SE Zach Myers - 2015 vs 2017

Travis Campbell

Hi there,

I'm in the market for a replacement to my 78 Gibson The Paul and am really interested in the SE Zach Myers. Unfortunately we don't have any dealers I'm aware of nearby, so it will be an online purchase.

Anyway, my question is if anyone can give me some feedback on the differences between a 2015 and 2017 model. I can get the 2015 model for about €300 cheaper...

Thanks,

Travis

The only differences are slightly better pickups and the inclusion of the Paul Reed Smith logo on the headstock instead of the SE logo. If you think that justifies the €300 price increase then get the 2017 model. I'd get the 2015 model and maybe put my own choice of pickups in, if needed, which it probably doesn't as they're already fine pickups.

Here's the old model.
http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/se/se_zach_myers

And here's the new one.
http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/se/se_zach_myers_2017

Spot the difference...

Last edited:
I have a 2015, and I still have the stock pups, they sounded just great - although I did put covers on them to sexy it up a bit which might have had a tiny tiny change to the tone - taking a bit of the edge off.

Looking at the PRS Product page, the 2017 ZM comes with SE 245 pickups, so I'm not sure if there is any difference with what I have. So that would mean the only difference is the headstock - I'd buy the 2015 and save the cash.

I have the 2015 as well, I swapped the pickups out to probuckers for the versatility of coil splitting which I do enjoy, but it sounded great stock as well. My vote would be 2015 and if you don't like the pickups you have some extra change to get what ya like.

I have the 2015 as well, I swapped the pickups out to probuckers for the versatility of coil splitting which I do enjoy, but it sounded great stock as well. My vote would be 2015 and if you don't like the pickups you have some extra change to get what ya like.

This

I +1 THIS this.

While I love the headstock change for 2017, and think it was a brilliant move for the SE range, across the board... $300 would be almost halfway to a 20W Sonzera.

Or half of another SE (we all need more guitars).

Or a great set of pups.

Or a deposit for a Core.

Or 100 packs of EB strings.

Back