SE Stoptail Bridge - worth upgrading?

Crazybayman

I have a Custom 22 SE on the way that has a stoptail bridge. Is it worth upgrading?

I upgraded the trem in my custom 24 SE to a NOS2000, which was worthwhile. Definitely a noticeable difference in tone and looks. Considering doing the same with the stoptail, however just want to see if it's something that others have done, and if there a noticeable difference?

Thanks in advance!

Completely agree with this. It changed the tone a little. But the sustain and clarity are noticeable.
Thanks guys. Should I the MannMade studs too? They come with Imperial studs.

I'm not sure it's really worth changing the bridge, but definitely spend the $20-ish bucks for the MannMade metric studs.
OK, thanks. Any idea what the reason is? Also, is just changing the studs fine, or would I have to change the inserts too?

Thanks guys. Should I the MannMade studs too? They come with Imperial studs.

OK, thanks. Any idea what the reason is? Also, is just changing the studs fine, or would I have to change the inserts too?

I don't think there's a whole lot to gain, tonally. With a vibrato bridge, I think it makes a lot more sense to get the higher quality, better functioning MannMade unit. However, I think swapping stoptails is a marginal advantage. It's in no way a knock on the product; I had the MannMade stoptail and it's an excellent piece. It did sound a twinge better than the first-version PRS adjustable I replaced.

I like John's metric studs for an SE because they have a tighter tolerance than the SE versions. No need to replace the stud wells, so it's an easy swap. They also have that look and feel of quality that you already know about.

When it comes to the actual one-piece stoptail, I've compared the SE to the USA version and I find no real difference except maybe the plating is a little nicer on the USA version. They're both aluminum and the examples I had weighed the exact same. But of course the MannMade is a different beast.

Anyway, all that rambling is just food for thought. John Mann makes awesome stuff and if you like the bridge and it makes you like your guitar more, go for it!

I don't think there's a whole lot to gain, tonally. With a vibrato bridge, I think it makes a lot more sense to get the higher quality, better functioning MannMade unit. However, I think swapping stoptails is a marginal advantage. It's in no way a knock on the product; I had the MannMade stoptail and it's an excellent piece. It did sound a twinge better than the first-version PRS adjustable I replaced.

I like John's metric studs for an SE because they have a tighter tolerance than the SE versions. No need to replace the stud wells, so it's an easy swap. They also have that look and feel of quality that you already know about.

When it comes to the actual one-piece stoptail, I've compared the SE to the USA version and I find no real difference except maybe the plating is a little nicer on the USA version. They're both aluminum and the examples I had weighed the exact same. But of course the MannMade is a different beast.

Anyway, all that rambling is just food for thought. John Mann makes awesome stuff and if you like the bridge and it makes you like your guitar more, go for it!
Sounds great. Makes sense. Thanks for that!

Completely agree with this. It changed the tone a little. But the sustain and clarity are noticeable.
How’s the action? I’m considering a Mann as no other bridge I’ve tried gets me the low action and I’m talking normal not buzzy low

Mann’s adjustable is phenomenal. It’s worth it to me if you’re replacing an adjustable from PRS.

Now if it’s PRS wraptail…Perfect intonation and I love the brass inserts version. I wouldn’t personally move on from wraptail unless you’re playing in a non standard tuning and need finer intonation.

And 1000x percent use Mann’s studs on SE. MUCH better tolerance. The core studs are great on their own unless you want Mann’s options for colors (i prefer his brass compared to PRS gold studs).

I’m supposed to be getting the Mannmade bridge with metric studs tomorrow and I’ll post the results soon!

L28ijyH.jpg

Does anybody know what the saddles and screws are made of on the bridge on the right? It’s a mid 2010’s adjustable bridge off an older zach myers. I’m curious to know if it’s steel (or zinc) vs something like nickel covered brass. I know the newer bridges (the one on the left) has brass screws and saddles. I kinda like the all silver color

Try using a magnet.
It won’t stick to brass.
Does zinc alloys attract magnets? My experience with cheap fender tremolo blocks is that they don’t. That’s how you know if quality steel is being used. I thought I had read somewhere that older adjustable bridges were more aluminum zinc hybrids. But I had no idea what the saddles were

Interesting. I was under the impression the new adjustable were all brass saddles, even on the SE. Thank you for the answer. I suspected the older was all zinc based on looks and previous descriptions but I couldn’t find any confirmation

Does zinc alloys attract magnets? My experience with cheap fender tremolo blocks is that they don’t. That’s how you know if quality steel is being used. I thought I had read somewhere that older adjustable bridges were more aluminum zinc hybrids. But I had no idea what the saddles were
. You are correct. No attraction.

Back