SE SVN pups - amazing DCR values

FunkyFreeman

Moo Panuwat
Hi guys, I've found sth interesting about SVN and think it should be shared to you all as this surprised me.

As modding project of my SE SVN goes on, I happened to wonder how DCR value on these 85/15 'S' 7 String would be. I thought the reading would be kinda low-medium since these seem to be an incarnation of the old-days-inspired 85/15.

So I did measured them. Surprisingly, the treble pup reads more than 16k, while the neck pup weighs in at 9k. These obviously aren't low output pups at all...

t7qQREm.jpg

sCDZzNq.jpg

5jGtJPL.jpg

Despite having such high output, but to my ears these aren't either sound harsh or ice-picky at all. They don't make me feel like I'm playing a metal-ish guitar, but stead an amazingly versatile axe, simply put. Loving it even more!!
W1QTqRA

Being 7-string, the longer bobbins run the DCR up. However, those look like the readings from my 7-string SE HFS and VB pickups, which means they're quite different from a Core set of 85/15.

Does the bridge pickup have a ceramic magnet? Makes me wonder if PRS has pulled one over on us and just renamed the same old pickups...

Being 7-string, the longer bobbins run the DCR up. However, those look like the readings from my 7-string SE HFS and VB pickups, which means they're quite different from a Core set of 85/15.

Does the bridge pickup have a ceramic magnet? Makes me wonder if PRS has pulled one over on us and just renamed the same old pickups...

Yeah yeah, that's what I now wondering if it's possible these actually are 7 stringed SE HFS+VB pups carried over from discontinued SE CU24 7 String model. How do I know which types of magnet used?

There's no model labels attached under the base plates either - only G&B stamped as SE pups have been for a decade. The thing is I notice many newer SE CU24 guitars have model name stickers underneath as shown in photo below. Possibly mine are really old HFS set... IDK

CyWAPbG.jpg

Last edited:
Having had both the old SE Custom 24-7 and the new SVN, the 85/15 S pickups fitted to the SVNs are much better than the old SE HFS/VB. The bridge is much less muddy and less scooped. I really didn't like the HFS but find the 85/15 perfectly serviceable.

Bear in mind the DCR doesn't tell us anything about the output without context. We know it's higher than the 6 string version because it's a 7-string pickup, and we don't know what wire they're using. I would guess from the sound it's an A5 magnet, but output wise it's not as hot as my JB in another guitar, and noticeably quieter than EMGs. I'd call it medium output at best.

One change I see already is the new ones pictured have nickel/silver baseplates vs. brass used on the older ones. Some say a brass baseplate saps some highs from the tone.

I had one 7-string SE VB that measured at 10.3k. I have another which I measured at 10.1k. So it looks like maybe they did take a little heat off the neck pickup.

Both of the 7-string SE HFS I measured were at 16.6k.

Based on the readings and what I know of the regular HFS/VB, it's safe to assume the VB is using 42ga wire, and the HFS uses 43ga. I would make the same conclusion about these new 85 7-string series as well.

If you want to get an idea of magnet type, check at the end of the pup below the bobbins. You'll have to pull the tape up a little, but you can get a glimpse of the magnet. If it is dark gray/black, it is ceramic. If it is silver, it is alnico.

I did some magnet swaps on my SE HFS 7 and replacing the ceramic magnet with A5 cleared out a good deal of the harsh (to me) mids and brought the output down a little.

But this is largely just fun speculation. To reinforce timmy's point, even if the DCR is the same, the coil winds and magnets could be different, both of which will change the tone.

One change I see already is the new ones pictured have nickel/silver baseplates vs. brass used on the older ones. Some say a brass baseplate saps some highs from the tone.

I had one 7-string SE VB that measured at 10.3k. I have another which I measured at 10.1k. So it looks like maybe they did take a little heat off the neck pickup.

Both of the 7-string SE HFS I measured were at 16.6k.

Based on the readings and what I know of the regular HFS/VB, it's safe to assume the VB is using 42ga wire, and the HFS uses 43ga. I would make the same conclusion about these new 85 7-string series as well.

If you want to get an idea of magnet type, check at the end of the pup below the bobbins. You'll have to pull the tape up a little, but you can get a glimpse of the magnet. If it is dark gray/black, it is ceramic. If it is silver, it is alnico.

I did some magnet swaps on my SE HFS 7 and replacing the ceramic magnet with A5 cleared out a good deal of the harsh (to me) mids and brought the output down a little.

But this is largely just fun speculation. To reinforce timmy's point, even if the DCR is the same, the coil winds and magnets could be different, both of which will change the tone.

I'll try to see. Thank you for your info!

Back