SE277 Semi-Hollow Baritone

Guitarjon

I've had my PRS SE277 semi-hollow for a while now and it's truly one of the most unique instruments I've ever owned in terms of looks, features and sound! I mean, it's a semi-hollow baritone with P90's for crikey's sake!

Before I got this one I had purchased a used sunburst SE277 with the old 'SE' logo on the headstock. I was SO impressed with that guitar that I simply wanted more! So I went looking and I found this semi-hollow at a discount over at Andertons. This guitar was way too cheap for the value fwiw! Anyway, so like I said, it's unique so it doesn't sound like any other baritone. I especially love it for clean and low-gain music but I was surprised at how well it handles heavy riffs, as long as it's paired with the right amp and cab/IR.

Since this guitar is so unique it also inspires me to write music that maybe is a little bit different in some ways. That's why I would recommend something like this to everyone, especially if you're only into the 'chugs'. This guitar worked really well together with my Orange OR15 for some reason, love how they compliment each other.

Here's a short demo/review video where I also talk a little bit about the guitar and stuff:

I would really like to have one of these but in standard scale, that would be cool but I don't think PRS has ever made them... maybe I'm wrong? Who else has one?? SE277 fans UNITE!!

I really dig my SH 277 with soapies too! Definitely inspires me to write/arrange a little differently.

I would really like to have one of these but in standard scale, that would be cool but I don't think PRS has ever made them... maybe I'm wrong? Who else has one?? SE277 fans UNITE!!
What do you mean by having one in Standard Scale? Do you mean basically a Semi-hollow CU22 stoptail with P90s? The old semi-hollow SE with the "slash" hole is pretty close in some configurations, IIRC.

e.g.:

https://reverb.com/item/35527608-prs-se-custom-22-semi-hollow-electric-guitar

dnbmdlpderwgkdxrqa4y.jpg

Very nice tone and playing, I liked it a lot. Reminded me of a new band (new to me) that I've been following, Karnivool, sort of that modern, heavy but progressive sound to it. I've never owned a baritone before, how hard to pick up coming from a normal guitar? I'll usually tune down a half step, sometimes drop D/C but I don't get too adventurous overall.

Thanks guys!

I really dig my SH 277 with soapies too! Definitely inspires me to write/arrange a little differently.

What do you mean by having one in Standard Scale? Do you mean basically a Semi-hollow CU22 stoptail with P90s? The old semi-hollow SE with the "slash" hole is pretty close in some configurations, IIRC.

e.g.:

https://reverb.com/item/35527608-prs-se-custom-22-semi-hollow-electric-guitar

dnbmdlpderwgkdxrqa4y.jpg

That looks kinda cool but I prefer the F hole over this shape, also not really a fan of black models for the semi-hollow and/or P90 guitars. However, if I ever find one of those I might get one anyway, thanks!!

I recently picked up one with humbuckers. And a set of BKP P90 Mississippi Queens. It's awesome.

Awesome! A semi-hollow or one of the solid bodies?

Very nice tone and playing, I liked it a lot. Reminded me of a new band (new to me) that I've been following, Karnivool, sort of that modern, heavy but progressive sound to it. I've never owned a baritone before, how hard to pick up coming from a normal guitar? I'll usually tune down a half step, sometimes drop D/C but I don't get too adventurous overall.

Karnivool is cool! Baritone guitars are sooo awesome, love them a lot! I would recommend trying one because they can be very inspiring to play! Even a normal G chord or something sounds very different, so it feels fresh because all the familiar things sound different, if that makes sense?

Thanks guys!

That looks kinda cool but I prefer the F hole over this shape, also not really a fan of black models for the semi-hollow and/or P90 guitars. However, if I ever find one of those I might get one anyway, thanks!!

Awesome! A semi-hollow or one of the solid bodies?

Karnivool is cool! Baritone guitars are sooo awesome, love them a lot! I would recommend trying one because they can be very inspiring to play! Even a normal G chord or something sounds very different, so it feels fresh because all the familiar things sound different, if that makes sense?
Mine is solid. It sounds great stock. I’ve uet to inject the MQs. They are HP90s.

Mine is solid. It sounds great stock. I’ve uet to inject the MQs. They are HP90s.

I'm definitely no expert when it comes to P90's but I think the stock ones sound great. What do you think is 'missing' from the stock pickups?

The guitar he has comes with humbuckers

the bareknuckles are humbucker sized p90s, for using in HB guitars, they are really good pickups

I'm definitely no expert when it comes to P90's but I think the stock ones sound great. What do you think is 'missing' from the stock pickups?
I don't think the stock pickups lack anything for that guitar, but I had intended to buy the P90-loaded version but couldn't find one. So I grabbed some HP90s to enable the next best thing. We'll see if I put them in. I might put them in one of my 594s if I don't stick with the plan.

I don't think the stock pickups lack anything for that guitar, but I had intended to buy the P90-loaded version but couldn't find one. So I grabbed some HP90s to enable the next best thing. We'll see if I put them in. I might put them in one of my 594s if I don't stick with the plan.

Awesome! That reminds me that I need to try P-Rails one day....

Great video, looking forward to more.

Thanks! :)

Back