Seeking advice on modding a pickup set

Wolfen

If it´s too loud, U R too old!
Hi, I am considering to re-use a set of VB/HFS for a pickup upgrade instead of buying new. However, the guitar's appearance would benefit from chrom/nickel covers. How difficult is it to apply metal covers to the VB/HFS set? What covers would fit and where is a good source? Last but not least: Will the sound really change or will the majority of the tonal spectrum remain as is. I would not shy away from subtle tonal change, so to speak!

Thanks in advance for your help or for sharing your projects of similar nature!

In 28 years of butchering and modding, I've never played with hb covers. I'd like to know this also.

I've always removed the covers myself. Never applied them. The way I understand it is that if you don't wax the pickups, they'll become very micro phonic.

I know from removing the covers there is always a substantial amount of wax that I have to remove as well.

I had a set of Gibson pickups that I had covered. I took them over to Lindy Fralin's shop and he did them for me. I bought the covers from him. I dont know much about what or how he did it, but it only took about 15 minutes. He also wax potted the pickups before applying the covers, he said it was definitely necessary.

Adding pickup covers is an easy job !!!
I have never had a microphonic issue without wax potting ( Just clamp and solder well ) but potting is also pretty easy plenty of videos on youtube
I got my Chrome covers from Stew Mac ( Vintage spaced fit Core pickups ) and the Gibson I got the Gibson Branded covers

SCT --

Les Paul

True, my other SE CU24 30th came with the 59/09's and since I ordered it that way, I definitely will not cover them. But they're not zebras either. Don't like the look of the zebras. They're getting covered.

True, my other SE CU24 30th came with the 59/09's and since I ordered it that way, I definitely will not cover them. But they're not zebras either. Don't like the look of the zebras. They're getting covered.
I have the SE 24 Custom Floyd on layaway and it has the zebras. I'm already thinking black rings/ SD Black Winters or black rings with Nazgul/Sentient pups.

Hi, I am considering to re-use a set of VB/HFS for a pickup upgrade instead of buying new. However, the guitar's appearance would benefit from chrom/nickel covers. How difficult is it to apply metal covers to the VB/HFS set? What covers would fit and where is a good source? Last but not least: Will the sound really change or will the majority of the tonal spectrum remain as is. I would not shy away from subtle tonal change, so to speak!

Thanks in advance for your help or for sharing your projects of similar nature!

I put covers on the HFS and Vintage Bass in my 2014 SE Custom 24:

uc

Assuming that yours are stock SE pickups from G&B, you'll need a 50mm spacing cover for the Vintage Bass and a 52mm spacing cover for the HFS, which you can get from Philadelphia Luthier Supply on eBay or Reverb. I did not have the PUs repotted after putting the covers on, but I have not noticed any problems with microphonics. I had the magnets swapped on the PUs (an Alnico IV in the Vintage Bass and an Alnico V in the HFS) at the same time that the covers were installed, so I can't comment on if/how much the covers changed the tone.

On the pickup selector blade switch, is the flat blade width where the switch tip mounts aprrox. 1/8" (4.9mm) or approx. 3/16" (3.45mm)? That is one measurement I forgot to check on my lunch break. Philadelphia Luthier Supply lists theirs as fitting either an import Squier, or a Mexican Squier. Will they fit my PRS? The upside is I can order just one (black), which is all I need, as opposed other places where they give you one black and one white together.

[Edit] I pulled the tip and it IS 1/8 inch.

Last edited:
Installing covers is a simple job.
This vid from Mojotone shows you what to do.

Installing covers is a simple job.
This vid from Mojotone shows you what to do.

Thx, mate! That tutorial rules! So the only thing left is: Is a USA made VB/HFS pair 49.2mm or 50mm spacing?

Thanks for the support in advance, Wolfen

Thanks guys! I needed to see this as well, I'm not a fan of the zebras on the SE CU24 either. My goal is to cover them in a brushed or dark nickel until I can afford some Bare Knuckles in brushed.. Some day!

Back