SE v S2 Semi hollows

vashondan

Looking ahead to buying one or the other in the not too distant future. Any thoughts from those that own either or both? I bought my first PRS not too long ago (an SE 30th). Love it but did switch out the pickups. Hard to imagine the S2 being that much better but then I've never owned or even touched one.

They're both good... I have an S2 Custom Semi, my buddy has a ZM SE and an older SE CU22 Semi, and they all rock. I say buy for the features, as they're all a little different. The S2's, IMO, are a touch more refined, but that's not going to stop me from getting another SE.

The #7 pickups on the S2 semi-hollows are some of the sweetest sounding pickups you can get stock on a non-core PRS. The 245 pickups on the SE Zach Myers semi-hollow are nice as well, but I think the #7's are a cut above. Just my preference.You also get the locking tuners on the S2 - definite bang for the buck!

Thanks guys. The pickups would be a big consideration. I didn't like the ones that I got on the SE and for what the upgrades cost it was close to an S2. Any other refinements in addition to the pickups and locking tuners? I guess I need to go get them in my hands but thought this is a good place to ask.

S2's have coil split, SE semi's don't, and the S2 stoptail versions have the USA stoptail (vs the SE trem on the s2 custom).

To elaborate even more on the pickups, the S2 #7's are darker and mellow, the SE 245's in the ZM have a hot PAF vibe, with more bite and crunch. The Mira pickups were originally an uncovered 245 set, so they would probably be closer to the SE 245 set. I dig them both, just for different purposes. Both work for rock, the 7's more so for jazzy riffs, mellow blues, ultra creamy leads and clean or crunchy arpeggio riffs that won't get ice picky. The 245's for crunchier chording, tight heavy rock rhythms, more aggressive blues licks, etc.

I didn't care for the SE HFS/VB set in the 24 either. The bridge was hotter and brighter than I usually prefer, the neck too mid hollow, and for my tastes they were poorly matched. So if you echo any of those feelings, I think you'll like any of the other pickups.

I definitely feel my S2 Semi Hollow has more hollow body sound traits than my SE Semi Hollow did. My SE seemed only subtly different from my solid guitars. But the S2 is very different. But I'm comparing a Single Cut Semi Hollow S2 with a Custom Semi Hollow SE. Maybe the different body shapes are contributing more to that phenomenon than the SE/S2 manufacturing.

Last edited:
I have a Zach Meyer SE and I love it, the neck is perfect. I bought it used. It was my first PRS and I'm totally smitten with the brand and product quality. Now if I was to do it again, knowing what I know now, I'd opt for a semi-hollow CU22 or Single Cut. The refinements or the SE are worth it and the cost is a secondary consideration for me. That all said, my next PRS will likely be a used McCarty or DGT. Love the PRS quality, playability and tone.

I'm also very interested in the S2 semi-hollow. I think I like the described sound of the #7 pickups. But I wish the Custom 22 came with a stoptail.

Thanks for putting up this thread.

Last edited:
I have a Zach Meyer SE and I love it, the neck is perfect. I bought it used. It was my first PRS and I'm totally smitten with the brand and product quality. Now if I was to do it again, knowing what I know now, I'd opt for a semi-hollow CU22 or Single Cut. The refinements or the SE are worth it and the cost is a secondary consideration for me. That all said, my next PRS will likely be a used McCarty or DGT. Love the PRS quality, playability and tone.

I agree about the Zach Myers - got mine recently and the quality and sound has blown me away - neck is fantastic and the sustain goes on forever.

What about single cut vs double. I see that the double cut as dual controls. Is that simply because the single cut has the 3 way toggle on the top of the guitar. I personally like double cuts better but I also like the idea of dual controls.

Yes I can confirm that SE245 Zebras I particularly like the bite of the bridge pickup

I added brushed nickel covers to the SE 245 pups in my ZM, it took a touch of the harsher treble off the pickups (especially in the neck position), something that I was hoping would happen.

A follow up question...What about the S2 Mira Semi Hollow? How does it match up with the Custom 22 Semi?

I have an SE CU 24 and swapped out the pickups, made a HUGE difference.
Recently I was going back and forth between a "hot rodded" SE Zach Meyers with quite a few upgrades and a stock S2 SC semi hollow.
Both were very close in tone. In the end I went with the S2 simply because of neck feel. The S2 was much more comfortable to play imo.

There's a fine looking SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow at the shop near me, just saw it again today. But with the S2 Semi in the stable, I can't justify it, although echoing markintime's statement above I would love one with a stoptail, which the SE does have.

I'm waiting to find the right solid body SE CU22 - my first PRS was an original SE Custom 22, loved that guitar but sold it when it sustained some damage (and then more damage when I tried to fix said damage). Now that they have the new one with birds, beveled top, toggle and a stoptail - I think one of those will be coming home to fill that little hole in my heart.

A follow up question...What about the S2 Mira Semi Hollow? How does it match up with the Custom 22 Semi?

The S2 Mira semi-hollow is a stop tail, but the S2 CU22 Semi-hollow has a tremolo. The pickup differences are described above. Also the Mira has a pickguard, where the CU22 does not. The Mira is all Mahogany, but the CU22 has a flamed maple top.

Back