SE Starla vs SE 245

Russ73

Bern jamming with the guys recently and looking for an inexpensive PRS to bring out of the house....dont currenly own a singlecut so I'm looking at these 2 used....I know the scale length are slightly different but I'm comfortable with both and the starla is slightly thinner body so which would you guys choose??

The SE Starla is brighter and sounds more Gretsch like. The SE 245 is more like their entry level Les Paul. I'm more of a Starla guy. Because, I tend to play clean to mild breakup.

+1

The 245 is what you want if you live on the bridge pickup and want a big, fat, punchy tone. Slight trade off is that the neck pickup can get muddy especially with gain. Starla is brighter and not as thick sounding, but probably more versatile.

The Starla has coil-splitting if you want/need that, which from what I've seen in videos, sounds really, really good for the SE line. I've heard both Chris Robertson from BSC and Seth Morrison from Skillet say that the old S2 Starla was a perfect, do-all guitar for multiple genres. I'm personally interested in grabbing a Starla for church stuff, as well as messing around with other tones to see how it feels. I would recommend that based on my own curiosity lol

I have both and changed the pickups in both. With the right amp, the Starla stock pickups can be very versatile. They sound really well when paired with an Orange amp (in my opinion); very thick sound when distorted. I, personally, prefer higher output pickups, thus the need for the pickup change. As for the feel of the guitar, the Starla is lighter than the 245 but both guitars are rather comfortable to play.

Back