SE Tremonti Custom - Neck Rattle

VStratto Music

Ladies and gentlemen, on this chapter of my PRS troubles, my guitar's neck rattles when I put heavier strings on it, I was using .10s and that works fine but when I try to tune lower, and so adding heavier strings, my neck rattles around the 9th fret area, I have .11s on it now, and I can trigger the most disgusting rattle by playing a chord across all of the harmonics on the 12th fret, the trussrod seems fine, because it's working as intended and responds to any minor adjustment that I do to it. This rattle can also be exaggerated if I put a Tremol-no on the guitar, more resonance = louder guitar = louder rattle, but it's not on. Also as soon as I touch that area & the headstock with the palm of my hand, the rattling stops dead. If I knock with my knuckles on the headstock I can hear the hollow in it, but no rattle. Muting the strings behind the nut has little effect.

Any tips, any input..please?

Make sure the truss rod cover is nice and secure, or try taking it off and see if the problem persists. I've had a couple situations where the cover would vibrate when certain notes were played. Tightening the cover screw cleared it up.

Make sure the truss rod cover is nice and secure, or try taking it off and see if the problem persists. I've had a couple situations where the cover would vibrate when certain notes were played. Tightening the cover screw cleared it up.

I took it off, tried and it still rattles, the trussrod right now is something like 0,5mm off the 8th fret with the 1st and last frets pressed, I did it to compensate for the low action a bit, maybe I should straighten up the neck?

Back