SE Tremonti Standard - They changed the electronics layout & cavity cover?

Relic

PRS Pulse Artist
PRS Pulse Artist
Hi all,

I'm opening this thread to double-check, as I have just received a PRS SE Tremonti Standard (2019/2020 w/ Trem) in Europe from Thomann, that this isn't a one-off / QC slip.

Basically, it seems they changed the control layout from what's on my other USA Tremonti's, USA Singlecuts & SE Tremonti Custom. What used to be the Bridge Vol on the others, on this new one is now Neck Tone, so basically Gibson wiring instead of PRS Singlecut/Tremonti wiring.

Expected layout:
onHWG5T.jpg

Layout that's actually on my new SE Tremonti Standard:

5Dt8hSJ.jpg

It also seems since the shift to Indonesia for the SE Tremonti Standard, they're using a different control cavity cover, both in size (1mm off on 2 of the sides) and different location for the screws, as pictured here (Left = Old SE Tremonti, Right = New SE Tremonti Standard:

u6SW56e.jpg

Has anyone noticed the change in the wiring or is it just my unit?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm not trying to bash the guitar, I love the thin neck and the Tremonti S pickups sound infinitely better than the 1st gen G&B Tremonti SE pickups, to the point where I won't be upgrading them! Only asking as I didn't think I'd have to get my tech to swap the pots / solder points around.

Hmmmm, that is more like the McCarty layout. "Bridge vol" and "neck tone" pots are swapped. Swap those two pots physically, no rewire?

The photo you refered to as the 'new layout' looks like a Les Paul to me. BTW, it's funny to share with you that I myself has tried an SE Tremonti Standard with wrong wiring once. Don't remember well but IIRC it's like the controls for treble pup were placed where the bass controls would have been.

And yes, that guitar is Indonesian Cor-Tek made...

Last edited:
Hmmmm, that is more like the McCarty layout. "Bridge vol" and "neck tone" pots are swapped. Swap those two pots physically, no rewire?

I thought about doing that, but after inspecting the electronics, it looks like some of the cabling is a little on the short side, and wouldn't allow for much manoeuvrability. Still, easy enough job with a soldering iron and a few minutes.

The photo you refered to as the 'new layout' looks like a Les Paul to me. BTW, it's funny to share with you that I myself has tried an SE Tremonti Standard with wrong wiring once. Don't remember well but IIRC it's like the controls for treble pup were placed where the bass controls would have been.

Yes, the "new layout" pic is from a LP as I was looking for something online for a quick reference, instead of me having to hop into photoshop :D. Did you try more than one SE Tremonti Standard, and if so, were they all the same "wrong" wiring?

The guitar itself is fine, properly setup and structurally fine, it's just surprising that no one else reported these changes, so hoping to put this out there in case anyone else down the line has the same questions.

Back