se tremonti custom pickups swap

steviecapt

i,ve had the trmonti for a few weeks now, great handling guitar, love the neck, but i find the pickups too dark n bassy, what would you guys think would be a good alternative to give a more versatile guitar, i was looking at the emg jh set, but i dont know if these would be any brighter in sound, or seymour duncan, custom custom and pearly gates, what do you guys think, or other alternatives, cheers steve, i play through a blackstar id tvp15 amp, or would a boss gt 100 multi fx unit , be a better option, i havnt been playing long so i dont know all the options, i would like to be able to play things like hotel california to metallica.

I would not call the jh emg set "versatile". I have the zw set in one of SEs and though it screams, it's a one trick pony. I use it for the heavy heavy stuff (tallica, disturbed, some godsmack, a7x, etc.) but there's not much else they do well.

I think tremonti set is way more versatile! You may need to play with your amp settings if it's too bassy.

I've had a few different sets in my Tremonti.... started out with the USA Tremonti pickups to Bareknuckle Aftermaths and now I've settled on Seymour Duncan Custom and Jazz set. Really love this combo, especially for the versatility. Lots of clarity and tightness in the low end. I keep this guitar in Drop B and play a lot of clean ambient stuff to melodic hard rock/ borderline prog metal stuff. Wouldn't recommend the EMG's if you wanna stay versatile. I would look at Seymour Duncan's like you said and take a look a some of the Bareknuckle sets, cheers

yeah i thought the emg,s would be too much, iv,e tried all the settings on the amp, would it be better to get a multi fx pedal, for more settings, or wouldnt it make much difference, or how about seymour duncan jb/jazz set ?

I have USA Mira pickups in my Tremonti, with coil taps. The sound is great, it`s very versatile. I have the Duncan combination in an SE Singlecut. Very nice, but the low end on the Miras will work for the so called heavy stuff.

I would not call the jh emg set "versatile". I have the zw set in one of SEs and though it screams, it's a one trick pony. I use it for the heavy heavy stuff (tallica, disturbed, some godsmack, a7x, etc.) but there's not much else they do well.

I think tremonti set is way more versatile! You may need to play with your amp settings if it's too bassy.

I would definitely call the Het set versatile! It's an active pup that sounds like a really nice passive. I've played the LTD Iron Cross a couple times and have always been surprised at how easy it is to get a nice tone out of them. I'm not a fan of actives simply because I always forget to unplug them (damn batteries), but if I were to ever go active, these would be my first choice.

That being said, I've got an SE Singlecut that I've put SD pickups in and it sounds fantastic. I've got a '59 in the neck and a Custom Custom in the bridge. The '59 is very versatile with nice, full cleans and leads sound good from lightly overdriven blues to high gain rock. The Custom Custom is a nice sounding pickup that's med/high output but can also dial down pretty well for decent clean tone too. It's also not as bright and harsh as the JB.

Try a set of USA Tremonti pups. I've also had luck with Bare Knuckles, they all sound amazing. For my two Tremonti SE's I've been intsalled the USA Tremonti and the USA \m/ set. I ordered both from the PRS store.

thanx for all the replies guys, just had a chat with the guys at bare knuckles pickups, they suggest the mule set, it seems its their best sellers, pricey though, but ive learnt in the past, you usually get what you pay for, especially mountain bikes, which is my first hobby.

Maybe this is a dumb question, I apologize if you have already, but have you tried adjusting your pickups? I think the SE 245 pickups are fantastic. You can play with overall pickup height, and lowering the bass side doesn't do the trick, try lowering the whole pickup and raising the polepiece screws just under the treble strings. I just put a spare set of SE 245's in a Mira X that I picked up, and they sound incredible.

Maybe this is a dumb question, I apologize if you have already, but have you tried adjusting your pickups? I think the SE 245 pickups are fantastic. You can play with overall pickup height, and lowering the bass side doesn't do the trick, try lowering the whole pickup and raising the polepiece screws just under the treble strings. I just put a spare set of SE 245's in a Mira X that I picked up, and they sound incredible.

Great advice too! I love the 245 pickups in my se245. When I eventually get a tremonti SE custom I intend to put the USA tremonti pickups in it, but the stick 245s will go in something - possibly into my Santana and I'll take the emg set out.

thanx for all the replies guys, just had a chat with the guys at bare knuckles pickups, they suggest the mule set, it seems its their best sellers, pricey though, but ive learnt in the past, you usually get what you pay for, especially mountain bikes, which is my first hobby.

The Mules are an awesome set.. Have a set in a Mushok Baritone and they are legit. So much clarity and response. Would recommend over the USA Tremonti's. Take a look at the PRS 59/09 sets to.

i have been in touch with the guys at bare knuckles, great customer service btw, makes a change these days, looks like i will choose the mule set, and then either eq foot pedal, or the zoom 5 multi pedal unit, my wallets gonna take another hit, this hobby is getting adictive, mind you i wont tell you how much ive spent on mountain bikes over the years, my attitude is you only get one chance at life , so dont waste it, its only money, cant take it with you ?, some good suggestions guys thanx. the more i play the guitar the more im loving it

I have these in mine, and I really like them.
http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?629-SE-Mods&p=200481&viewfull=1#post200481

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/sets/dimebag_signatu/

3.jpg

Back