SE Zack Myers open string warble

Tom Buckland

Hi everyone. I have recently bought my first PRS, an SE Zack Myers which I love, but which has developed a strange sonic warble on the B and bass E strings when played open. The E string in particular almost sounds harmonic after the note rings for a couple of seconds.

I’ve checked the string height which is at the recommended 0.2mm and the neck relief seems to be where it should be. Does any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.
Tom

Sorry - the neck relief is 0.2mm - the string height is at 2/32 or thereabouts. I’d have far bigger problems if my string heigh was 0.2mm!

I suggest a test. Loosen both strings and put a tissue under then so that the tissue gets pressed into the nut under the two strings and bring them back up to pitch. Tear the tissue away so only the part under the strings is left and play it. See if the warble goes away.

Guessing the strings are still in good shape? Did you go thicker, recently? Could be nut or bridge saddle filing time, but just a hunch.

Thanks - I’ll try the tissue test next time I’m at home. If it relieves the problem would that indicate the but slots are filed too low?

Guessing the strings are still in good shape? Did you go thicker, recently? Could be nut or bridge saddle filing time, but just a hunch.
Yeah the strings are pretty new - I’ve only had it a few weeks and changed them shortly after I bought it. I think it’s comes factory fitted with 9s but I changed them for 9-46s - hopefully such a small change wouldn’t cause an issue.

Thanks - I’ll try the tissue test next time I’m at home. If it relieves the problem would that indicate the but slots are filed too low?
No too low, too wide. The tissue will take up the extra room in the nut. The string can't move in the nut and that is what you might be hearing. It could also just be bad strings or the nut is too tight. But when I had that and tried the tissue it solved my problem on an acoustic with a worn nut. I still haven't changed out the tissue. Just left it there (it's a cheap acoustic for one of my students).

Ok great I’ll give it a try. Seems odd that a brand new PRS would have a problem like this but it’s still in warranty so sure I can get it fixed if need be.

Ok great I’ll give it a try. Seems odd that a brand new PRS would have a problem like this but it’s still in warranty so sure I can get it fixed if need be.
HOW MANY TIMES ARE THE OFFENDING STRINGS WRAPPED AROUND THE TUNER POST?
For non locking tuners I suggest 2- 2.5 times around the post. String quality may help too.

HOW MANY TIMES ARE THE OFFENDING STRINGS WRAPPED AROUND THE TUNER POST?
For non locking tuners I suggest 2- 2.5 times around the post. String quality may help too.
I’m using new Elixir Optiwebs - there could be room for another wind on E, maybe 2 on there max. I can see 3-4 winds on B but again I could use more to get the break of the string over the nut a little deeper.

Back