SE vs Core neck profiles. How close are they?

Isaac cruz

How close is an SE neck profile from it’s core counterpart? For instance, how similar is an SE Wide/fat to the current Pattern?

My Se’s Are both slightly wider and fatter. As others have noted, there is more variation in the Se naecks, even in the same model.

My Se’s Are both slightly wider and fatter. As others have noted, there is more variation in the Se naecks, even in the same model.

I agree with this. The only SE I had was a Bernie. It had a big, chunky neck that I loved. Others have said the SE WF varies some. They're a little bigger than the Core.

I can't compare my 30th SECU24 with any other PRS's, but compared to the Squier I had it is heavier, thicker, "clunkyer" but compared to the Chibson LP it is not as heavy and clunky. I like it as it is, but would be interested to try other necks like on a PG or S2 or SC

I have found that the SE W/F varies within the SE line... an SE model XYZ could feel totally different than SE model 123. It could be wider, flatter, fatter, skinnier, etc. This is why I can’t buy a SE sight unseen like I can buy a Core.

I can play Pattern/Pattern Vintage/Santana just fine but I can only play the early SEs because the later ones are just too wide for me.

When I first held a S2, I thought that the Pattern Regular was ‘almost’ too small for me since I was so used to Pattern, however, nowadays I find that Pattern Regular is comfortable ... I couldn’t go much smaller or thinner though.

I don’t find the SE neck shapes to be consistent enough to be compared the core necks. At least not for me.

I have an se ONE, and the neck feels almost like my 1st year McCarty..nice w/f! I’m in the middle of modding it. I’m putting a Paul’s treble in it, and a push pull volume pot..I’m still debating putting a tone control in it, though. I’ll post pics when it’s done....no, it’s not a “hello kitty” Squier...ugh.
I leveled and polished the frets, and while not feeling as substantial as the US type, they’re actually pretty nice. I am also changing the nut, and putting some nice old Sperzels on it, that I’ve had laying around for several years. I have to thank Bodia, for hooking me up with the pickup, and giving me the motivation to do this project. I’m in the process of documenting the process, so I’ll post it when it’s done.

I hate to admit it but, I notice a big difference in neck profiles with my newer(ish) SE’s too.

The neck on my Santana SE feels more w/t than the advertised w/f, my SE semi-hollow’s w/t feels like it’s been flattened on the back of the neck, and my SE CU24 w/t feels borderline Ibanez Wizard thin... they’re kinda all over the place, or at least the six or so that I own are.

The width of the neck (parallel to the strings) on my SE Cu24 Wide/Thin was similar to the width on my Core Cu24 Pattern Thin. The Core is a bit deeper and has more of a C-shape feel to it - only thing I've played similar has been a really cool Vintage/Modern Warmoth neck on my buddy's partscaster. The SE is like a cross between a Ibanez Wizard/ESP Thin C IMO. Both feel great though!

Back