and often bass players themselves aren't afraid of innovation and ergonomics.

My Warwick is still made of exotic woods - swamp ash body, figured maple top, wenge neck, etc...but, also has bell brass frets, a height adjustable nut, super awesome ergonomics, series/parallel/tapped options on the humbucker with a dummy coil underneath to keep the pickup hum canceling, etc.

There's just a lot of innovation in high end basses. Truthfully, I'm a little annoyed because I bought the Masterbuilt Warwick then a few later a lot of the innovative stuff has ended up on yhe Chinese made Warwicks, lol. But, that's the cool thing with innovation, right? It trickles down.

Anyway, that's what I mean....

Hitting on that innovation trickles down thing.....

Yeah, Warwick added the Masterbuilt bridge (forget what they call it) and the adjustable nut to the Chinese basses, but one thing the high end bass still has that keeps it in the house....hand built/custom shop feel.

I’m no bass player, but I own two great ones (EBMM Stingray 5 HH, Fender “Magnificent 7” 4 string Precision). When I play or record something and it sucks, it’s clearly me. It is always better to have an instrument that is of higher quality than your playing warrants, you can grow into it.

My wife has (I started to type "I have", but realized my folly...) a 1987 Bass-5. It plays really, really nice.

I told her I'd buy her a Grainger (4 or 5) whenever she wanted. We hoped to pick one up at Experience 2020 (sigh), but we'll wait for the right reason. She loves her SE Kingfisher, which to me plays almost as well as the Bass-5.

I can just imagine how buttery smooth a Grainger would be.

So, if you can afford it, go for it.

If that was located a bit closer, I might have grabbed it under your nose. Hmm, I suppose I could have it shipped to my Mum, who lives in Canada...

o_O

Thanks for all the input!

The general consensus seems to be that it's worth the money and I should buy it if it's within my means. I have a savings account set up specifically for buying new guitars and I do have just enough for it at this point. However, after a lot of consideration, I think I'll be passing on it - spending my entire guitar fund will significantly delay buying my dream Private Stock guitar and that's more important to me than having an awesome bass.

But you guys have convinced me that I should invest a little more into a new bass than what I currently have (it cost me $50). There's certainly a benefit to not buying the cheapest bass I can find.

It would be nice if PRS offered a bass in the 2-3k price point. I'd be all over it. I was in the same boat as the OP, went with a BFR stingray 5. I also had a warmoth bodied fender bass as a 4 string. Being a guitarist primarily I drooled over the grainger basses on sweetwater...but in the end couldn't justify. IF PRS came out with a core bass in that price point...I'd be ordering a 4 string like yesterday.

I only use a bass for recording at home. I do this through my 11 rack and do not have any other bass gear (amps pedals etc). I would rather save my money for a guitar than a bass. It would give me more joy.
I have a late 80's Japanese Ibanez RD707 (imagine a pointy P/J bass) with upgraded pickups, which is more than ok for what I do.

Back