SE vs S2

Good choice Sam, if you enjoy yours even half as much as I do mine you'll be a happy player. :)

No rip off at all. S2's are a fair price. SEs are a steal and the best deal in guitars anywhere.

Well that's subjective. A best deal would mean to get the guitar you actually want for a price that you feel gives you value. That may be a Bernie, a Mira or a Honey burst McCarty Singlecut. An SE gives a lot of value to many, others want something else.

Glad you found one you like.

SEs are great guitars for the price. S2s give you more of an American made guitar AND a bunch of unique models. If you want a Mira or Starla, you go S2. If you want some options in the semi-hollow realm, you have the S2s and the Zach Myers. Choose what works for you. No matter which route you go, you're getting a great guitar.

( We have the same name ) Which 24 did you get? I liked the Dark Cherry and the the McCarthy tobacco style tops.

One difference i think isn't brought up enough is comfort. The one thing about my SE's that i wish were different was the lack of much contouring on the chest side. They can get uncomfortable after playing awhile (for me) depending on your position (especially sitting). S2's and up that i've seen have better contouring.

Last edited:
To say that an S2 is just an overpriced SE is such an asinine statement.

I played both an SE Custom 24 and an S2 Custom 24 at my local music store before I ended up getting an S2 - you can absolutely see, feel, and more importantly, hear the difference between the two lines - the S2 is overall a better instrument. I ended up getting my brand new S2 for $1,160 from Musicisian's Friend with their 17% off sale - to me, it was worth every penny I paid for it. Definitely worth the extra $$ over the SE.

For the record, I'm not shitting on the SE line - they are probably the best bang for your buck electric guitar in that price range over any other brand out there, but an S2 it is absolutely not.

I think it says volumes about the full-line of PRS guitars that people can argue about quality, playability, value and sound just within those three product lines and not compare them to another brand.:congrats:

Indeed, there are plenty of other manufacturers who don't quite get all their ranges up to scratch quality wise.

The best thing about PRS (regardless of range) is that you can happily buy them blind from online retailers and be comforted that when it arrives, it will be up to scratch.

I'm buying a Les Paul in a few weeks, but the fact that I'm going to have to go hunting for one is putting me off. If there was a S2 245 I wouldn't even be considering a Gibson.

Wow lots of talk about guys getting s2's but I see no pics..wth lol

Do note that SE's have multi piece bodies, even the premium ones like the Tremonti custom, which is a bit of a let down for me. The seams are obvious.

I really do like the S2 Starla. It's unique and stands its own against anything else. A very vintage vibe where any core style bling would not be suitable. Even the bevelled top suits it better than a nice carved core top. As for sound, I'm sold based on YouTube demos alone.

I played an S2 Starla a while back... really nice guitar! Definitely worth getting.

S2 Starlas are pretty great - I say that as a super Starla aficionado - and before anyone says "go out and find a cheap Core Starla instead" - well, they are now getting hard to find and the prices are going up when you do see them.

S2 Starlas are pretty great - I say that as a super Starla aficionado - and before anyone says "go out and find a cheap Core Starla instead" - well, they are now getting hard to find and the prices are going up when you do see them.

Truth man. I played a Starla over the weekend that was flat-out amazing. I could be wrong here, but I still sense that the majority of the S2 detractors out there (especially the "core" snobs, of which there are many but luckily not on this forum) have not played one.

Truth man. I played a Starla over the weekend that was flat-out amazing. I could be wrong here, but I still sense that the majority of the S2 detractors out there (especially the "core" snobs, of which there are many but luckily not on this forum) have not played one.

I think that's spot on. When the S2 stuff was announced I was a bit nervous/negative myself about the concept, I dislike companies that just feel the need to continually "fill pricepoints" and guitar companies are kinda notorious for that. Except in this case they actually did it with a good product rather than a cobbled-together compromise, and the Starla is arguably the standout model since it's not something that has an analogue anymore in the Core line.

I just got it today, and I said I would post a pic so here it is!
PRSS2Custom24_zpsddbfffff.jpg

Back