se wammy replcement

scottsgh

hi, newbie here. i just got a se custom from a pawn shop for $150. it was scratched to holy hell on the back, so i got a deal. i sanded most of them out, and am going to refinish it. while i have it apart, does anyone know a good whammy replacement? i never had a guitar with one before. if anyone knows, or has done this, i'd really appreciate your advice. i don't know if i can put a khaler, or whatever brand. thanks. scott

I'd look at replacing the smaller things first and go from there. A PRS USA nut will work wonders for trem stability, and add some locking tuners and it will be better still (e.g. Grover 406C)

The SE trem design is pretty much the same as the US one, but they don't have a brass trem block, and the other materials aren't as high quality. It still works well out of the box (assuming it is set up right, and you need to follow the instructions on this one!) but can be improved with some small tweaks as per above.

You could replace it with a USA trem, there are some others but not sure if they are a drop in replacement like the USA one. It all depends on how far you want to go, and what you want from the guitar??

I'd look at replacing the smaller things first and go from there. A PRS USA nut will work wonders for trem stability, and add some locking tuners and it will be better still (e.g. Grover 406C)

The SE trem design is pretty much the same as the US one, but they don't have a brass trem block, and the other materials aren't as high quality. It still works well out of the box (assuming it is set up right, and you need to follow the instructions on this one!) but can be improved with some small tweaks as per above.

You could replace it with a USA trem, there are some others but not sure if they are a drop in replacement like the USA one. It all depends on how far you want to go, and what you want from the guitar??

thanx. i'm stil working on refinishing. i just wanted to know if i can replce the trem easily. i'll try replacing the nut, i've seen them on e-bay. what is a usa trem? any help would be appreciated.

Back