SE vs S2

:beer:
It wasn't that long ago that I was preaching the gospel of the SE. I went and tried several S2 custom 24s, not even the model I'm interested in, and they blew the old time religion right out of me. They are a huge upgrade.

Great comment ......very true

It wasn't that long ago that I was preaching the gospel of the SE. I went and tried several S2 custom 24s, not even the model I'm interested in, and they blew the old time religion right out of me. They are a huge upgrade.

I dunno... When I decided to pick up a Custom 24 a month ago, I played literally every Cu24 my dealer had in stock, from SE to S2 to Core. The S2s were my least favorite -- I didn't care for the finishes, the pickups, or the neck profile. I actually liked the Core and SE versions about equally well; the Core had better pickups and finishes but I didn't care for its switching setup or neck profile, and the SE was easily modded and a heck of a lot cheaper. I went with the SE and did some inexpensive mods (5-way superswitch, replacement PU magnets and covers, decking the trem).

Whats with all the hate towards the s2's? On a non PRS forum the comments are mostly positive, but here the PRS owners are not so happy with the s2's.

Some are happy comments and some are not so happy. I'd go out and play all three if you can then decide from there . Keep in mind try not to let price lead your goal. That usually brings regret for not getting what you want.

Here are my three :

Btw the s2 plays amazing and great sustain.....

The wood they use on the s2's is the same as the ce line and we all know what reputation ce's have .....

Mike, I don't think it's fair to say that PRS is ripping people off. Their bang for the buck compared to anyone else's is in a whole different category in my mind. Yeah, I've had or still have all the usual suspects. But my PRS are the ones I use when I gig. Give me any PRS type. They all make sounds that I like to hear. I will not mod my old Mira, but I enjoy buying the SE's and changing things to hear how they sound. I'd love an S2 in almost any model. They makes different sounds from all the rest of the PRS line. As others have said, let your ears decide. Any guitar that you like is great. Screw the category or price.

I don't either Dog and wouldn't seriously say it. My number one is a S2 Mira which isn't a "great bang for the buck" guitar, it's just a plain old really good guitar that was worth every penny.

Whats with all the hate towards the s2's? On a non PRS forum the comments are mostly positive, but here the PRS owners are not so happy with the s2's.

One reason could be is that they are the PRS for players who weren't into PRS. Nobody will ever argue that a PRS isn't a top notch build but the Core line isn't always to everyone's taste because of price or that they "look too nice". The fine folks at PRS figured out how to build a line of guitars for those people. The S2 line are not cut rate Core or over priced SE guitars but a line that stands on it's own merits of playability, looks, design and comfort(they may be some of the most comfortable guitars ever made). And in my opinion the Mira is a classic in the making.
Another reason is that after making a point that he believes that one piece necks are best Paul and his team are using what is essentially a three piece neck made from one piece of wood, and that doesn't sit well with some. What I do know is that the neck on the S2 is incredibly stable and nice in the hand. And you really have to look for the scarf and built up heel.

Last edited:
I just recently went on a quest to buy my first PRS guitar... I read up about the SE the S2 because a full blown PRS was out of my price range. I liked the idea that the S2's body/neck was built here in the USA. I figured the electronics weren't as important and could be replaced if needed.

By the time I got around to actually holding a S2 and SE in my hands I came to the conclusion that the SE was indeed a lesser quality guitar. When playing the SE's there was a odd feel as my fingers moved up and down the neck, like the edges of the frets weren't flush with the edge of the neck, or something. The S2 felt much nicer along the neck. At that point I was actually also considering getting a Gibson SG standard and I played a few of those. I thought the lower end Gibson SG standards were similar in feel to the S2s that I had played... the Pots on the S2 and on the lower priced Gibsons felt very similar, that being somewhat cheap feeling...

So anyway, I had found this PRS S2 Custom 24 'Sapphire Smokeburst' at Guitar Center. I leaned it had PRS 57/08 pickups in it, and I had been reading about how coveted these pickups can be, etc... I got my heart REALLY interested getting one of these guitars that are exclusive to Guitar Center... but the price... $1600. Now for me, I don't really play much, I just have fun in my spare time, trying to play a little better then I do... $1600 is a lot of money for me to spend on a guitar. Long story shorter, is that if that Sapphire Smokeburst that I played had felt better, had better setup ( the action in the middle of the neck was high, assumed the neck needed adjustment ). I would have bought the dam thing on impulse.

However, I went on to find local store with a used 2006 PRS Standard 24, they they were asking $950 for. After playing this, there was no way I was going to pay $1600 for a S2, even if it did have 5708 pickups in it. ( well, I do still have some thoughts that the Sapphire Smokeburst S2 with 5708s has some collector type of value, but not enough to make it really worth it for me ).

Bottom line is... I'd advise seeing if you can find a used PRS, not a SE or S2. Play one, then go play a SE or S2... I bet you'll feel the difference.

Not really knocking a S2, or even a SE... but they are NOT of the same quality as a 100% made in USA PRS guitar. As in cars... You really are going to take a hit with resale value when buying a new guitar, used guitars can be a excellent value. It just requires a bit more shopping around, but with the internet, shopping for used isn't that bad. Just make sure you've actually seen/felt the guitar before buying. I would have a very hard time buying a guitar that I've never held in my hands, no matter what brand/model it is.

Ok thanks for all the help guys, but today I pulled the trigger with my first PRS guitar! I thought I was going to get an SE and put new pick ups in it, but I bought an s2 instead. I would recommend the S2's over the SE's because of the superior build quality. Very happy with my first PRS.

Ok thanks for all the help guys, but today I pulled the trigger with my first PRS guitar! I thought I was going to get an SE and put new pick ups in it, but I bought an s2 instead. I would recommend the S2's over the SE's because of the superior build quality. Very happy with my first PRS.

Awesome! Post some pics when you get a chance.

Back