SE245 … compared to S2 594 SC?

stankbank

I own a great SE245. My local music shop announced an elephant grey S2 594 SC for sale for boxing week ($500 off Reg Canadian price).

Having not tried the S2….. are these guitars too similar? I read a lot about the S2 not being enough value for the price. I am going to try it later today but I’m curious to capture any thoughts from this group.

Happy holidays!

The SE245 is an immense guitar, that plays way above its price point. It’s ideal for mods/upgrades, all of which can be returned to original spec, should you decide to sell on.

@ScottR has both, he will most likely be on here later today, so I’ll let him chip in.

My feelings are that he will tell you there is a difference and it seems on here that the S2 range is well thought of.

That’s also a tasty discount.

Happy twanging.

I own a great SE245. My local music shop announced an elephant grey S2 594 SC for sale for boxing week ($500 off Reg Canadian price).

Having not tried the S2….. are these guitars too similar? I read a lot about the S2 not being enough value for the price. I am going to try it later today but I’m curious to capture any thoughts from this group.

Happy holidays!

There are differences and similarities between the two with the 594 being more traditional in its layout. You get different Pups too but in general, they are 'Similar'. The S2 of course is a US made 'body', made in the same factory as Cores and around half the Price of Cores.

In terms of 'Value' for 'Price', that is going to vary from Person to Person. A 'Core' PRS is 'expensive' but its a guitar built with 'no' compromises. Some 'compromises' may not be significant for some people, but for others, that maybe a 'Compromise' too much. But instead of looking at it from the Perspective of is S2 worth the 'extra' cost over an SE, are the 'differences' worth paying 'more' for (which is Subjective), look at it another way. If a Core is the 'best', an SE is not giving you a 'quarter' despite costing a quarter, an S2 isn't 'half' as good as a Core so an S2 can't be 'twice' as good as an SE. Its more like 85% for SE, 90% for S2 because some 'Compromises' like neck construction (1 piece vs Scarf joint) don't really make a 'significant' difference in the sound or playability of an instrument, but saves a LOT of money in terms of Labour, Waste material etc etc. Veneers save a lot of money over Solid 'pretty' woods, Built overseas saves money on Labour/overheads costs etc so it depends on what 'Compromises' you can live with/accept, whether the differences between the 'tiers' are worth it to you, how you 'value' guitars/money/where things are made etc.

The SE's are meant to bring the 'best' bang for buck 'PRS' instruments you can buy - that's why they are made Overseas to keep labour, overheads etc low to offer the closest 'experience' to owning a Core PRS for less than $1k. The S2 range is the 'cheapest' they can make their guitars in the US, using some 'Overseas' manufacturing to keep the costs low - the 'entry' point for those wanting US made - actually made by PRS and not their Partners. Both are designed to offer the 'closest' to the 'Core' experience for those who can't afford or justify buying a Core and both get 'closer' than their cost would suggest. Like I said, you aren't getting a quarter of the experience just because you bought an SE or half because you bought an S2. The differences are there but whether you 'think' they are worth paying for or whether the cheapest option is the 'best' value, that's up to you to decide. The little things may add up to make it easier to justify spending more, but the SE's are still 'Professional' Instruments to handle Gigging, Recording etc and maybe 'enough' for your needs, for your budget...

The wrap tail bridge on the SE 245 vs. the two piece bridge on the S2 594 would be the most obvious difference to me.
I prefer the wrap tail type bridges from years of playing Tele's and l.p. Jrs and Specials.
Also, the scale on the 245 is 24.5 inches vs the 24.594 inches on the 594.
Personally, I'm not astute enough to discern the difference in "feel" of a neck scale of 0.094 inches spread over 22 frets....ymmv, though.
My 245 is my "not a Les Paul Les Paul"......I keep thinking I'll swap pickups in it, but so far that hasn't happened.

Yeah I think @Alnus Rubra & @Mozzi nailed it. Both are great guitars no matter how you slice it.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…the SE line is IMHO the best value in the sub 1K range of guitars available today. They are a huge bang for the buck. That being said, the S2 is also ridiculously good for a guitar for 2K or less, judging by other brands I’ve played anyway. But apples to apples both models punch way above their weight class when compared to other brands similar guitars. But like most things…It’s only worth the difference in price, if it is to you. Just be prepared because the S2s are sweet! If you play them side by side, you’ll probably notice subtle differences that make it just a little better than the 245. A thousand bucks better? Probably not. But it’s all relative and it’s all subjective.

For me it’s about justifying how much I spend compared to my abilities and what I plan to do with it. I play at home for my own enjoyment, period. It’s my passion. The reason I have the S2 and will eventually own a core, is strictly because I love them and I love the fact that they are hand made by the folks in Maryland. But, it’s really hard to tell you if the S2 it worth the difference. It is to me. But you do you. Just know either is a fine instrument no matter what.

We’ll be here to give you an ever so gentle shove if you need more motivation to snatch it up. Ya know because we’re enablers. Good luck.:cool:

Core level bridge and tuners on the 594! Even if the tuners are not locking they are very good at doing their job.

And the whole veneer vs real maple cap. Personally i prefer the s2 594 line.
Both the SE and S2 have a 'Solid' Maple cap - the only difference is that the SE also has a Veneer on top to 'look' prettier where as the S2 is the 'natural' grain of the top - still a nice piece of Maple, but its not the same visual patterning as you'd expect from a 'Core' which is where the 'veneer' on the SE is closer to emulating.

That's one of those 'Compromises' I talked about - whether the 'thickness' of the Maple Cap matters, the way its carved and even whether the 'grain' pattern matters because those affect the cost in both materials and labour which is why they 'compromised' here to make S2's and SE's 'more' affordable than their Core versions.

With an S2, you can (usually) see the wood, its grain and how many pieces were used in its construction - but an SE is generally covered with opaque paints and veneers to hide joins and plain looking woods that wouldn't 'resemble' the Cores they are supposed to look like. Again that's one of those Compromises to make a 'PRS Core' like guitar to sell at around a quarter of the price. When you get to S2's, you get to see the woods its made from but they are maybe a bit less 'figured' and more 'basic' design to reduce the amount of waste, therefore more 'product' from same Raw material and less labour time to reduce the overall cost vs a Core so there are some 'compromises' there too. You have to decide whether its still 'good enough' for the Money or whether you really need to spend more to get the guitar where fewer Compromises have been made to sell those models at that price.

You can argue that Single Piece necks vs Scarf Joint made from a Plank is not a 'compromise' as a player, doesn't affect tone, playability, aesthetics etc but it certainly affects the 'price' - much more 'Raw' material needed, more time taken to ensure it doesn't warp/twist as you remove material, more care needed during manufacture etc so that really affects the Price. Therefore, paying 'more' for Prettier, thicker Maple caps with more 'complex' Carve and single piece necks maybe would NOT be worth paying double for so those 'Compromises' that had to be made to make an S2 version at half the Price of a core may well not seem like much of a compromise, if any to you and its better 'value' to buy the S2 and upgrade any 'SE' grade parts. An SE owner may think their SE is certainly as 'good' if not better than the S2 or Core version for a Quarter of the Price because the 'compromises' made still produced a Fantastic instrument for less than $1k and S2's, Cores etc don't offer enough 'extra' to justify spending more on. For some, they would rather have an instrument with 'no' compromises and why they'll buy the Core. Those little differences add up to them to 'justify' that tier. For you, maybe the sweet spot is the S2, another may feel that SE's offer a better bang for buck and you are paying more for things that don't really matter - at least in their opinion.

Still comes down to personal preference and all the veneer does on the SE Custom is to create the 'look' of the Core but it still has a Maple Cap under that Veneer. Its not like the thickness of the maple on SE's is just 'wafer' thin and on S2's, you actually get a decent maple cap on it...

Last edited:
New guitar pics here:

I fear the nut is cut too deep. Right now the relief is set at around 0.010 (.254mm) and everything at the first fret seems rather low. I am not able to get factor spec readings at the first fret - it's not really buzzing, so I am not sure if I should be concerned or not. My Custom 24 S2 first fret has more clearance.

New guitar pics here:

I fear the nut is cut too deep. Right now the relief is set at around 0.010 (.254mm) and everything at the first fret seems rather low. I am not able to get factor spec readings at the first fret - it's not really buzzing, so I am not sure if I should be concerned or not. My Custom 24 S2 first fret has more clearance.
Congrats!!

New guitar pics here:

Looks great, congrats! And I'd say if you're not getting buzzing, I wouldn't worry about it being too low, at least for now. Maybe over the course of a year with seasons/conditions varying that will change but for now - don't fix it if it ain't broke! :cool:

Congrats and welcome to the 594 family! It is such a versatile platform and amazing guitar to play. For what it is worth, all of my 594's are setup wit 5/64" at the twelfth so it sounds like your guitar may be setup ok.

Happy holidays!
So, how does the neck feel in your hands compared to the 245?

So, how does the neck feel in your hands compared to the 245?
I would say it feels more solid, all around - tuning stability is better (I have the SE Locking Tuners on the 245) - everything just seems tighter in the fit and finish. The sound is more sonically pleasing as well. The 245 is no slouch, but I can hear/feel the difference for sure.

Back