SE SVN Replacement Parts

anorexemon

Hi guys!

I've been taking a look at two PRS SE guitars; the SVN and the Mark Holcomb Signature. I love everything about the Mark Holcomb signature apart from the 20" radius fretboard, and the fact that it only has 6 strings. However, cosmetically, the SVN isn't really my cup of tea.

I've searched online, and reached out to PRS customer support for information on the bridge and tuners on the SVN, but to no avail. I haven't modified guitars before, so I have some concerns. Could you guys point me in the right direction for any of the following?
  • Black locking tuners: I've seen that people have had success with Sperzel and Hipshot locking tuners on the Mark Holcomb model. My concern now is finding a 7th tuner - are there any differing dimensions I need to worry about if I were to buy a single tuner for the 7th string?
  • Black bridge: I can't seem to find any information on the exact dimensions of the bridge on the SVN. I've come across a "7 String Fixed Guitar Bridge" on Hipshot's website (no links sadly, I'm new here), but the screw holes don't match the SVN, and I'd prefer not to drill into the SVN unless absolutely necessary. Would a bridge be safe/stable with only the outer screws?
Other than that, I really love the SVN. Ideally I'd switch out the humbuckers for a set of LiquiFire/Crunchlab in black, with black frames. I'd also switch the 3 way blade to have a black top rather than cream. However, replacement parts for these two are easy to find.

Any advice is welcome, and apologies if I'm in the wrong place!

EDIT: Formatting

Hipshot sell 7-string sets out of the box, so you don't need to order a 6+1, and the 7th will be drilling to accept a wider gauge string. However, I don't think the holes line up so you'd need to drill new holes for the Hipshots. I may be mistaken, I have a set lying around that I bought for my old SE Cu24 7 before it was nicked, and now I've got a SVN to replace it but haven't checked if they'll fit yet.

I'm also after a black bridge for mine, so will follow with interest. I know I've seen a thread on sevenstring.org where someone did have to drill extra holes to get a Hipshot to fit, but the bridge hid them once it was fitted.
Not sure how much I'd trust a bridge to hold with only the outer screws, hopefully someone with more wisdom can chime in.

Tuners:
  • Hipshot - I like to buy their stuff from Sport Hi-Tech on Reverb. They'll set you up with a 7-string set. You'll need to drill for the mounting holes, unless maybe you can modify their universal mounting plates to fit.
  • Another great bet for 7-string is John Mann. He makes a PRS Phase II type for SE. They aren't cheap, but they fit the SE footprint with no mods.
Bridge:
  • Looks the same as the one from the older SE-7, which doesn't match up directly to anything else. Hipshot has been the go-to for that. As mentioned the mounting holes are different, but it's not that tough to install.
Pickups:
  • Measure the pickup cavities before you buy. DiMarzio 7-string pickups are longer than G&B, Duncan, etc. PRS may have changed the cavity spec for the SVN, but the older SE-7 would not accommodate DiMarzio pups without routing.

I replaced my SVN bridge with a black one that was direct drop in. Was recommended by a guy in Facebook Prs group. I can later post a picture about it when I'm home tomorrow.

Its basically the same baseplate as the original, all holes align. Imo the saddles are a little better even than the stock SVN bridge.

Heres the link to the bridge and seller I bought mine from:
https://reverb.com/item/17891796-hi...black?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share

Oh and for tuner Schaller M6 locking tuners are also direct dropins.

Back