Seeking 00 BRW McCarty info

darkinners

Hi, everyone I am new here. This is my first post:shakehands:

So someone selling me a 00's limited run (1 of 250) Brazilian Rosewood McCarty with 10 top in Vintage Burst.
Mint condition and for the price I cannot refuse.

I had 2 PRS before. A single trem ME and a CU24.(Both gone)
but never a McCarty because I kinda wary of PRS stoptail lack of individual intonation problem.

I want to seek advise from you PRS gurus.

1 .What can I expect of this instrument? What is the feel and tone McCarty differentiate between CU and SC?
2. I hear McCarty pickups sound a bit muddy and dark? If I want to replace them; any good one recommend?
(looking for balance and sweet clean, alinco II prefered but will not consider 5909/DGT/5708 as the used price quite ridiculous to me, I've seen 800 for a pair of DGT pickups )
3. Anyone know if this batch McCarty BRW limited run use stump BRW?
4. Most importantly, if I tune this instrument to Drop C or even lower, with original stoptail will the intonation way off? say I use 12-52 strings.

Thanks in advance. :adore::adore:

Hi, everyone I am new here. This is my first post:shakehands:

Welcome!

What can I expect of this instrument?

Not sure how to tackle that question. What DO you expect? If you're looking for something that is more on the LP side of the double-cut PRS line, this is it.

What is the feel and tone McCarty differentiate between CU and SC?

McCarty guitars are thicker (in the body) than a stop tail CU22. That doesn't always translate to more bottom end (every guitar is different) but that is the general consensus. Not sure what to say about the difference between a McCarty and an SC. I'll leave that to someone with a stronger opinion.

I hear McCarty pickups sound a bit muddy and dark?

Compared to what? They sound thin and dark to my ears but that is with my amps on my settings and compared to 57/08's. Lots of people still regard them as one of the best pups PRS has ever made; especially if you play high-gain amps. Your mileage may vary.

If I want to replace them; any good one recommend?
(looking for balance and sweet clean, alinco II prefered but will not consider 5909/DGT/5708 as the used price quite ridiculous to me, I've seen 800 for a pair of DGT pickups )

Most guys swear by 57/08's in the BRW McCarty's. They pop up for sale for around $350 from time-to-time on the guitar forums. If you're into alnico 2 (for heavier gain), perhaps a set of SD pups that suit your genre and amp? Other brands? Or... consider the \m/ pickups. They rock with high gain and the neck is exceptional on clean tones.

Anyone know if this batch McCarty BRW limited run use stump BRW?

No. PRS bought that lumber from Martin when they stopped using Brazilian Rosewood. It's very old.

Most importantly, if I tune this instrument to Drop C or even lower, with original stoptail will the intonation way off? say I use 12-52 strings.

Yes. Swap to an adjusting saddle bridge. The nut will need to be slotted too (for tuning stability).

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the info Hansomat!

Yes, I kinda expect it sound more on LP side and I hope it would not as bass heavy as LP.
The McCarty will play on more vintage sounding amp instead of higher gain amp.
I actually thinking BareKnuckle The Mule calibrated set.
But if I can find a pair of 5708 for $350 I might just go for it, as I heard some good thing about them.

Have you have any experience on Tone-Pro adjustable bridge? I ask because I find $300 for a PRS adjustable bridge a bit too expensive :/

Thanks again for the info.

And, Hans happens to have the very BEST BRW McCarty that they did during that time, so he should know :)

Thanks a lot for the info Hansomat!

You're welcome.

Have you have any experience on Tone-Pro adjustable bridge?

I don't.

I ask because I find $300 for a PRS adjustable bridge a bit too expensive :/

$199.

http://www.nemusiccenter.com/prs-gu...able-stop-tail-in-nickel-with-bolts-acc-4005/

Thanks again for the info.

My pleasure.

And, Hans happens to have the very BEST BRW McCarty that they did during that time, so he should know :)

Thanks again for selling it to me! :)

I've gone thru 2 pup changes in mine. Yes, the 57/08s are my favorites, but the RPs (from the original Modern Eagle were also a nice improvement...

I've gone thru 2 pup changes in mine. Yes, the 57/08s are my favorites, but the RPs (from the original Modern Eagle were also a nice improvement...

Like a lot of guys, I also tried some RP's in one of mine before switching to the 57/08's. I found them to be very sensitive to different amps. Ultimately I found them to be muddy in my EL84 amps.

Ok just got the guitar, taking a cab back home. Can't wait to plug it in.

Thanks everyone for the useful information.

Here are some pics taken by the seller.

The awesome #170/250 :beer:
Fg9emjj.jpg

CMJoimg.jpg

uy2CQeP.jpg

Last edited:
One of the better tops of the series...
Congrats and enjoy!!
I always thought of these as the pedecessor o the Modern Eagle series!

Thanks guys!

This one turns out excesses my expectation. Definitely a keeper.
The top has 3D quality in real life.

I like to get an impression of the guitar by strumming it acoustically.
This one sound kinda bland this way.

Turns out sound amazing into an amp, a big surprise to me.
The pickups indeed could be better, they are not exactly thin sounding but definitely muddy to my ears,
single note sound super awesome, it has that PRS screaming; soaring quality in it.
However chords not so much.

I am going to order BKP The Mule set. I think it would be a great improvement.
Can't wait :D

Tomorrow I will photograph the guitar and make an official NOGD post :dancing:

Send it to the PTC for a new nut and artist tweak to the bridge or order new (brass) bridge studs.

Back