SE245 tobacco sunburst finish variation

AussieLance

Australia, then just keep going south till you can
I'm looking at buying a new SE245, and have a question about the tobacco sunburst finish.
From pictures I've found on-line, there looks to be quite a variation in finish intensity of the sunburst, and was wondering if it's just the photos, or if there is in fact a difference depending on the individual guitars. A couple of examples below. I prefer the left image, being a little more natural, but my local shop only has one, and it's like that on the right. Unfortunately I live at the bottom of the world, so not much ability to check out different shops.

front.jpg
images

Welcome to the forum, Lance!

All SE 245s came in the same shade as the right image. The PRS website image didn't show the correct colour. The SE Singlecut (predecessor to the SE 245) also came in the colours in the left image on the website but actual colour looks like the right image too. I think the only one that came in a shade similar to the image is the SE Bernie Marsden. See if you can track one down and take a look at the colour. Or you could try hunting for a Dark Cherry Sunburst one.

I often look at camera photos (NGD threads are good places to look into) to get the idea of the right colour, because studio photos are mostly edited or have compensated lighting. It does look greater but it doesn't reflect the way it looks in a natural setting.

Thanks Justmund. I'm based in Hobart which must be in your vicinity, as I was reading over the weekend about you being in (and recently leaving) the Navy band.

Out of interest, we've seen the band lots, but for some reason always thought the guitarist (could have been you) was playing a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but when I tried cyber stalking you, I saw Vox in some band photos. Oh well.

Anyway, back to selection and shops, there is only one local, which while great, don't have much of a selection, and the second hand market is almost non-existent, so may have to wait till I'm next on the mainland to do some browsing. Tried contacting the importer to see if they supplied any other retailers, but no luck so far.

the grey black ones in these pics look very close to the real colour. Maybe not the first pic, but at the centre, the faded black part looks like the actual guitar i've seen.

I hope I got the right colour there, I've been checking out a couple of SE Tremonti and Customs with that colour and these pictures translate closely to what I saw in the shop. And please don't take offence in me stealing pictures of your SE, somebody in the forum! :vroam: They sure look great!

Hey, thanks MaxTuna, the grey black may end up being what I'm looking for. Am I correct in assuming the finish is the same on the SE245? While the custom and tremonti are lovely, I really want a fixed bridge with this one. My 1990 Ibanez 540S has a Floyd Rose trem, and I want something that's going to sustain till the cows come home.

Thanks Justmund. I'm based in Hobart which must be in your vicinity, as I was reading over the weekend about you being in (and recently leaving) the Navy band.

Out of interest, we've seen the band lots, but for some reason always thought the guitarist (could have been you) was playing a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but when I tried cyber stalking you, I saw Vox in some band photos. Oh well.

Anyway, back to selection and shops, there is only one local, which while great, don't have much of a selection, and the second hand market is almost non-existent, so may have to wait till I'm next on the mainland to do some browsing. Tried contacting the importer to see if they supplied any other retailers, but no luck so far.
Haha oh crap, yeah that's me. The other guitarist uses a Vox, and the other, other guitarist uses an Egnater Rebel. I went through lots of different setups, the band has a HRD but sometimes I'd use my amps, Egnater Tweaker 40, then DV Mark Little 40 and more recently a Mark V. One thing that has remained consistent has been PRSes tho. Been doing it for 7 or so years so you would have seen me play for sure. Weird... bloody Tasmania!

Did you try the Bernie Marsden they had/have at Hobart Music Centre?

If you ever want to try a US PRS just let me know :)

Hey, thanks MaxTuna, the grey black may end up being what I'm looking for. Am I correct in assuming the finish is the same on the SE245? While the custom and tremonti are lovely, I really want a fixed bridge with this one. My 1990 Ibanez 540S has a Floyd Rose trem, and I want something that's going to sustain till the cows come home.

the finish will be the same :) no worries then! I also had plans to get myself a stoptail guitar, because the SE Custom definitely sustain less to all those stoptails, but that's because I had the bridge floating high. I love the way my brother's tele resonate, the whole thing just vibrates forever! I've been eyeing an SE Tim Mahoney in my nearest shop lately, and I love those light blue colours so much, gives it a very '60s customised classic cars vibe. :laugh: thing is, they are doing a sales now but they don't have discount for that model, or else i wouldn't have waited any longer!

No offence taken!!! Those are my Tremonti's!! The pic in the grass is what it looks like after the mods!

haha! you're cool man :cool: I love the grey black a lot as well, there's also an SE Tremonti at the shop in that colour, but it's super heavy!

Back