SE Tonare T50e electronics failed - PTC or local shop?

shinksma

What? I get a title?
TL;DR version:

Should I get my SE T50e sent into PRS to have the pickup electronics fixed, or have a local repair shop look at it (not Guitar Center, unless someone can say with confidence that Orlando-area GCs have qualified staff suddenly)?

I bought it just less than two years ago, "new" from Dave's Guitar Shop.

Long version:

Last night, mid-gig, my T50e started "popping" as I played - any sudden contact (like a hard strum) would induce a loud pop, as though the audio was being connected/disconnected suddenly. But it was sporadic, especially at first - it would start half way through a song. I also play mandolin, so I would swap back to that for a while, but trying another song later on it came back part way through. I basically stuck with mando for the rest of the night.

Tried a new battery, just in case. Still there. Tried different connection (hard cable vs wireless). Still there.

So I figured it was a loose connection that "touched properly" when the guitar was vertical on a rack, but not so much when horizontal while playing.

I re-created the problem this morning - so not just some transient weirdness. Took out the battery, and removed the screws to pull the jack/battery assembly out to inspect. Connections down there looked good, and tested fine with a multimeter as best I could get to. Pulling out the assembly meant pulling on the cable harness a bit, and I guess that was the final straw, and now no signal is produced.

I don't see any loose connections, but obviously Something Went Wrong.

P.S. I'm asking the forum because it is Sunday noontime, and PRS won't be around to contact until tomorrow. So I have a chance to ask your valued opinions.

Back